By stupidoldcar - 16/11/2009 02:59 - United States

Today, I finished installing a brand new engine in my old car. It cost just over $6000. Later, I was waiting at a red light and an uninsured drunk driver smashed into it head on. It's completely totaled. I got to drive it 5 miles. The car is worth $1000, even with a new engine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 272
You deserved it 4 401

Same thing different taste

Top comments

:( Ugh. I'm sorry. Your insurance should cover most of it, right? This is why we need to have stricter rules in the US about drunk drivers... esp. uninsured ones!

spiderman0606 0

Dude, if he doesnt have insurance that automatically means it's his fault (although it is his fault) and he has to pay for everything. But fyl until everything is taken care of.

Comments

bobsanction 18

FYL for spending 6k to put an engine in a car lol.

Darth_Taco 14

You know, you can still sue the guy to pay for damages. He'll likely have who ***** himself or something to compensate you for your car, but he still has to pay regardless of insurance or no insurance. Most likely after he serves time in jail for being a dumb shit. You're fine though, he still has to pay.

i_is_a_tr00l 0

"It cost over $6000." "It was 1000, even with the new engine." Do you not know how to add?

When an insurance company values your car, they don't care what you spent on the parts. They go by what it's worth in a public market setting.

I'm pretty sure they don't include modifications unless they have to; insurance companies aren't exactly known for paying more than they have to. So if the market price for that kind of car was 1000$, that's what he'd get. The value of a car isn't equal to the money you've spent on it, not even close. Establishing the exact value of a modified version of the car would be hard, and my guess is that it would be even harder to file separate claims for the engine and the rest of the car. In other words, sucks to be OP. Still, this did happen in Texas. Since it's in the US I assume that the instinctive reaction would be to sue. Since it's Texas, shooting the drunk **** should also be a viable option. Both are better than dealing with an insurance company.

No_fyl_cuz_ydi 0

next time take the money and invest in a newer car. once things start breakin down it's like a domino effect so ima have to say ydi

AHA it's called buy a new car and get insurance

I must say it was kinda dumb to spend $6000 on a $1000 car, but that doesn't mean YDI. That other guy is definately at fault, so it's his responsibility to pay for damages.

I can't think of any relevent comments. All I can hear since the "head on" part is, "Apply directly to the forehead."

Crippla 0

Seems like the majority of comments for this FML fall into 2 categories of stupid: "it's his fault you're fine" except that the guy is drunk and uninsured, and probably doesn't have any money. You can sue someone with nothing but they don't magically have enough money to pay you when you win. Lets not forget that he needs something to drive for the months it takes to extract money from this asshole. "ur dumb 4 spending $6k on a cheap car" except that almost every car is a bad investment and starts losing money as soon as you buy it. Lots of people take older cars and restore them. What if he just bought it new, got hit, and still lost like $6k because the market value drops as soon as you drive it off the lot?

If a $1,000 car needs $6,000 worth of work, it's already totaled. You should never have bought the new engine in the first place.

The other driver was uninsured? Go to the doctor and tell them about a pain you're having in your back. Then take the fool driver to court. You have a ticket of opportunity if you want to use it.