By owned - 28/04/2009 14:12 - Singapore

Today, I turned 18. My parents gave me a card that read "now that you're 18, it's time for some boozy fun... you can do all the things you did before but legally!" Taped to the inside was my fake id that I "lost" three months ago. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 271
You deserved it 66 958

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I never understood why people couldn't just wait until 18 to drink/smoke/etc. It's not exactly like waiting until you're 65 to retire. =/

your parents seems to be funny. thumps up!

Comments

beccablez 0

#55 yes that's what we'd all like to know here in the US...mostly it's because of the crazy prohibitionists back in the early 1900s. and there are people out there (college presidents even!) who are trying to lower it. won't matter for me though, seeing as how I'll be 21 in August... the fact of the matter is the US is full of conservatives who think that on your 21st birthday you magically are able to handle alcohol responsibly.

skierguy 0

Haha, your parents are mean. I moved to a province where the drinking age is 19 for university and my parents actually encouraged me to get a fake ID.

for those saying in the U.S you have to wait until you're 21. you are miss-informed. you can drink at your house with your parents when you are 18, but you can not BUY alcohol until you are 21. there is a difference. and it seems like his parents would be cool parents to drink with. op, that is FUNNY

tick_tock 0

Your parents are hilarious hahaha.

#55, I think #33's suggestion to "start living in the real world" was not in response to #16's presumed decision to remain sober until the legal age (and not necessarily a suggestion that one can't have fun without alcohol), but rather in response to that person being critical of those who aren't so... compliant with the law. if you want to wait till the legal age to drink, fine. more power to you. but it's kind of lame to criticize those who choose to drink beforehand--especially when the logic behind a specific legal drinking age is often criticized and challenged.

jadeddream 0

#33 - umm, I didn't try alcohol til I was 20 and I have a friend who didn't drink until he was 22. Not everyone is all about the booze. I don't see how it's that hard to wait 18 years. OP - not much of an FML if you ask me, just a funny story

#69: Not true? Just because your parents let you do it doesn't mean it's legal. Last I read you were allowed to have a couple sips of wine with them (due to that thing where there are LOTS of Christians here and they sip wine (blood of Christ) in church). At 18 you can serve alcohol in restaurants and you can transport bottles/cans of UNOPENED (like never opened, not just opened and closed again) alcohol. This doesn't mean you can legally drink with your parents (more than those few sips). I just don't see how you'd get caught (unless you're REALLY stupid and go driving and get pulled over or something). #52: 18 for hard alcohol, 16 for wine and beer and little girly drinks. #21: Newb. You said it backwards while calling someone stupid. at all the dumb Americans who think the drinking age is 21 everywhere: stop making me look bad. For those who don't get it: the author lives in one of many places where you can legally drink at 18. For whoever said it's a federal offense: Is it a federal offense in whatever country the author is from? They never stated it. Now, if you happen to know the federal laws in every country in the world whos drinking age is 18, I am VERY impressed. Author: While it sucks that you didn't have it for 3 months, at least they didn't just punish you when they found it. ETA: and to the one who said people should be shot for wanting to drink: grow up. Stay in TX though; I don't want you near anyone I care about.