By Anonymous - 10/05/2012 20:33 - United States - Walpole

Today, I was at a restaurant with my kids. I told my 13 year old about how the very first time she said she loved me. She was 2 and it was at this very restaurant. I told her the details and even started tearing up a little. She didn't even look up from her cell phone and said, "That's fab, ma." FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 238
You deserved it 8 783

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kids these days...at least she didn't say it by text :)

CaramelMacchiato 13

I'm only a year older than OP's daughter, and I would have probably gushed all about it! :') Am I the only one who loves hearing stories about their childhood?

Comments

Take the damn phone away and drop it in her drink. Your her mother for God's sake. You deserve respect not being ignored!

Jordan740 6

But then she would just be buying her another one later on down the road.

pinkcrayola 0

Why does everyone think parents deserve to be worshiped? Her mom was telling a rather pointless fact to a teenager. I agree that phones shouldn't be used at the table when eating but if they were waiting for their food who cares? Plus, dropping the phone in a drink is such an over reaction and do not worth it.

Pinkcrayola, uh, her mom gave her life... So she should worship her mom! Her mom wasn't telling a pointless story, she was sharing a story that showed her love and appreciation for her daughter. The least she could have done is put down her phone to listen.

A mother doesn't automatically deserve respect for giving birth. My mother walked out on our family when I was 6 and was never there for us, does she still deserve respect from my brother and I? I agree that kids should respect their parents but not JUST because they brought you into the world.

pinkcrayola 0

Yeah 52 no one deserves to be worshiped just because they had sex. I think her reaction is just part of being a teenager and growing up. I was like that too at 13. When she gets older shell get more appreciative but for now I just don't see why it's a big deal. I think she could be a lot worse.

#73 & #90 what both of you are reading in this fml lol... It says she teared out while telling that how she felt when her 2 yr old kid said i love you and her mom is still with her and taking care of her (i assume from her feelings).. However i dont say that put phone in drink or else, but that 13yr old can atleast raise her eyes into hers and smile for that. I bet this is all her mom wanted rather than worshipping or stuff lol :p

I think in this situation I would be taking the approach that's in the middle between 12 and 90. Respect should be earned, not demanded, if you really want someone to truly respect you. On the other hand, OP seems like the kind of mother that will be your best friend when you grow up. It's natural for the girl to be stuck in this phase at this age (although I don't deny that some, myself included, are out of it by now). There's no need to worry but FYL, it's a long road ahead... And props for actually caring about your child.

Not if she was my kid. Google dad that shot daughters laptop. That's how I am. She will save up for her own when she can afford another.

33 - Why? Cell phones are neither a necessity nor a right. If she doesn't deserve one, she should not have one.

113 - My comment was more in reply to 12 & 52 rather than the actual FML. I get what you're saying though :)

#142 totally agree with u about #33... Means y do she even need a cell phone for lol !! However #117 : i certainly dont know anything about u or ur culture or country... But in my culture they dont demand us to respect or praise but they tell us that everyone deserves respect & doesnt matter elder or younger. Moreover if u have to earn someone's respect, trust me that respect aint worth of nothing, coz if u cant respect others... Without getting done something by them that is useful or beneficial for you, you dont have any grounds or ethics then. :) Nothing personal tho i just love the way my culture thought me to respect every woman/girl or human being :D

212, raised by someone of Soviet mentality who swallowed, and still believed, all the propaganda. And a Soviet teacher, no less. You can be certain she demanded respect without earning it. So did her son. And I hate to say it, but they weren't very nice people; although I am grateful to them for supporting me financially. Make no mistake about it, I don't expect anyone to do something useful or beneficial for me. In fact, that's the opposite way to go. It's not difficult: All you need to do is be a good ******* person. My grandmother definitely wasn't. My father has goodness in him, but is essentially her victim. And I tried to help him as much as I could, but after finally getting over the "egg doesn't teach the chicken" mentality, he started maintaining that, at 45, he was too old. Believe me, I tried; and I tried respecting them too. Now I'm just trying to forgive them.

What you say is right, but this mom obviously has been a pretty good mom and this punk kid of hers should be listening to her mom.

AliceLockehart 18

My Dad taught me to earn the things I wanted, rather than just giving them to me. I've paid for all the phones I've had. I'd prefer that, rather than having him buy/do everything for me.

Jordan740 6

142 - Well since her daughter has a seemingly disregard for the rules, what if she decided to sneak out one night. Then something happened to her without a cell phone something bad could happen to her. Then her mother would feel horrible.

Jordan740 6

212 - Learn how to talk right before you question my theory and/or intelligence...Dumb ****.

You're one ignorant ass hole. If you want respect thats not the way to get it. That will make you're child hate you. Parents don't always deserve respect just because they're the parent they should earn it just like any other person.

My dad walked out right before I was born. I know exactly what you mean. Not all parents should get respect just for being the parent.

She probably was so distracted by her cell phone she didn't even hear what you said.

gurly98 13

It's a phase which most teenagers go through as they come to terms with the changes they are experiencing. Teenagers today kind of behave the same as the teenagers of yesterday.

13 year old with a cell phone? Why am I not surprised.

