By Anonymous - 02/09/2019 02:00

Today, I took my dog for a basic spay and dental cleaning procedure. When I picked her up from the vet, I was reading through the surgery papers before they sent me away. They'd pulled 29 abscessed teeth and didn’t feel the need to tell me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 818
You deserved it 291

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sorry, but how did you not notice your dog's teeth were that bad? Its face would have been swollen, it would have had little to no appetite, and when it did try to eat, it would have whimpered in pain. One of my old dogs had it, with only the one tooth, and that was more than enough to make him feel awful, and for me to realize he had to see the vet. I can't imagine how yours felt with 29 abscessed teeth in its mouth. F your dog's life.

ViviMage 38

Dogs have 42 teeth. They ripped out more than half of her teeth?! FHL!

Comments

I'm sorry, but how did you not notice your dog's teeth were that bad? Its face would have been swollen, it would have had little to no appetite, and when it did try to eat, it would have whimpered in pain. One of my old dogs had it, with only the one tooth, and that was more than enough to make him feel awful, and for me to realize he had to see the vet. I can't imagine how yours felt with 29 abscessed teeth in its mouth. F your dog's life.

DOn't be sorry, it's a damned good point!

You might be surprised. My dog was around 10 when she developed some sort of weird gum disease/infection. Her teeth were slowly abscessing and rotting away, and aside from visual inspection, there was no sign that anything was wrong. The dog ate, drank, and behaved completely normally. We had to check her at least once a week for signs of newly infected teeth. The vet even stopped charging us for treatment, and used her as a test case because they honestly couldn't figure out what was causing it, and why it would randomly return after months of no troubles. She'd lost most of her teeth by the time we had to put her down almost 6 years later.

Keep in mind- a vet who is so bad at their job that they wouldn't call the owner about this kind of situation is the kind of vet who is likely to LIE and do unnecessary procedures to make money

ViviMage 38

Dogs have 42 teeth. They ripped out more than half of her teeth?! FHL!

Mathalamus 24

I'm inclined to say yDI for being a neglectful owner. Poor dog....

How many of the teeth were the dog's and how many were yours?

blondie45 21

Forgive my ignorance (I live in Africa😜) but what is a “basic spay”? Where I come from, when we spay our animals it means we remove their ability to reproduce and it usually happens before they have their first season. It’s got nothing to do with their teeth and would happen loooooong before 29 abscesses could develop. Confused much 🤣

slkeithh 14

The dog went in for both procedures. Spay and dental.

zeffra13 31

A lot of people in the US don't get their pets spayed when it's young, either because it's a couple hundred dollars, "it'll never run away so what's it matter," etc. City shelters will have them fixed before they're sold but other places you can buy a pet and you have to arrange the spay/neuter yourself. OP could've adopted an already older dog that wasn't spayed, or just neglected to have her spayed earlier. Also, most small breed dogs like chihuahuas, maltese, mini poodle are very prone to early dental issues.

Were they her puppy teeth? I’ve heard of issues that have required most of those to be removed. I’d really question the reasoning for this. Like was she mixed up with another patient or did the paperwork get mixed up. And that bill would have been super high compared to estimate, so they should have called first. There is something seriously off.

Finally someone else who thinks "unathorized, radical procedure that was not discussed with the owner, who saw no reason for such a procedure inthe first place" = suspicions about vet. SO many of these comments would look at those folks who got the wrong limb amputated and ask "how did you not notice BOTH limbs were bad?"

julfunky 29

I’ve gone to two different vet clinics that did dental procedures and both asked if they should call before removing any teeth. That combined with the fact that this seemed to have blindsided you makes me wonder if this “surprise” is actually on you.

Wait...how did the fact that the vet failed to call the owner to authorize a major change in procedure, added to there being no prior sign of such a problem, make it MORE the owner's fault? Doens't that make it seem doubly suspicious that the vet screwed up?

Agreed. it's a Huge red flag that they didn't call or get ahold of the owner Before doing the operation. That seems suspicious or at the very least, bad practice.

This is when you say " i am not paying for anything other than the procedure i agreed to,same thing you do at the machanics if they try to say yeah we did 15 extra things on your car heres a bill for $2k extra.

then you don't need to pay seeings as you hadn't a clue about what they were gonna do