By Anonymous - 17/07/2012 16:20 - United States - Palmdale

Today, my boyfriend of several years, and father of our one-year-old child, finally proposed. He was making idle conversation from twenty feet away and casually said, "By the way, you wanna get hitched?" This is as romantic as my life will ever get. Yay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 142
You deserved it 9 626

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You never know. He could take you on a romantic getaway to the nearest McDonalds.

Think long and hard before you answer.

Comments

You never know. He could take you on a romantic getaway to the nearest McDonalds.

TheDrifter 23

And at the Denny's bridal shower, you might even get the ultimate modern age wedding gift... shoes for a 2 year old.

You might even get one of those plastic toys if you are lucky :)

You might even get one of those plastic toys if you are lucky :)

Proposal with an onion ring.. Nuf said.

Chivalry is dead. Feminism is the murderer.

Well... I don't mean to judge, but you two had a kid before getting married. I wouldn't have expected anything different.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Hiimhaileypotter 52

#8, I'm a tad bit confused because of your comment. Do a lot of people where you live go on their honeymoons at McDonald's or something? If that was a joke just disregard this xD

the_anti_hipster 7

Maybe if you're lucky, for a celebration he'll let you super-size your fries. What a lucky gal!

Romance is overrated, OP. Judge this man based on how well you know him, not on his shitty proposal.

And the wedding ring can be in the McNuggets! A story fit for Hollywood.

crazyladydaisy 4

#17, I assume they were talkin about the proposal, not McDonald's.

missamazinggg 12

My stepdad pretty much said "hey let's get married" while waiting in the drive-thru at Whataburger. They've been married for16 years.

Think long and hard before you answer.

Yeah OP, is this the guy you really want to marry? Sure he's the father of your child but there are lots of guys who also get married to mothers who had kids with someone else. There should have been some indications though that he wasn't romantic since you've been dating so long.

She should've thought long and hard before she stayed with him for years and had his baby. Did you really not know this about him before now? Either you take him for who he is or you don't take him at all. Sure you can try talking to him about it but don't resent him if he doesn't change his ways for you. Point is, love doesn't equal romance and romance damn sure doesn't equal love. Decide what matters to you and if you can't live without flowers and candlelight, find a new man.

Laurenlou 24

I totally agree with you 113! I feel as though OP has watched The Notebook too many times! It's a good movie, but not everyone's love will be like that. If OP has been with him for that long, and says "finally" before proposed, then she should know his lack of romance and love him anyway!

I read that thinking it was a penis joke.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Well, at least you're gettin' married! :p Seriously, though, maybe you should talk to him about it. Communication!

Who needs communication when you can bitch about it on FML instead?

They have a four year old child together. If they get married at this point, I'd hardly call it, "rushing." More like, "ABOUT ******* TIME!!!"

syley 5

56) the fact it's one-year-old child and not four ruins your comment but if it were a four-year-old child your comment would be appropriate.

I misread. I thought it said "four." Still, they've clearly been dating over a year and have a child together. She said they've been together "several years," which is at least two years. So yeah, it's still "ABOUT ******* TIME!"

moneybagz131 6

Flutter yay at the end of OPs fml!

It sounds like he was bringing up the subject in conversation to be discussed, rather than proposing outright.

Hiimhaileypotter 52
delilah09 6

Right? It's like she eats, lives and breathes him! Scary! More like stalkerish.

jellycorn 13

136 and 141, shes ******* 14. Don't you remember being that young and infatuated?

Maybe he's not a romantic. I do agree that this is sad but maybe he's not the one. If you've stayed with him this long he must be doing something right

Just because he might not be romantic does not mean he is not the one.

it could be that he's a shy person or such. even if i were in love with someone and was sure they'd say yes, I'd still be super awkward about it or just randomly slip the question. then hide under my bed. you get the picture.

XTheDesertSongX 17

You win the "Most Original Comment Ever" award.

I think it's quite cute to pop the question unconventionally, but a little romance would've been nice, maybe you could mention this, or prepare a romantic engagement dinner, just the two of you.. But I wish you all the happiness for your marriage :)

I think it can still be very romantic even if it isn't a traditional or even normal-ish proposal . My fiancé proposed over the phone, but he wasn't just like, "hey, wanna get married ?" he didn't necessarily have it planned out, I don't think, but it was still a very romantic and sweet/touching moment .

ThatsANiceAss 4

Wonder where the honeymoon will be? Chuck E Cheese maybe.

Chimpeez!!! Am I the only one that had those in my town? It was like a shitty knock off of chuck e cheese with monkeys and stuff.

RedPillSucks 31

South of the Border (on the NC-SC border). Talk about garish.

I heard sex in the ball pit is one of the eight wonders of the world.

There's not much I can say here without putting my foot in my mouth. So I'm just going to say; I wish you the best, OP.

Classy guy. I give him 2/10 for creativity. You never know OP, he could become more romantic. Make him watch cheesy, soapy and cringe worthy "romantic" films.

Then again if he did watch the movies, it would be a miracle if he adopted any romantic gestures.