By dykerino - 12/10/2014 00:11 - Canada - Vancouver

Today, my boyfriend broke up with me because I cut my hair short and he didn't want people to think he was gay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 692
You deserved it 7 552

Same thing different taste

Top comments

giantsfan2010 23

Girls with short hair don't look like gay men...some look really good actually!

He sounds like an insecure and controlling jerk. It's only a haircut for Christ sake. Good riddance.

Comments

It's an excuse, OP. Either that or he just showed you how immature, shallow, and moronic he really is. What a jerk! Good riddance!

DianaFrances411 13

So he left you just because you cut your hair short? You should be glad you don't have to deal with him anymore. So your relationship wasn't based on love, but your hair? WTF? And last time I checked, it was always MY decision to get the haircut I wanted because they are my hair. And if your boyfriend didn't like your haircut, and broke up with you for that very reason, then he doesn't deserve someone like you. I'm sure you look beautiful, OP. Many girls with short hair do.

I don't understand the persistent white knighting that goes on in every comment. It isn't a requirement for a girl to be beautiful for her to be dumped, quite the opposite really.

All these people who are saying how shallow he his, ask yourself how many people you've dated that you thought weren't good looking? If you can't say that you have dated people who are not attractive, then you're just as shallow as this guy. As people, we all have our own personal preferences to what we think is good looking (thank goodness for that too). Best for OP to realise this now and move on with her life. My husband wouldn't date someone with short hair either. Many other people would. They just have different tastes and preferences. Sorry for your loss of boyfriend OP but you'll find someone else who will be much better suited for you. Everything happens for a reason.

DianaFrances411 13

#30, I agree with you to some extent. However, you must know that people do find some people attractive and want to date them but that's not what loves about. If OP's boyfriend didn't like her haircut, wasn't he aware of the fact that it's just hair and can grow back again? You don't just go on ending a relationship for such a reason. If my boyfriend shaved his head, I wouldn't like it either. But I sure as hell wouldn't break his heart and leave him. That's just wrong. And if you love people JUSt for their looks, then you're the one at fault here.

How do you know they loved each other either? Maybe it was an old relationship with love and the guy is just a dick, but equally probable is that this was a relatively young relationship and the guy was like nah, I'm not for this. He could have been nicer about it, though, which is the main point of the fml imo.

Well, your assumption is based around love. She said boyfriend, not fiancé or husband (and even then a lot of people don't marry for love or passion). I wish love was always the assumption in a relationship but unfortunately that's not realistic. Even OP could be more upset about the fact she was dumped instead of how much she cared about the guy. I wish relationships weren't so crude but to assume something so deep, as love, is naive in one of the best of ways.

I knew a guy that wasn't good looking at all, we became best friends and after awhile he became good looking to me (most likely because of his personality) and we ended up dating for a few years. When you date someone they often end up getting a haircut that you don't like as much as the other style, or they wear a shirt or pants that aren't really the style you prefer on them, but this doesn't affect the entire relationship. The point isn't whether they were in love or not, the point is that if he actually liked her, her hair being short should not be a deal breaker. And if he no longer liked her than he should break up with her and state the real reason for breaking up with her, something like 'I'm just not in love with you anymore' or 'this isn't working for me anymore,' don't give her hair as the reason when chances are it wasn't the real reason but merely the last straw or one reason on-top of several others.

That sucks that you had to go through that. He sounds shallow and homophobic to me. It sucks when someone you care about turns out to be a jerk.

