By Anonymous - 22/05/2009 18:39 - United States

Today, my company filed for bankruptcy, but the reorganize kind where it still functions. There are no funds to give out paychecks any time soon. They won't fire me. If I voluntarily quit, I cannot file for unemployment. I'm now an unpaid intern. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 006
You deserved it 2 982

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, that is illegal (at least in my state). By law they are required to pay you, by the conditions outlined by your employment, for the work you have done for a week by the following Friday, if they can't pay you they have to terminate you.

You best start stealing as much crap as you can then, remember all the money is in Forks, no one wants spoons nowadays.

Comments

dont do any work.. turn up and use the internet

Just don't show up. Then they'll fire you and you don't even have to do anything. Or just get a new job.

Sunflowerkiss89 0

Just don't work or do what you are told, they'll eventually fire you.

Whatever you do, talk it over with your boss first. Recommendations are important. Also, he might have more information about the immanence of payroll. If you stay with the company, they might be able to pay you eventually, maybe including back pay. If you stay with them, this is more likely. Or they might simply lay you off and write off their debt to you. An intermediate solution could be to reduce your hours until payroll comes through, using that time to search for jobs. Good luck.

the EXACT same thing happened to me except they lied and said we'd get paid soon. they owed me $3000 by the end of it all. the company ended up going under, so i applied for unemployment. i was reading the papers and you CAN filed if you quit- as long as you quit because the other party isn't holding up their end of the deal (which they're not, because part of your deal is that you'd get paid). this if true for ohio, at least. call the unemployment offices- you probably qualify!

...That's GOT to be illegal. People suck. Sorry, babe. D: FYL.

You guys are very ignorant... Right now it's very HARD to just waltz out of your front door and 'find a new job'.. Like they're giving them away or something. Right now most of the opening jobs are being coveted.. and they basically take only the best of the best. It's still an economic 'recession' despite what anyone thinks..

Well, I guess you can slack off and do some job hunting at work. What are they gonna do, stop paying you? (haha) Or maybe hire someone else at a starting salary of $0? (haha) Do what #99 said.

wawenockchick 0

all companies do the reorganizing thing when they file for bankruptcy dumbass.

FYL. Good luck looking for a new job, definitely don't stay there if you can find a decent one soon.