By Anonymous - 24/10/2010 13:06 - United Kingdom

Today, I was selling personalised stockings at work. When handing a customer's order over to her, which had no name on, I joked, "Oooh this is a bit mysterious". She replied, "Actually, it's in memory of the baby I miscarried earlier this year." FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 050
You deserved it 9 998

Same thing different taste

Top comments

haha89 0

You didn't know. Although that would've hurt to talk about a lost baby.

That's a bit bizarre for a parent to do. Why leave the kid's name off if it's supposed to be in memory? What am I missing here?

Comments

To clarify: A personalised stocking stand is a little booth or cart where Christmas stockings are sold. Usually the customer requests a name to be embroidered or glitter-glued onto the top of the stocking. OP sold one without any name on it to a woman who'd lost her baby.

The thing that confused me is that they said they were selling "personalized stocking stands", not personalized stockings from a stand. Is this a typo?

killabee 0

I believe they meant stocking holders, like metal hooks to hang them from. People get these so they don't have to drive a nail through the wall or something. Perhaps they are engraved or painted.

killabee 0

Great, right after I post they re-word it.

That's what I thought too, killabee. I actually looked it up, and you can buy a stand-alone frames, almost like a quilt rack, with hooks at the top to use in place of a mantle. It's a somewhat unknown product, though, so I think the mods are better off calling it a Christmas stocking. It makes the FML easier to understand, even if it may not be technically correct.

That lady was creepy to buy a stocking stand for a baby that never was.

I agree that's it's a slightly strange memorial, but I think the point is to acknowledge that the baby did exist, and is/was a part of her family. To this mother, at least, she lost a child, even if she never got to meet the baby.

First rule of retail: Mind your own business. It makes things less awkward.

ghettojewels 0

That sucks big time but you didn't know so don't beat yourself up about it

It seems to me that the customer is an attention seeker AND was deliberately trying to make you feel badly. There was no need for her to reveal her personal circumstances to you as part of such a casual interaction. All she needed to do was smile and keep her mouth shut. Instead, she fished for sympathy while trying to send you on a guilt trip. Uncool.

I really, really doubt that. There's a culture of silence and shame around miscarriage and stillbirth. Women find it very hard to grieve, because people think they should "get over it", tell them it wasn't a "real" baby, and say things like "At least you know you can get pregnant" and "The baby was probably deformed, it's just as well". Seriously - go to any pregnancy and birth loss forum online, and you'll hear stories of people being absolutely callous and hurtful to women who've miscarried. This women may have been trying to break the code of silence and get another human being to acknowledge that her loss happened. Or she may have been having a rough moment and just responded in honesty. I HIGHLY doubt that she was trying to get some kind of social mileage out of losing a child. Have some compassion. There's no reason she should have prevaricated when the OP basically asked her what the stocking was for. A miscarriage is not something to be ashamed of.

I never said a miscarriage was something to be ashamed of. Those are your words, not mine. And, my conclusion has nothing whatsoever to do with compassion or lack thereof. Whatever happened to recognizing there is a time and place for revealing personal information? Sharing news of this nature to close friends and family -- absolutely. Revealing such news to a relative stranger (the clerk in this transaction) is inappropriate. For that reason, the woman was either socially clueless, on a fishing expedition, or was deliberately trying to make the OP feel bad. None of which is acceptable behavior. If the woman is so distraught as to reveal this personal information without recognition of social boundaries, she ought to seek a session or two with her pastor or therapist.

Listen to yourself. How are you *not* saying she should be ashamed of it? It is appropriate to respond to a question when asked: the OP asked her the meaning of the stocking, and the woman told her. Unless you feel that miscarriages are something to be ashamed of, why would you object to that? Our culture prefers not to talk about death, but guess what... it happens, and people shouldn't have to hide that truth from the poor innocent public. Every time you ask a woman how many kids she has, there's a possibility that she'll say "Three living" or "I had one son, but he died last year", or something else that makes you uncomfortable. Well, deal with it. Nobody should have to pretend they haven't suffered loss just so you don't have to deal with the answer. Just be grateful you haven't lived it. This woman didn't just march up to the OP and say "Hey, guess what, I had a miscarriage, do I get a discount?" - she simply mentioned her lost child in response to a question. Was it personal? Of course, just like telling someone how many LIVING children you have is personal. Do you find that inappropriate too? Judging by the commemorative stocking, this woman clearly didn't want to sweep her lost child's existence under the rug, and good for her. If more people shared their stories of miscarriage, maybe fewer miscarrying women would feel like social lepers.

eleniel421 28

Wow....at first I thought the FML meant they were buying personalized stockings (= socks with a name stitched on) to commemorate the miscarriage. A random pair of socks would have been a little bit weirder than a Christmas stocking, hahaha. Thankfully the comments are here to clarify things! :)