By Noname - 16/03/2009 04:05 - United States

Today, I was rejected from the University of Washington. My dad has been a professor there for 30 years, and is on the board of admissions. FML
I agree, your life sucks 439 364
You deserved it 103 628

Same thing different taste

Top comments

vonstrangle 0

That must be equally embarrassing for him.

Obviously you assumed you could just get in because your daddy works there and probably didn't try to do well in high school. Your loss.

Comments

eschreib 0
wallythedolly 0

Nepotism is wrong and only leads to bad things, anyway. Just look at the Bush family...

ElleEnvy 0

Wow just because he works there makes you think you can get in? You deserve this for expecting to get something because your dad is working there and not because you earned it yourself

It is true though, many universities will look more at your application if you've shown a loyalty to the school (via your family)

Yea I agree with pretty much everyone. Just cause your daddy works there don't mean you're gonna get in. Don't rely on him. If you're going to a university then you are obviously old enough to rely on yourself. -Your DarkestSinn

Assmilk 0

See, just cause your dad's smart doesn't mean you are too...

I graduated from the UW not very long ago...it's true, the Profs typically care more about their research than teaching. That school is so big, it's rare that you will even have direct contact with your Profs until you reach your junior and senior years (as an undergrad). It's more likely you'll be taught by TAs during your first two years. I wouldn't be too worried about the rejection, TC. If you have the financial means to do so, I'd look into Seattle University. I guess it depends on what you want to study.

jez_monkey 0

Ummm...I'm really GLAD that you didn't get into WashU because that means it is true that family connections and legacy don't matter. I hope that you can see this is a good thing.

cornface69 0

I don't think anyone should criticize this guy/girl. These posts are very vague and there can be multiple interpretations. This student can be either be very lazy and just depended everything on his/her father on all these things OR this student has pretty decent grades/SAT and a strong resume but is stunned by the rejection. When it comes to applying to colleges, the admission office considers everything; your overall GPA, family's income status, ethnicity, extracurricular activities, community service, teacher's recommendations, and so forth. An avg student can get into these prestigious colleges based on athletic scholarship as well, it looks good if you are the star of your basketball and won the nationals or whatever. But eh..doesn't matter what college you get in to. Go to the one that offers THE most benefits of fin. aid and lowest tutition. I always admire this girl, she worked very hard for two years at a CUNY college and transfered to Yale in her second year. If you do exceptionally well in your first/second year, you can just transfer. Make sure your credits can be transfered by discussing it with your advisor. This is a little messed up. 30years and on the board of admissions should have ALOT of influence and other connections to get someone in..then again there are probably other factors that we may not know.