By Anonymous - 02/07/2013 16:25 - United States - Burlington

Today, I was at another long swim-meet, when my daughter shaved 15 seconds off her record swim time. When I asked her how she did it, she replied, "Well someone told me to swim as fast as I can." She's just been taking her time all these years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 482
You deserved it 5 612

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wait when you compete in sports you need to try??! I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Your daughter is gonna end up being one of those drivers who take their time at a stoplight when it turns green.

Comments

Wow, that really sucks. I'm so sorry, OP.

Wait when you compete in sports you need to try??! I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Well my coach has always told me to swim as fast as I can. So why wasn't it told to her at every meet? I can't imagine not being told that.

I always told everyone I knew and coached to swim as fast as they can. Competition and all. Swimming isn't a sport you can't go easy in. The fact she never pushed herself just points to ignorance.

20, It is actually possible if she had a bad coach/trainer. During my school years, not even ONE physical education teacher told me how run properly (breath control, pace control, etc), how to improve running distance, etc. So, blame the trainer.

tjv3 10
jw90 18

Obviously so have I..damn..

Your daughter is gonna end up being one of those drivers who take their time at a stoplight when it turns green.

Damian95 16

In the future she's gonna call for her children to get the remote when it is JUST out of arms reach.

Yeah, I used to 'take my time' in those events when I was little ... Safe to say I never won.

Had she previously been conserving energy to avoid getting injured? Or to maintain energy for a whole session?

rg350dx 29

She was just sandbagging in order to lull the competition into a false sense of superiority...or it literally just dawned on her that she had to try.

Maybe she's a toddler and doesn't fully grasp the concept. OP could be crazy competitive parent-type.

CallMeMcFeelii 13

I highly doubt OP's daughter is a toddler. I've never heard of a swim team that consists of only toddlers.

yryilmaz 13

That would be rather adorable though.

r83839 22

A toddler doing a swim meet? Really? 1) my toddler just learned how to swim, and all the moms are super impressed because most toddlers are scared of water, 2) even my toddler knows how competition works.

Lure the competition and BAAM, when they least expect it, she become number 1!

You should have told her to swim faster years ago.

Did she not understand the concept of sports? I wonder if she thought the other swimmers weren't trying either.

TheDrifter 23

The coach likely uses the "don't worry about them, you're only competing against yourself" political correct line so that kids feelings don't get hurt when they lose.

Yeah, because the sole aim of sports is winning.

Last time I checked it was....of course there are rec leagues, but when someone says "sports" I automatically think "competing".

haha what a trooper! at least she's trying now.