By richgirl - 25/02/2010 00:15 - United States

Today, I was doing takeout orders at the restaurant I work at. I spent a long while putting together this guy's $135.00 order. When he finally got there to pick it up, I told him to fill out the credit card slip. I looked at it after he left. He gave me a 40 cent tip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 148
You deserved it 4 561

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bubuchi3 0

most people i know don't leave tips when they order food to go, i guess coz most of the work put into it was done by the cooks, not the waiter/waitress. or something like that.

Comments

So? Since when did leaving a tip become a right to be expected?

QueenPersephone 9

Apparently uncle sam considers tips something to be expected for servers, because he taxes servers on them regardless of if they make them or not.

try working at any catering job n get no tip in a usual 7-8 hr shift. then u can bitch OP.

Wait...what? You have to leave tips for takeout orders now? Since when?

wtf did you do to deserve a tip? tell ya what heres a tip...dont expect a tip for take out

#18- First off, you obviously have never worked in a restaurant. Servers make less than minimum wage. Way less. Here in Idaho, The servers get paid a little over $3 an hour, and they count on their tips to make their rent, pay their bills, and buy their groceries. Second of all, restaurant workers are not at the bottom of the food chain. They provide you with food that you picked so you don't have to make it yourself. Not tipping your server is probably one of the most heartless things to do.

im2good25 0

3 an hour????? is that even allowed???

yep, #22 pretty much speaks the truth

If you're being paid less than minimum wage ANYWHERE, you're supposed to report it!

They only make $3 an hour because they know that suckers will tip and pay for the rest of their wages. It's kind of a scam.

Okay, your "paid" $3 an hour and you then turn in your tips. If the tips don't add up to make your pay equivalent to minimum wage, then the restaurant pays the difference. If there's extra, well then that's just quite dandy. Moral of the story: if you don't tip, you're not letting some waitress' baby starve.

not exactly. then their hours get cut cause employers either think they are not doing a good job when there is just a preponderance of assholes, or cause they don't like to pay the difference. if everyone thought like you, it would be the first thing.

hmna 0

Contrary to what many people think on this thread, there are two federal minimum wages in the United States: one for tipped employees, and one for everyone else. The minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hr, with the understanding that if tips do not make up the difference between $2.13/hr and $7.25/hr that the employer has to make up the difference. Your mileage may vary depending on which state you live in: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

rarely do restaraunts uphold that one. if my sales are under $200, then they say they compensate. they don't.

They get paid a higher hourly when working to go.

neonskittzy 0

aw that sucks. don't feel bad I once got 5 cents as a tip and I think it was a accident.

Giorgio272 2

40c is better than nothing I guess. sure you didn't smell or something?

According to a quick check of Wikipedia (which I know is not definitive, but is quick and easy lol) "As of July 24, 2009 (2009 -07-24)[update], the federal minimum wage in the United States is $7.25 per hour. Some states and municipalities have minimum wages higher than this (see List of U.S. minimum wages), but some U.S. territories (such as American Samoa) are exempt. Some types of labor are also exempt, and tipped labor must be paid a minimum of $2.13 per hour, as long as the hourly wage plus tipped income result in a minimum of $7.25 per hour." All I can say is FYLL (f your labour laws) you guys are getting screwed. $2.13 an hour? I wouldn't let a 10 year old work for that sort of exploitive pay rate. And why the hell should a customer feel guilt tripped into tipping on top of the price of the meal? As far as I understood it, tipping is supposed to show appreciation for exceptional service, not to be the result of some sort of social guilt trip.