Breaking off without talking it through might be a bit extreme, but cutting off long hair without giving notice to your partner IMO is, too: "You got that hair, all shiny black, hanging down to the middle of your back. Don't cut it off, whatever you do - I need it to run my fingers through!" Roy Orbison, "You're my baby"

kotake 7

"without giving notice to your partner" It's her hair... wtf does she need to tell her partner for? I never understood this. I'm a guy and dyed my hair a purple ombre for example (brown on top turns to purple as it gets longer). And every so often I get a couple comments like "It was so good looking before" "It looks good but if I had hair like yours I wouldn't have done that" or "What did your parents say" (I'm 22, if I was 15 I could understand that one but I'm twentyfreakingtwo :P). So many people say things as if our bodies and what we do with them aren't owned by us, it's ridiculous. So aside from maybe giving notice at work or something like that, if your employer has a financial investment in your appearance (even if you're a cashier, since you're the face of the transaction and the face that the customer will see), I don't see why people have to ask the permission of the world to do what they want. To the OP: I would consider this more of a blessing than a FML. If he is willing to break up with you over strangers possibly thinking he's homosexual, then he wasn't really all that committed. It's better this then say, a week later he borrows money then breaks it off so he doesn't pay you back or something like that. And now you can get over him sooner. But it wasn't going to last, if he's willing to break up with you over such a minor thing.

47, You're confusing asking permission to do something with asking their opinion on something you're thinking of doing. An individual can do as he or she pleases, but a courteous one would care about their partner's ideas and feelings about the action.

#47, if someone you were with decided to become hideous, you wouldn't want to be seen with them. It's that simple. IF you want to stay with someone, it has to be mutual happiness, otherwise someone hates their life. We don't all live in some fantasy feminist politically correct world.

"Decided to become hideous" A haircut doesn't change facial or body structure, bub. If you're entering a relationship based on mutual romantic feelings, it shouldn't be based on looks alone. A haircut shouldn't change romantic feelings.

39, personally I think that the boyfriend is completely in the wrong and that a haircut shouldn't end a relationship. With that said, I do somewhat understand what you're saying. Usually when 2 people are in a good relationship (especially if they've been together for awhile) they ask the other's opinion on things like different haircuts, different clothing styles etc. If it was me and I was in the relationship I would've told him what I was planning to do and ask his thoughts on it (like I've done in the past). If he really didn't like the idea of me cutting it that short I would probably get a cut a bit longer (a compromise for us both) or tell him that I won't get it cut that short but that he'd probably be seeing my hair in a bun a lot more as I'm sick of it being long; just because I personally care about his opinion and wouldn't want to do something semi-drastic that he probably wouldn't like. I would probably try and convince him over time that my hair short would be a good idea. But with that said, I've had boyfriends get haircuts that I didn't like as much as another style they wore, and when they asked my opinion later I'd just tell them I think I preferred the other style. Usually these sort of changes are talked over in a committed relationship, but if you actually like and care about the person a haircut wouldn't be the ending of the relationship. This is why I think Op's boyfriend just used the hair as an excuse.

Guys are kind of weird about their girlfriends cutting their hair. It takes them a while to get used to the change, especially if it's a big difference from what you had when y'all began dating. Smart boyfriends know to not insult the new haircut and wait until it grows on them (haha, pun). This being said, your boyfriend is an idiot...an insecure, stereotyping idiot who doesn't value YOUR freedom to do what you want to your body/appearance. If he comes crawling back have a serious conversation about his values and see if you want to end it or not.

It's so true. Guys are usually pretty particular about their girlfriends hairstyles, and the majority of guys I know prefer long hair and don't really like super short haircuts. For example my brother prefers long brunette hair on his wife, and she asks his opinion on the colour and cut, but even though he prefers that style, when she gets a bob cut with some blonde highlights he still thinks she's stunning. Yes he has more of a preference but because he is in love with her, her hair doesn't change his feelings. Even if she shaved her head (which he would hate) he would still be attracted to her and love her unconditionally. She also wouldn't do anything that he really didn't like because she cares about and values his opinion. It sounds like not only is Op's boyfriend a jerk, but the hair issue was an excuse and he was just looking for a reason to break up with her.

I guess he found a lame excuse to brake up with you :/ because a lot of women look really pretty with short hair ... So .. Good that you got free of that lame guy

FYL. It's never fun to get dumped. You're obviously better off without an idiot like him, though.