By russianfail - 04/12/2013 16:24 - United States - Dallas

Today, I'm not getting paid 400$ per month because I failed my Russian language proficiency test. Russian is my first language. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 443
You deserved it 16 685

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I guarantee that their are a lot of native English speakers would fail an English proficiency test to. You're test was probably just a bit two hard. Just except that you need too study harder and due better next time. Good luck.

Native speakers tend to have more improper grammar and usages of slang than those that learned a language in an educational environment. Learning a language naturally tends to leave more room for twisting the rules of that language's grammar. Those who learn a language in an educational setting end up learning rules of that language at the same time as they learn the language itself. Natural learning of a language tends to get the language before full understanding of the rules of that language is learned and understood.

Comments

I'm from Canada, and my computer only understands so-called American English, so if I spell colour with a U I get an an angry red squiggly line under it, which basically means, "you can't spell and you're stupid". But if I switched it to UK English it would do the same if I spelled tire with an I. It's like everyone in the US thinks we're British and everyone from the UK thinks we're American and they need to just. Get. Over. It! Also American and Canadian are not languages, the two main languages in Canada are English and French.

"Tire" in the UK is an entirely different word, so you wouldn't get a squiggly line, but your sentence would no longer make sense. I tire of your strange Canadian mix-and-match approach to English.

He failed the same way you failed English in grade school.

The English language had nothing to do with this FML.

Sorry, but you deserve it. I know that I would pass any English language proficiency test with flying colors.

Wow. You're incredibly stuck up. Just because you *think* you would pass an English test, doesn't mean OP should have passed a similar test in a completely different language! Russian doesn't even use the same letters we do.

Why don't you try it if you think you're so good?

I assume you are talking about the military one. That test is like raping your brain with an ice pick for 5 hours.

Russian is awesome! That sucks about the test.. I'm learning by ear from native speakers, learning in structured setting vs immersion are completely different. I started picking it up accidentally by being around it often.

$400/month isn't that much.. there are much better jobs!! keep your head up, you'll find a job worth a lot more!

This isn't 400 American dollars, this is in Russia, where the currency is different.

The sign for rubles is not $, though. Also, 400 rubles would be... $12. Also, OP posted from Texas. I'm thinking OP meant it was a raise of $400 more a month.

#58 , Actually if you notice the FML was posted from United States . So yes the currency is dollar $_$.

I'm a Spanish teacher and I have had more than one native speaker "fail" my class because, 1) they didn't think they needed to do the work 2) they didn't know jack in their own language except how to speak it. Being proficient in a language is more than speaking. It's being able to read, write, hear and speak correctly. If you aren't good at all of those, you are not proficient.