By Michelle C - 26/01/2009 03:44 - United States

Today, I saw a homeless man asking for money for food. Not wanting to give him money so he'd spend it on booze, I decided to buy him a full big mac meal from McDonalds. When I went to hand it to him, he quickly waved his hand, denying it saying, "Thanks but I'm a vegetarian". FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 742
You deserved it 5 563

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I disagree. When I give money to a homeless person I am trying to help them. if they then spend that money on alcohol or drugs I won't have improved their quality of life. If I were to give aid to a third world country expecting it to be spent on water or medicine but instead the government decided to spend it on guns I wouldn't think "I gave them the money it's theirs to do with as they will, I shouldn't dictate how they spend it" I would think "Why on earth is the money I sent to help being used to make the situation worse".

Perhaps he is a vegetarian? Eh. The only comment I was going to make was on the reference to not wanting him to go buy booze with the money they would have given them. Why do we feel that with the homeless we can decide what they spend money on. If you GIVE them money, they can choose to do whatever they want with it. Even if it is to buy a pint of whiskey. Nine times out of ten your couple of bucks isn't going to change their situation much anyway. Let them get hammered if they like. They're adults. If you feel the need to dictate what they should do with your money after you 'give' it to them, then just keep it to yourself.

Comments

I agree with what #4 said. He is the one begging for help, and I have the right to choose what to give him. #16 - Yup, you are nice to treat him a meal, and in a way you made sure he isn't gonna spend it on drugs and alcohols. Kudos for you! McD's has lots of oil in it... yes it's unhealthy, but all that oil and fat help keep ppl warm. I don't see why that's a bad choice for someone who's homeless and probably has trouble keeping themselves warm. That's what I'd offer if a homeless approaches me, too, as there are McD's everywhere. OP, good for you to be buying him a full meal, too.

What's all this "beggars can't be choosers" crap? Sure, if you're out on the street, you shouldn't be picky about the quality of everything, but you have every right to stay true to your morals. I wouldn't eat a Big Mac to calm my hunger any more than I would kill a human, or kick a puppy, in exchange for food or a warm bed. What if someone offered him their dead cat to eat, would you call him ungrateful for refusing that? How about if he had allergies? There was absolutely nothing wrong with refusing a meal that contradicted his ethics. He never asked anyone to go buy him food. No one asked him if he wanted a Big Mac. I'm not saying the OP was in any way wrong for buying food rather than giving money, or even for being a bit miffed about the waste of money, but to call him ungrateful? I kind of doubt he was just looking for booze money if he denied the food though. As a broke college student, I take and eat, or save, any food (that complies with my ethics) offered to me whether I like it or not, or am hungry or not. Then again, people do strange things.

redrovaa 0

What does a dead cat have anything to do with this FML again? The OP didn't know he was a vegetarian. She went out and bought him a MEAL, not went home and found a stale sandwich in her fridge. No one would offer a homeless man a dead cat to eat, wtf are you talking about. It's her/his fault for trying to be nice? The homeless man could've just taken the rest of the meal. If you're out on the street begging for money and food, you better take what you get, none of this "YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET HIM ANYTHING." He's BEGGING. He kinda had it coming, in one way or another.

doubt he was a vegetarian. he just wanted the cash.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
StillUsesMyspace 22

Thanks for posting twice :) because of you I finally succeeded in thumbing down a dumb comment twice!

You're pretty close-minded and ignorant to automatically assume he was going to use the money for substance. People like you blow my mind. Open your eyes. Also, to #7 and what people are saying in response to that.. If you don't eat meat, you don't eat meat, homeless or not you shouldn't HAVE to eat what's put in front of you. I don't see why people are saying they have no clue what being homeless is like because that's a fair statement, let it be. It's honest and it's the truth.

If he's out begging for food (and actually wants food) then he shouldn't turn down any offers he gets. Being picky with food is a luxury--and one that a homeless man shouldn't be indulging in.

what happened to beggers can't be choosers?

silverwind_fml 0

how is that fyl? more like f*ck his life for being homeless.

master_fml 0

who cares if he was going to get shit faced with your money, if i was homeless id get drunk

To die from liver disease instead of starvation?

atomicmrpelly 2

You gave him a big mac!? What were you trying to poison him?! I think he'd have been better off with the booze!!!