By pinchy - 07/03/2011 03:00 - United States

Today, my boyfriend told me he was taking me out to eat to his favorite restaurant. He said I could order whatever I wanted and he'd pay for it. He took me to Red Lobster, knowing full well that I'm allergic to seafood. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 975
You deserved it 4 638

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kefka91 15

I s'pose this is a bad time to tell you that he also has crabs then... fyl

Comments

they've got steak and stuff...unless it's one of those "I can't breathe even -around- seafood allergies....

thatonedame 6

they have other things on the menu. stop being a whiney little bitch. he said HIS favorite restaurant. not yours. relationships are full of compromise, it's not like you're a vegetarian and he drug you to a steak house. but even there they still have salad. rust be glad he took you out in public. or that he even puts up with your selfish ass.

notsoluckypup 12

That's one mean-ass joke...

has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, Red Lobster's non-seafood dishes come into contact with seafood. even though there are other items on the menu at Red Lobster, it doesn't mean the OP can eat any of it. red lobster is one of my personal favorites, but we have to avoid it because a family member is allergic to seafood, not just shellfish, and the slightest contact of his dish to seafood causes allergic reaction.

This is why you inform your server of a food allergy. They have to make sure that what your food is prepped on is free of the allergen. Simple as that.

Crystiella 0

Support to 119 That's what my mom has to do and there's never been a problem.

xundria 5

I can't believe no one noticed she says she's going to eat the restaurant... You people disappoint me.

princesspixie 0

they have more than just seafood. they have chicken and steak so stop bitching and eat

It's not so much that her bf took her to a seafood restaurant despite there being other things on the menu; is it possible that the worst part is that he forgot that you're allergic to seafood? Maybe he just didn't connect the dots. Kinda sucks for you though OP. Limited meal choice, and a moderate chance that the non-seafood meal you do order has been into contact with seafood, thus causing an allergic reaction. Hope your bf didn't book a reservation, so you can tell him... FYL

ThickHead 0

they have meat there too, like steak, it's really slaty but still good

You should have ordered the most expensive plate there and just left it untouched. Make the bastard pay. FYL

I spent this weekend at various seafood restaurants with someone who is severely allergic to shellfish (as in, if he touches a plate that has had shellfish on it, he has a bad reaction), each time because someone besides him wanted to get seafood. Did he complain? Not once. He ordered things that didn't have shellfish, was careful about touching other people's plates, and enjoyed the meals and company. It sucks to have a food allergy (I have one as well), but you can't expect people to change things like their favorite restaurant to accommodate you. Should he have forewarned you and asked your opinion? Probably. But, you you need to be willing to roll with the punches. If you want to stay with this guy, you have to deal with the fact that he's going to want shellfish and to go to Red Lobster from time to time.