By jgboy - 14/09/2014 15:32 - United States - Franklin Park

Today, I took my girlfriend of a year out on a date, a nice fancy dinner and a movie. After dinner, I said that I was feeling sick and just wanted to go home. I didn't have the heart to tell her that dinner was so expensive that I didn't have money for the movie. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 180
You deserved it 9 505

Same thing different taste

Top comments

#ThugLife We've all been in a similar situation, making up something so you don't have to say that you don't have cash. No hard feels...

ash0158 15

I'm sure she appreciated dinner! I'm sorry you couldn't take her out to the movie though, next time set a budget for each event maybe.

Comments

Honesty is the way to go. I'm pretty sure she'll understand if you told her the truth. She's your girlfriend, so she obviously cares and loves you and she's not gonna judge you.

You really should have been honest with her. My ex boyfriend lied to me all the time. Lied about still living with his mom, lied about his finances all the time. I tolerated it a couple times but I left him because he wouldn't stop lying about it. I didn't care if he was broke, I did care that he felt the need to lie about it constantly. He actually thought I was so shallow that it mattered. Don't make this a habit.

hunteryager 18

well maybe since you paid for the expensive dinner, she could have paid for the movie. You're both just trying to have a good time right?

Honesty is the best policy, especially in a relationship.

Have a movie at home? It's not the same but it's not a bad option

After a year of dating this type of truthful conversation shouldn't be a problem. Well unless she's a money grubbing gold digger bitch.

Why would you like about something like money to someone you've been with for a year. In your head, compare the reaction to you telling her that you're broke and you can't afford a movie against the reaction of when she finds out you lied about it. A lot of people read FML these days, after all.

Yes, and his girlfriend is going to find out by an anonymous post with a nickname not real name? Could be anyone who posted it. And a white lie like that isn't going to hurt anyone anyways.

Well, if you've been going out with the guy for nearly a year. And went out for a fancy dinner/movie date lately. And he begged off claiming to be sick. And you live in Illinois. THAT MIGHT BE YOUR ,BOYFRIEND. How many people can that reasonably be? On top of that, it's pretty likely she's seen him reading FML. Or even reading the funnier ones to her out loud. All I can say is if there was that much coincidence with an event in my life popping up on FML, I'd have a conversation with my girlfriend about it.

Sorry, OP- but you should have planned it better. Nowadays all the restaurant menus are online. You should have budgeted for the most expensive thing on the menu. After a year of dating, you shouldn't have to lie, either. Whatever happened to going Dutch? It wasn't like it was your first date! YDI

150493x 29

That's a shame, OP. But hopefully she would have understood if you did tell her, especially since you have been together for a while.