By Michelle C - 26/01/2009 03:44 - United States

Today, I saw a homeless man asking for money for food. Not wanting to give him money so he'd spend it on booze, I decided to buy him a full big mac meal from McDonalds. When I went to hand it to him, he quickly waved his hand, denying it saying, "Thanks but I'm a vegetarian". FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 743
You deserved it 5 563

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I disagree. When I give money to a homeless person I am trying to help them. if they then spend that money on alcohol or drugs I won't have improved their quality of life. If I were to give aid to a third world country expecting it to be spent on water or medicine but instead the government decided to spend it on guns I wouldn't think "I gave them the money it's theirs to do with as they will, I shouldn't dictate how they spend it" I would think "Why on earth is the money I sent to help being used to make the situation worse".

Perhaps he is a vegetarian? Eh. The only comment I was going to make was on the reference to not wanting him to go buy booze with the money they would have given them. Why do we feel that with the homeless we can decide what they spend money on. If you GIVE them money, they can choose to do whatever they want with it. Even if it is to buy a pint of whiskey. Nine times out of ten your couple of bucks isn't going to change their situation much anyway. Let them get hammered if they like. They're adults. If you feel the need to dictate what they should do with your money after you 'give' it to them, then just keep it to yourself.

Comments

Perhaps he is a vegetarian? Eh. The only comment I was going to make was on the reference to not wanting him to go buy booze with the money they would have given them. Why do we feel that with the homeless we can decide what they spend money on. If you GIVE them money, they can choose to do whatever they want with it. Even if it is to buy a pint of whiskey. Nine times out of ten your couple of bucks isn't going to change their situation much anyway. Let them get hammered if they like. They're adults. If you feel the need to dictate what they should do with your money after you 'give' it to them, then just keep it to yourself.

You should have taken the lettus and slapped the hell out of him with it.

terranada 3

eat the meal yourself if he can't. where's the fml???

I disagree. When I give money to a homeless person I am trying to help them. if they then spend that money on alcohol or drugs I won't have improved their quality of life. If I were to give aid to a third world country expecting it to be spent on water or medicine but instead the government decided to spend it on guns I wouldn't think "I gave them the money it's theirs to do with as they will, I shouldn't dictate how they spend it" I would think "Why on earth is the money I sent to help being used to make the situation worse".

sillyciara 6

PERFECT ANSWER, I thought I was the only person who actually thought logically about that. thank you!

How dare you just assume that the guy will spend money on booze in the first place? And how is McDonalds FOOD? Talking to him first too much of an effort for you? You're only buying him the cheapethe vilest formform of nutrition to make yourself feel good, but it's beyond hypocrisy and prejudice. Yuk yuk yuk You want to do something good? Take a few hours of your week and go volunteer in a hospital / homeless sheetcr/ etc

Just an FYI - McDonald's fries are not vegetarian friendly as there is beef in the oil....

thatsucks42 4

Well it's true. When they cook their meat, they reuse the grease that oozed out to cook the fries. Kind of gross, super unhealthy, but very delicious. Also environmentally friendly and saves them money...

That's really not true, anybody that has worked at a McDonald's knows it isn't. Check your facts.

dreamluna 17

I'm an assistant manager at a McDonald's and it is true that they're not vegetarian.

mechwarrior 0

Number 7 really doesnt know what it feels like to be homeless.

**** it you should have then got him a salad and then eaten your meals together and shot the shit.

brodizzle 0

Only time I bought a beggar food he turned it down as well. Took my drink though. Confuses the **** out of me...

gingaa96 18

I guess beggars can be choosers..

wanderingidiot 0

what a f***ing ungrateful hobo!!! i can't even imagine that one happening!!! you're correct, fyl

You'd think if one we're a hungry homeless, one would forget about being a vegan, as long as its food.

If you were homeless and someone offered you fried dog, would you eat it? Some of us have morals extended to all animals and that doesn't change no matter how hungry you are.

Well said! People do not understand that some people would rather allow an animal to live, even if it means they go hungry.

magnetic_aura 26

At the homeless shelter where my family and I volunteer every month, there's a man who prefers to have a vegan diet, but settles for vegetarian. We're more than happy to make his dishes separately to accommodate his diet. We also take other food requests, because we want the people to enjoy the food we make for them. Being homeless is difficult enough, I think it's nice to give them some choices, some dignity...

I've seen that happen and the bum said he didn't like chinese food

Who in the world doesn't like Chinese food?

Hey man, beggars can't be choosers. You should've shat in the BigMac and threw it at him while saying, "More like - SHITATARIAN! Haha, you ungrateful bastard!". Meh, .. just an idea.