By roadbikemama - 25/10/2009 18:42 - United States

Today, I was cooking. I leaned over the stove to preheat the oven, and burned my nipple on a pot of boiling water. I also have a teething son who is breastfeeding. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 262
You deserved it 11 130

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

look on the bright side! you have TWO nipples! and for good reason.

If she doesn't get the milk out of both, it'll cause an infection

Wow, there are a lot of haters out today for a mom who is breastfeeding her baby.

angryseatroll 5

If your son is old enough to be teething, why are breastfeeding them? They are getting kind of old for that. Just stet using formula.

Teething doesn't have a specific timeline; my cousin was actually born with two teeth, my niece got teeth when she was 6 months old, my friend's daughter got her first tooth at 9 months. Also, breastfeeding for 12 months is strongly encouraged, most people don't do it, but it's encouraged. Basically, shut up.

angryseatroll 5

I don't recall ever saying I was against breast feeding. I also don't recall ever being rude to you or the OP, but you had to go and tell me off anyways. Most children I have met have been formula fed and turned out 100% ok. It hasn't been proven that breast feeding it better for a child. It's more painful for the parent. And most mothers tend to breastfeed their children for too long. Don't test me.

Just because no one you know has been breastfed means that you have the right to tell them how long they're allowed to do it? Grow up. Sorry if I came off like a bitch.....I am one.

Um, actually, it HAS been proven that breastmilk is better for babies than formula, in many studies. Breastfeeding is actually not painful, if it hurts you're doing it wrong. And the average age of weaning from the breast worldwide is 4 years... It's mostly in the English-speaking parts of the world that babies are weaned so young. Breasts are there for feeding babies, you know - the sexualization of breasts is a recent thing in history, and it's primarily in Western culture that they're so sexualized. In countries where breastfeeding is the norm, breasts aren't seen as sexual at all. Even in Afghanistan, women will breastfeed in public with their breasts exposed, but their hair is covered for modesty. Please get over your hangups. (Also, for the record, I was formula-fed and I have bowel and stomach issues as a result. Not everyone who is formula-fed is "100% okay".)

lmaoatyourlife 0

Its 100% true that breast milk is better than formula, and i honestly don't know why you thought that this hadn't been proven because it is a very well known fact. And yes children who were always given formula often do turn out just fine, however, you cannot possibly beat or even match the benefits that come from breastmilk. Its completely up to the parent how long they want to breastfeed for, although at least 1 year is recommended by professionals.

actually the breast-v-formula thing is still fairly undecided. while its generally believed that breastmilk is better theres also concern that things like asthma can be passed down from the mother in breastmilk...it doesnt seem that logical to me since asthma isnt contagious i know both my brothers who were breastfed have bad asthma(the one who was weaned later has it worse) and get sick often while both my sisters who were bottle fed are absolutely fine (one of them had reflux but it went away after she stopped breastfeeding). theres no proof that either is really better at the moment.

also 159, the sexualusation of breasts dates back to the cavemen, when a man was attracted to a woman with breasts and hips and a healthy amount of fat as these all indicate she'll give him healthy children, its a survival thing. i dont know where youre getting your information from since the idea of sexualisation of breasts being a recent thing has never been widely accepted.

My friend was breastfed till she was 2

Um even formula companies state breast is best. You are very ignorant.

actually babies start teething as early as 4 months. and the World Health organization says you should breastfeed until 2 years. stop being a sanctimommy

So your nipples were hanging out? What would you call that? Freeballing? No I think that's something else...

dspadres 0

Maybe if you rub it you'll make it feel better....just like that....that's it....slower...slower...now go counter clockwise....yes. And to those who say, "you have more than one", it's not like using one will drain the other. They don't magically level each other off if one is being drained more than the other.

janise 2

Yes but she can feed her baby with one and drain the other manually without the added pain or having a baby's teeth digging into her nipple. There's other ways to get rid of breast milk without having a baby suck on it.

dspadres 0

Don't you think that handling the burnt nipple in any way would cause pain? What I was saying was that people seem to think that the OP doesn't have to worry about it because she has a spare but the burnt nipple has to be drained one way or another and draining it would cause pain whether by a baby's mouth or her own fingers or a draining tool.

greenltrn2003 0

it was supposed to be a sexual thing

bugmenotmofo 34

Well, apparently that's why mother nature gave mankind TWO nipples. Now we all know.

bosshaug 0

Maybe you should send me a picture im a nippleologist

jesssaaa 0

You must have really big boobs.

this FML has such interesting comments regarding nipples..... i am fascinated you should use a pump on that breast, and alternate your baby between the other breast and a bottle oh and ouch!!! I can imagine that pain

hell, just keep your **** out of boiling water.

to everyone saying stop breastfeeding. stfu. she's doing the best thing for her baby. and some babies start teething at a couple of months old!! OP Hun you may wanna go back to the nipple cream that we use when we first start breastfeeding. that might help

janise 2

Nobody told her to stop breast feeding. Some have said to use the other nipple instead.

Some people have told her to stop breastfeeding, actually.

You still have to get the milk out of the other breast 59