Happy Birthday

By Birthday Boy - 06/12/2017 05:00

Today, my family asked where I wanted to go for my birthday dinner. They shot down my every suggestion and decided on sushi. I'm allergic, so the only thing I could eat was a veggie appetizer. Dad said I need to "expand my palate." FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 147
You deserved it 340

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

That sucks, OP. Hope you didn't go to bed hungry.

You could munch down on wasabi, pickled ginger and soy sauce you want. Sounds like a perfect day!!

corky1992 33

Wow. How selfish. My family always went where I wanted for my birthday. They’d never make me eat at a place they knew I didn’t like or was allergic to.

How shellfish... ;) So sorry to hear about your allergies OK :(

Oh, that’s just not fair. It’s your birthday, you should definitely have gotten to choose where to eat. I’m sorry OP, I hope next year is a better one. :)

On the one hand, they should have respected your choice as it was your birthday. On the other hand, I've never been to a single sushi place that did not offer more than one choice of meat; in fact every sushi place has also offered (including fish and shellfish) chicken, beef and pork. What kind of sushi place was this that did not have non-seafood options? Something seems fishy to me lol

It really depends on the restaurant. I've been to seafood restaurants where the one and only non-seafood option was a chicken sandwich, which turned out to be a warmed-up frozen fried chicken patty (basically a large chicken nugget) on a hamburger bun, with nothing else on it -- no lettuce, mayo, anything, just lukewarm chicken and a withered, crumpled bun. It really was like the restaurant was saying, "If you don't like seafood, why are you even here? Please don't come back, because we don't care about you." Also, places that specialize in fish/seafood/sushi don't always prepare the non-fish/seafood/sushi stuff separately, and those alternate menu items are potentially contaminated with the thing you're allergic to. If a restaurant offers fried fish and French fries, the chances are good that the fries are fried in the same oil as the fish, and they will smell and taste fishy.

onceuponatime456 16

Sometimes seafood allergies are so severe the smell will kill the allergic person.

Oh, boy do I feel for you on this one. If I eat fish or shellfish, it is almost certain that I will throw up within an hour or so of eating (not the severe allergic reaction of going into anaphylactic shock, but the milder allergic reaction that is very similar to food poisoning). If I eat food that has been fried in the same oil as fish, I will get queasy at minimum, and will have to spend a few hours swilling Pepto Bismol and keeping an empty bin near me, just in case. And when I turn down an offer of fish or shrimp because "it will make me sick -- literally, not figuratively," most people act as if I've said "I just don't like that." No, it's not a matter of taste. It's a matter of my body physically rejecting fish and seafood, and I have zero control over it. As annoying as it may be, all you can do is just keep repeating, as calmly as you can, "No, thank you. I'm allergic to that. It's something that I need to avoid ever eating if I value my health."

Lobby_Bee 17

Your dad's intention are fishy.

What was the point of them asking you where you wanted to go for dinner if they ended up rejecting all your suggestions?

Little did you know your gift was actually a night at the hospital! How thoughtful! :)