Considering the fact that there are nine year olds with phones, thirteen is not really out of the question.

pinkWabbits 0

I'm going to get so many dislikes, but I had a cell phone at the age of 8, for necessary reasons. My dad had no way to contact my mom considering he had no house phone or cell phone, so going to his apartment every other weekend made things difficult. The only people I had permission to call were my mom and grandma. I felt like a badass walking around with my nokia and all two of my contacts. I actually think getting a phone at such a young age was good for me. I hate texting now, no patience for it. ... Just thought I'd throw in my two cents on kids having cell phones. Although I don't think this is often the case today.

I had a cell phone in middle school. It was mostly for safety. I wasn't allowed to call anyone unless I really had to. I think this is why most kids get phones.

Lexiloulynn 2

A dick on FML? Why am I not surprised.

hollywood50 2

Maybe you shouldn't by your 13 year old daughter a cell phone. If you must at least teach her to have proper manners and put her phone away at the table. Parents these days!

I had a mobile at that age, though to be fair I went to boarding school so it was helpful for keeping in touch with parents.

I had a cell phone when I was in the sixth grade, but that was for keeping in touch with my then-recently divorced dad. In some circumstances, a cell phone is alright, if they're responsible. I don't know why you're making a big deal out if it.

glee_club 0

Why parents these days... It's typical manners I know not to have those type of the things at the table. It's polite and you shouldn't have to be told to do so.

Lexiloulynn 2

Wow. Teens that are thirteen are about to go to high school, which usually means lots of extra-curricular activities and hanging out with friends. Cell phones are used to keep in touch, and sometimes for safety reasons. But as for "Parents these days", you can't say anything about parents! I bet you aren't even a parent yourself! Maybe you should take your stupid comment, shove it, and shut up!

I agree for the most part. If you're going to give your kid a phone they need to know proper manners. My kid wouldn't want to be my kid anymore if they disrespected me like that. At that age I had a prepaid phone no texting and just enough minutes to call my parents. Things have changed. :(

Maybe you should learn how to spell the word, "buy" first. Also,I got a phone when I was 13, my school was 3 miles away from where I lived... This isn't the 1950s, there's stranger danger. I feel much safer with a phone on me. Besides, not all 13/14 year olds are like that... Just like how not all Muslims are terrorists. you can't just make a generalized statement like that.

egc573 40

If you want to generate an emotion, toss her cell phone (which is actually YOUR cell phone) into the nearest full glass. Also, I consider myself still close enough in age to teens to ask, who the hell says fab anymore?

i think 13 is way too young to even have a cell phone. i was very grateful to get one at 18

Wicked361 8

No... 9 is way too young for a cell. I'm thirteen with a phone and I have mine for safety reasons like most people my age do. Let me guess you're one of those people who think were ungrateful for having one? Or are you the one that had to work hard to get one? Sorry to break it to you but this is a NEW GENERATION! :-/ sorry bout the rant...

i'm not saying YOU specifically, safety is a good reason. i just hate the ungrateful ones that got a phone at 13 or earlier. i know it's a new generation and i was still happy to have one at 18...cause our parents never had them at our age

83 - safety reasons? Lol. You do realise society functioned fine for generations without 13yo having phones. If your parents actually purchased it for safety reason they are paranoid.

GirlOnFire143 6

I understand where you're coming from, but a lot of 13-yr-olds do have cell phones. I've had a phone since I was 11, because I was becoming more independent (walking to and from school, going shopping with friends). I'm really paranoid without my cell, because it is basically a lifeline if something happens to me. Like 83: Sorry about the rant!

GirlOnFire143 6

OP- what do you mean by ungrateful?

Lexiloulynn 2

87- You do realize that it doesn't matter what happened in past generations, this generation is full of wicked people, (rapists, child molesters, kid nappers, etc.) right? I mean, back in the eighties it was fine to walk around the mall with your friends, but now, if you want to even go to the park, you're unsafe. There are crazies everywhere, which there were in past generations, but there are more and crazier people out there now. Plus, parents have the right to be scared without being accused of being "paranoid". Like I said, there are crazy people out there that do wicked things.

I've like to elaborate on 97's point here... Don't kid yourself with the illusion of some sort of "golden age" in the past. There wasn't one. The pubs closed at 10 o'clock, and that's when the gates were locked, because there were all sorts of criminals around. (I'm not talking about 1980s but a few centuries ago). People just didn't let their children out after dark. You must have seen the remnants of that generation. And said children rarely went further than a couple of streets away. And abduction, the sex and slave trades etc were much more common until very recently. So... I'd say a mobile phone would be a good investment. I could go on but this is too long already!

I had a phone when I was 10 and I lived in a very safe neighborhood. Parents have a right to make sure their kids have a quick and safe way of contacting them.

mhopper 13

Pay phones are rare nowadays so cellphones come in handy (for safety reasons, rides, etc). It's not really a big deal for kids to have them. I just find it annoying when people are glued to their phones during dinner or a movie!

Wow, sorta sounds like a bitch if your her mom and were sharing your feelings with her. Some kids just don't understand how special family relationships are

blackvyper 8

Take that phone away and see how her memory comes back. You'll be overwhelmed with love then.