By Anonymous - 06/08/2009 07:58 - United States

Today, I punched my wife in the face, because she jumped out from behind the bedroom door in the dark. I'm afraid of the dark. I'm 21. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 210
You deserved it 42 098

Same thing different taste

Top comments

WTF is wrong with YOU?! Is it young? Yes, but who the hell are you to pass judgments on people just because of their age? For all you know they have been dating since they were 11. Just because YOU aren't ready for marriage doesn't mean other people aren't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being married at 21.

why is everyone so surprised/shocked at someone being married at 21? Maybe he knocked her up, and did the right thing as a man and married her. I mean, getting married at 21 is certainly not nearly as controversial as marrying off your 15-16-17 year old daughters as was done in centuries past...

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

i was also thinking that. i mean, im only 22 and i dont see myself getting married for another couple of years. what did the OP do, knock her up?

WTF is wrong with YOU?! Is it young? Yes, but who the hell are you to pass judgments on people just because of their age? For all you know they have been dating since they were 11. Just because YOU aren't ready for marriage doesn't mean other people aren't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being married at 21.

Ehm . . . Legal marriage age, here in England is 16, I don't know about other places, but after 16, it's his choice if he wants to get married or not, at 21, he controls absolutely EVERYTHING about his life, and he is allowed to be married at that point, for sure (and was for the past 5 years in English law). He's chosen that he wants to be married, stop questioning why he did, just because of his age, because he is in full right to do so. To the original poster: Sorry for your third person reference before. But you better look after her, buy her some chocolates. :D (And an ice-pack). :P

Agree. 21=too young. Yes its the OP's decision but even if they've been dating forever, at 21 you should still be gaining the life experiences and maturity to begin lives with one another. But anyway, she should have known not to scare you in the dark. That was just mean on her part.

gtdoll 0

what do u mean WTF is wrong w u? U REALLY shouldn't judge ppl. Because over here where I live, the normal marrying age is 19, 20, 21. Anything over that is weird here. So THINK before u speak. None of u kno where the OP live so stfu.

perryscherry 0

The OP lives in Maryland. And ditto the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being married at 21. you do it when you're ready. @ OP: She should have known you are scared of the dark. If she didnt then, she does now.

monnanon 13

some people are ready to settle down at that age, some are not. Its not exactly young i mean when our parents were younger it was probably expected to be married by your early 20's. You cant win, you get married some time between the ages of 18-23 and its a case of OMG they are so young, if you aren't married by the time you are 27-29 (especially if you are a woman) then everyone either thinks you will never settle down or that no one will have you. I am currently 22 and i am engaged and don't feel as if im losing out on something for being settled down at this age. Its a personal choice. For gods sake people let others live the way they want. Since when has the age people choose to get married directly affected you.

Skull_300 0

You ******' PUSSY!!! You're Lucky she didn't kick your "scared of the dark" ass!!!

americayay 0

Maybe they want to be married and that wasn't the point of the post? A lot of things are done differently in different places. I live in Oklahoma and most people I know were married by 23.

lemmingtree 0

I've been happily married for 2 years. I'm 21 I have no children and i'm a college student. It takes all kinds sport;-)

HE IS A ****** THAT WHAT WRONG WITH HIM

agree with #40 you all have no right to judge them.

You read FML naked!? What the hell is wrong with you?

I love you #40 That comment is so true!!!

I'm sorry but, honestly, I had to re-read it because I thought the same thing. 21? Married? Sorry. YDI.

What about gaining life experiences and maturity TOGETHER? I'm 23 and getting married this October. We've been dating since we were 18 and I got my BS degree (with his support), went to my share of parties (that he picked me up from), joined a sorority (that he was my date to every function), go out to the bars with my girlfriends.... I haven't missed out on a single thing and I had my best friend with me through it all. I would rather gain life experiences with him.

What's wrong with being married at 21? My sister was married at 22.... And no she wasn't knocked up.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

your phrasing implied that something was wrong with it

btyfuldisastr 0

uh its not unusual to be married at 21? i know a lot of people are that age engaged and soon to be married.. back in the day it was unusual to NOT be married and have popped out a bunch of babies by then. i hate how things have changed. i like how we have more freedom and stuff but i miss old traditions and values...expecially family ones.

I got married at 18, I'm now almost 20

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Gavik 0

Yea, he shoulda seen it coming.

lucy331 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Don't be an asshole. Some people don't need to be alone to "grow and gain life experiences" or to "have fun". It's none of your business what other people do, so go worry about your own goddamn life.

...like you being a judgemental jerk? I think it's great that they're married that early.

why is everyone so surprised/shocked at someone being married at 21? Maybe he knocked her up, and did the right thing as a man and married her. I mean, getting married at 21 is certainly not nearly as controversial as marrying off your 15-16-17 year old daughters as was done in centuries past...

Marrying someone you're not in love with and locking yourself, your wife and possible kids into a loveless marriage and a life of unhappiness (or a near-inevitable divorce eventually) is not at all the 'right thing' to do.

What a ridiculous thing to say. "maybe he knocked her up and did the right thing and married her". Is that a joke?! This is the 21st century! Why on earth would you marry someone just because you got them pregnant? that is almost guaranteed to end in divorce and then would certainly not benefit the child.

Who said that they don't love each other? 21 is early yes, but so what? 20 is earlier...

How is it wrong to support the child and not abandon the mother HE got pregnant? He must have loved her at some point to concieve.* It's just as much his fault as hers. Too many guys think "LOL UR PREGS? CYA" *Except if it was some cheap *****, but it's still his child. And divorce is not OMG SU HAMFRUL on the child. Many divorces ARE beneficial to the child. My entire life my parents have been screaming at each other, along with things getting broken and destroyed... (no make up sex, just so you know). I wish they WOULD have gotten divorced, but it didn't happen because they "didn't want to put us through that kind of thing" - sorry, but that bullshit every day of my life is a lot worse than TEH GR8 HRDSHIPZ of divorce... But I'm 18 and will be leaving soon anyway, so no use whining now.

You have completely contradicted yourself there #83. If you're making the point that its a good idea to get married if you've knocked someone up (which I think you are, however confusingly you worded it) and you then went on to state divorce wasn't bad, and you wished your parents got divorced. Then...now think about it.... wouldn't it have been better if they hadn't got married in the first place?!

I was actually saying the man should take responsibility. If that includes getting married for some, then go ahead, why not. Sometimes I think it would be better if they had never gotten married, but my brother came along eventually too. Sometimes it is better if they don't get married, sometimes they do get married and it seems to work, but it doesn't (then divorcing would be better), sometimes it does work out after all. What my second point, though, was that divorce is not always harsh on the children. Staying in a relationship you know won't work is.

It is possible to love your spouse at 21 ya know... And either way it doesn't matter, it's not the point of the fml anyway.

#83. Yeah. It was all down to the MAN that the WOMAN ends up pregnant. Lay all the blame on him.... It takes two to tango -_-

caramelize 0

FHL more than yours. And everyone else, shut the **** up about his age. It's none of your business.

that is okay, a lot of ppl are scared of the dark, and by the way, I said no to this one when I moderated it this morning

Xeph 0

punching her,lol. did she try to fight back?