By Anonymous - 30/12/2013 17:20 - United States

Today, I tried to prove to my girlfriend how much I've matured and that our relationship comes before anything else in my life. So I went to delete my character in World of Warcraft. I tried to confirm it, but I couldn't, breaking down in tears instead. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 350
You deserved it 31 426

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's always a hard life for us video gamers. I empathize OP.

**** that! You shouldn't have to delete anything you don't want to man! If she can't accept that you play WOW or any other video game, she doesn't love you for who you are. Live your life how you want to! Not how she thinks it should be lived

Comments

XxXCrissyXxX 12

Why do you have to delete it? Putting her first doesn't mean you have to stop doing what you love. Both my bf and i play the games we love, but always set aside time for eachother. In no way is my love of games an "addiction" but you put a lot of work in to creating, and building up those characters. I'd be a little upset too, so i understand.

arandomusernameaa 20

I used to play an awful lot of games... the only way I could focus on real life was to delete the game to remove the temptation.. it is a lot more effective than just trying to avoid it, unless you are really, really focused on quitting...

#51 Deleting a game is different from deleting the characters (in some cases). I play wow, and have deleted the game various times, but never the characters, so I could go back months or even a year later. (And the huge amount of time it takes to download it reduced the temptation to start playing again.)

I agree that deleting a character just to prove your love is very silly and shouldn't be "proof" you aren't addicted. However OP says he had finally "matured" and hoped to prove to his gf that their relationship came1st. Why would a gamer go through the trouble of deleting a character to prove to his gf that she came first, unless it was causing serious arguments? Either the gf is being over demanding, or OP really does have a problem. Since OP has made no complaints about his gf and only about himself, I believe (in this case) he probably has some sort of gaming addiction. Even if he does have a problem, though deleting a character is still silly since it really solves nothing.

You're thinking too sanely though. There are some people out there that think gaming itself is immature and in order to grow up one needs to stop playing games altogether. If OPs in that kind of environment, his girlfriend's being a bitch because she doesn't want to date a gamer and he's not strong enough to see that it's okay to not be in a relationship I could see it getting to this situation. :(

Don't change just for a girl. People who mind your problems dont matter, and those who Matter dont Mind.

raytyler26 16

How does one be addicted to world of Warcraft and have a girlfriend..?

While I don't believe that one should spend their whole life gaming, it's also unhealthy for a girlfriend to expect you to put your relationship with her above everything else in your life. You have a right to your own interests and hobbies, and shouldn't have to give any of them up if you can agree to participate in them a normal or moderate amount.

Actually, I'd say that it's possible for a couple to each enjoy their own interests and hobbies in normal amounts but still put their relationship first. In my experience that's generally how it works, at least in serious relationships. Granted, we don't know how old the OP is or how serious the relationship is. But in general I agree with you.

Highly suggest a girlfriend that also indulges in similar hobbies.

Don't delete it; I just let my account sit, can pick right back up if my partner passes me off too much.

chocolatefrog28 29

You're not ready, there's no shame in that. You showed you were willing to make steps to improving your relationship though and that has to mean something.

A significant other should allow you to keep your hobbies as long as it doesn't totally consume you. I even know couples who play games together. You shouldn't have to delete a game account to save your relationship.

the easier thing to do is to cancel the account. you can always go back to it that way if for an unfortunate reason things go south

THANK you! I don't know why people haven't mentioned that before. Would it just be too difficult to cancel an account and refrain from opening it back up? In the end, it saved me $150 last year, and I've found other ways to enjoy games with my boyfriend without spending precious money and time away from him. If you want this relationship to work, you need to put forth effort to make it work; deleting your personal achievements is succumbing to what she (and only she) wants from you. If anything, it sounds like she's not considering your interests and is only looking out for hers, which simply does not make a sound partnership. For example, by her logic, she should have to delete every "friend" on her Facebook account since she spends too much talking to them online. There needs to be an understanding of hobbies, and if she isn't willing to consider and accept them as a part of you, then maybe she (as well as you) should re-evaluate your relationship together.