By Anonymous - 22/05/2009 18:39 - United States

Today, my company filed for bankruptcy, but the reorganize kind where it still functions. There are no funds to give out paychecks any time soon. They won't fire me. If I voluntarily quit, I cannot file for unemployment. I'm now an unpaid intern. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 006
You deserved it 2 982

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, that is illegal (at least in my state). By law they are required to pay you, by the conditions outlined by your employment, for the work you have done for a week by the following Friday, if they can't pay you they have to terminate you.

You best start stealing as much crap as you can then, remember all the money is in Forks, no one wants spoons nowadays.

Comments

Actually, if they change the terms of your employment, you can still get unemployment if you quit (at least in CA). And it's highly illegal for them to not pay you. But you should be able to get unemployment without a problem. Check your local UI info for details.

sk212sa 0

Thats a lie, almost every country requires companies pay employees first, before creditors. You should sue.

Even an intern must be paid at least minimum wage if you are doing real work. They can only get away with not paying you if you are only there to learn. Talk to the unemployment office. If your pay was involuntarily cut off, then you are eligible unless they can prove you were fired for cause. Being malacious or trying to get yourself fired are the stupidest things you can do. One thing to watch out for is if you need the recommendation from these people. If you cause a ruckess with the unemployment office they might get angry.

vag_fml 0

#65--wrong. most interns don't get paid. but true. the op is NOT an intern. speak to the state, these people are getting away with it because they are being allowed to get away with it. and true to talk the the unemployment office, your pay was cut without cause.

Cittenscollar 0

#66 - read up on the Fair Labor Standards Act. http://www.thehrspecialist.com/7137/Rites_of_Spring_The_Hidden_Dangers_of_Hiring_Unpaid_Interns.hr?cat=employment_law&sub_cat=flsa "Generally, the FLSA provides that if your company benefits from the use of interns, you're required to pay them at least minimum wage."

jamm1n 0

thats not true, if they reduce your wages or stop paying you completely thats legitimate reasons to quit and still get unemployment

BikerMike 0

I would be calling EEOC, labor relations boards etc.

is this in the US? i live in canada and thats incredibly stupid. well it looks like you can start taking naps in the back and building forts and stuff till they fire you. then if its like canada, you can still collect umeployment after waiting a few weeks penalty.