By Anonymous - 12/01/2011 08:23 - Canada

Today, I told my husband I want to lose the baby weight I put on with my recent pregnancy, and once I succeed I will go on a clothes shopping spree. To this he remarked, "So either way I'm spending money; either on food or on clothes." FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 291
You deserved it 10 860

Same thing different taste

Top comments

No man is going to react well to your plans to spend his money.

Well, the man has a point, unless it would definitely be your own money you would spend on clothes. Besides, why would you need to go on a shopping spree? Surely you'd have a selection of clothes from before you were pregnant that would fit when you lose the baby weight, and you could buy a couple of new things as a reward for being able to lose the weight. Unless you used the word spree as an exaggeration.

Comments

ulicksam 0

You don't still have clothes that fit before you got pregnant? I don't blame him. That kid is going to cost a mint and you're out to replace a whole wardrobe. YDI.

She never said that she was going to buy a whole new wardrobe. A shopping spree to most women isn't spending thousands of dollars on all new clothes. I agree the timing is probably bad, having a new baby and all, but I understand wanting new clothes after losing a bunch of weight. OP, go a little easy on him, and don't overspend. I'm glad for you that you aren't going to become one of those women that stop taking care of themselves and live in sweatpants. At least shop the sale racks, or TJMaxx.

I agree with Cinn, I think the only thing that's bothering me is the word "spree" as if OP needs to *replace* her wardrobe, when in reality she might just want to buy a few slimming items as reward for knocking off the weight. I don't think anyone should be judging OP on how much weight she has gained in her pregnancy, some women gain 10-15 lbs and others gain upwards of 40. Also let us not forget that hormones are still going wild soon after pregnancy and OP might be exaggerating/extra upset due to that.

This seems to fit DocBastard's rules about women with no sense of humour AND men being insensitive dicks. Amazing.

^THIS Why doesn't anyone think that staying at home to look after the baby is a job? So what, all the money is his and she has no money at all, because she's at home looking after THEIR kid? A marriage is a partnership. It's on FMLs like these that it becomes clear the comments section on this site is populated almost exclusively by 14 year olds.

skyeyez9 24

Maybe buy a few outfits at a time? Spread it out over a few mos so it isn't such a money shock.

Sure, marriage means turning "your money" and "my money" into "our money" most of the time. But when a spouse takes advantage of this and tries to bleed their significant other dry, then it is absolutely not okay. This is especially true when you have a baby; now the money is labelled "yours, mine, -and- the baby's". When you have a dependent, your child must be your priority. You have to start being more cautious with your expenses, because your child will end up costing a few hundred thousand dollars for the next two decades. I'm not trying to create any unfair generalizations, but more often than not I have seen women have little to no concept of money or how it's managed. Believe it or not, sometimes we have to put our own desires on hold to keep our heads above the water. Couples must make it important to discuss the family finances so as to prevent future conflicts.  Okay, those were my daily truths. Have a nice day. 

SuperMaria 0

"more often than not I have seen women have little to no concept of money or how it's managed." Really? Where do you live and what generation are you in? 'round here it's mostly mothers working 2 jobs and the dads at home on the couch.

OMG making generalities by judging people! Both way happened doesn't mean we're all one or the other! And let's be honest a shopping spree can be relative...did she meant buying tons of clothes or buy a few so she doesn't look homeless...It's not a reward after ou have a baby it's a need...I've gained 60 the first time and 50lbs the 2nd time both lost all the weight afterward but my shape is different!

SuperMaria 0

Yeah... Your hips never really recover. I had a baby 2 months ago, and while I'm back down to my prepregnancy weight, I still can't fit into my pants. I'm going to need new pants to go back to work. #60, don't get me wrong I wasn't saying woman are better financially either. Just from personal experience, financial intelligence has nothing to do with gender. IMO, it's how your parents raised you.

RedPillSucks 31

Damn, SuperMaria, You lost all your pregnancy weight in 2 months? The other mothers on here are going to hunt you down and kick your ass.... Or worship you, not sure which. Congrats.

48, can't agree more. I'd be simply ashamed to just stay at home and make my boyfriend bring his paycheck and give it to me. Though it's easier for me since both of us are childfree (thus, no baby expenses).

RedPillSucks 31

well, most women who decide to be house-wives do far more than just take care of the kids, which is a job all by itself. There's house work/cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, laundry, and any other errands. Some are also in charge of organizing the finances. This is not a 9-5 job, its 24/7 with breaks only when you sleep, and no vacation time. How much is that worth?

SuperMaria 0

Could I avoid the ass kicking if I explained my kid was a good little parasite and 10 lbs of my weight was actual baby?

Ehm.... raising a kid is not a job. If you decide to have an offspring, it's your damn responsibility to raise it properly. Yes, completely with manners and such. Know what? If it's a job, then I demand quality control. Because I've apparently seen a whole fuckload of mommies with spoiled, obnoxious, ill-mannered brats, and those mommies are oooooh so proud of themselves because they're working oh so hard. Btw, raising a kid is a task for both parents. Also, taking care of a house is way less hard than you think. I'm a female, so I can relate.

MuchDance90s 0

lol obvious child free "advice"/ opinion your ignorance is blatant

Sooooo, is it only the female's task to raise the kid, and the sperm donor should do nothing, just nominally exist so that the kid would have a daddy? Or should a guy be treated like a two-legged wallet who must "STFU and pony up the cash"? What do you think, 110?

SuperMaria 0

Divorce him! That was just uncalled for! Seriously? Come on op lighten up. If my husband said this to me I would laugh and burn him back.

skyeyez9 24

I don't remember buying much clothes after our baby was born. Mainly, I was always exhausted caring for a newborn, and going shopping for clothes was the last thing on my mind. SLEEP was what I craved most vs new clothes.

If the father is actually active in his parental role each parent should get some rest and time to take care of themselves...

RedPillSucks 31

That kind of depends. In my case, I am a light sleeper, so even if my wife tried to get up to feed the baby, she would end up waking me up any way. Instead, as a compromise, she pumped some bottles before going to bed and I got up to feed the kids. So she was always well rested and I was the sleepless zombie.

but since she was rested I hope for you she took more house chores or cooked or let you have naps to complete the compromise!

Actually this way you're spending money on food AND clothes. Healthy food is more expensive.

#51, no, it's not really. Chocolate bar, 50p. Can of sweetcorn, 50p. Can of sweetcorn has a greater mass of food than the chocolate bar. So often people say "oh healthy food is more expensive", but once you actually start looking, you save money by eating healthily.

The man's an idiot. Everyone knows women/children cost money, he should have thought of that before getting married. Also the woman should have a job of herself so she wouldn't have to put up with insults such as that.