By wedding leper - 23/01/2016 05:25 - United States - Tucson

Today, I woke up after a two-day drive to go to my cousin's wedding. The view is beautiful, there's mountains everywhere, and my new backless dress is gorgeous. Too bad the hotel has bed bugs and my whole body is entirely covered in bright red bumps. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 520
You deserved it 1 574

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jentrynicole 20

Make sure you wash everything you own and throw away what you absolutely don't need. The only thing that could make your situation worse is if you brought them home or to the wedding with you.

Have you reported the hotel?? That'd be my first move right before getting the hell away and checking Hotwire.com Congrats to your cousin though.

Comments

jentrynicole 20

Make sure you wash everything you own and throw away what you absolutely don't need. The only thing that could make your situation worse is if you brought them home or to the wedding with you.

As someone who has battled the nefarious bedbugs I can tell you that you must wash everything twice, then dry them on the highest heat possible. (The water will loosen the eggs from the fabric and the heat is the only thing that will kill them.) If your garments are delicate or dry clean only seal them in thick garbage bags, take them to the dry cleaners and tell them that they need cleaned due to bed bugs. Be sure to tell them that. They will keep your garments in a vacuum sealed bag for a minimum of two weeks before cleaning them. They can do the same for your shoes. As for your luggage, burn it or otherwise destroy it as there is no way to properly clean it and you don't want to risk someone taking it out of your trash. Any non-fabric items can be washed off in hot soapy water (bed bugs and their eggs don't really stick well to non fabric items.) Inform the hotel management of the situation and demand that they pay for your damages and expenses. If they refuse, lawyer up. Also, contact the city health department and brief them off the situation. They will ensure that the hotel takes three necessary steps in ridding the building of the bugs. Next time you go to a hotel, leave your luggage on the bathroom floor, pull up the sheets, mattress cover, and blankets on the corners from the mattress. If you see any little black spots on the mattress or in the folds of the fabric, high tail out of there and notify the hotel management and the city health department. Do not let them try to put you up in another room. If everything looks clean, your probably OK.

This is a freakin' public service message. Thank you for this!

I went through this issue at my old apartment due to some new tenants . It ended with me spending a ton of money on laundry services, dry cleaning, and a law suit against my landlord as he refused to do anything about the situation or let me out of my lease. I lost most of my furniture, a ton of sleep, and most of my sanity. I lived under a friend's stairs on a cot in his laundry room for nearly a year while this was going on.

Matt_Hazard 16

Having just gone through bed-bugs recently in my own home, I've found this powdery product called "Diatomaceous Earth" works wonders. You use by putting it in the direct path of wherever the bedbugs crawl. I basically circled my bed with a thick layer of the stuff. Then I placed it around the bedposts, and on the wooden frame of my bed. Then I placed lines of it in front of places where bedbugs like to hide (such as heat registers and in front of electrical outlets). Within a week, I already saw little dead bedbugs everywhere. I'd say I probably killed off the whole infestation within two months (though I left the dust there for around 6 months). Important Note: It's important that you get FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth. This type is literally safe for human consumption, and is the least hazardous to a person's health. You can buy 10 pounds of the stuff from Amazon for just $20.

Have you reported the hotel?? That'd be my first move right before getting the hell away and checking Hotwire.com Congrats to your cousin though.

This is why you shouldn't stay at a cheap hotel.

theoldman 22

Honestly though it's not just the cheap hotels. That might be where they are most prevalent, but any can be affected. It only takes one person bringing them in.

They can be anywhere. There was recently a viral video of some fancy New York hotel with an infestation in at least one of the rooms.

ScottVining 21

Hopefully you can avoid bringing them back to your house because then you'll really be ******

Ginger_Love 19

Oh my god. Get rid of anything that you don't need. And wash/bleach the rest. Report that hotel and talk to the manager. That is gross. I hope you have fun at your cousin's wedding though. I'm sure you look great ❤️

Make sure you don't bring them home with you!!!

Hope you reported it to the health department or whatever

whatever you do, don't take them home.. I got them from a friends house and a year later I still don't sleep on my own bed. it's been hell getting rid of them there is nothing left in my bedroom except my mattress.

ironik69 31

Grab some aloe vera gel, the blue or green stuff that most people use on sunburns. Clean the spots with alcohol and then rub the aloe vera on the spots. They will go away in just a few minutes. My last apartment had those little buggers in the walls. We had to move because the owner would not fumigate. But, we had to learn how to deal with them real quick before we could actually move. Terrible little bugs.