By CallMeJesusFreak - 23/06/2011 23:58 - United States

Today, I couldn't prove my son has had chickenpox, so his school gave us the option of getting a potentially dangerous shot he didn't need, pay for an expensive blood test to show that he previously had the virus, or sign a waiver stating I'm a religious nut refusing medical treatment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 001
You deserved it 7 929

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

if your talking about the chickenpox shot then you are crazy. just make the kid get the shot

You have to pay to get blood tests :l Boy do I ever love living in Canada!

AntoshaChekhonte 6

I'm sure no one will read this comment, but let me just write... HERD IMMUNITY. HERD IMMUNITY. HERD IMMUNITY. When you choose not to vaccinate your child, you are putting immunocompromised children at greater risk of becoming infected themselves. Their parents must rely on the herd effect so that their children do not die from diseases like chicken pox; a disease that your child may be fortunate enough to survive with minimal effects. They must rely (however unintentionally) on you to vaccinate your child so that their immunocompromised child does not die. You might think your child benefits from the herd effect (and they probably do), but the issue is that when large groups of parents decide not to vaccinate, the whole system is thrown out of order. It relies on a very small unvaccinated group in order to keep the effect going. If no one is getting vaccinated, after all, the disease has plenty of hosts and can flourish. Frankly, I think not vaccinating your children is selfish and dangerous. If your child is able to receive vaccines, they should. Otherwise you're not only putting your child at risk of some very nasty diseases, you're risking the health of children who are immunocompromised. Seriously, it's ******* stupid. You're willing to risk your child dying of preventable diseases because you're afraid of some debunked shit perpetuated by a fraud? And in the mean time, other children could also die from your willful ignorance. Seriously, look at the statistics on measles and pertussis-- hell, even polio. No one thinks of them as a big deal because THEY WERE VACCINATED or they have benefited from the herd effect. They seem like an abstract concept, as mythical as the Spanish flu. The problem is that they are sneaking back up and infecting/killing more and more people every year because in the mean time people would rather blame things like MMR for their child's disability or problems instead of accepting that they happened.

You would be totally 100% right if OP's child needed the vaccine but he doesn't. I wouldn't give my child any kind of medication or vaccination they didn't need. Any vaccination has a risk no matter how small, there is risk associated with everything you do in life. Why would OP take an unnecessary risk with her child? I am in NO way saying vaccinations are bad or dangerous! Forget all the scaremongering, anyone can have an allergic reaction to something. People who refuse to vaccinate their child because they think vaccines are inherently dangerous are idiots, they are important! Unless you know your kid is allergic to something in the vaccine or already has a compromised immune system there's no reason not to give it..

AntoshaChekhonte 6

#342, I can agree with that. The only thing I take regularly is an adult multi-vitamin at the recommendation of my GP. Part of my philosophy regarding my body is that I don't put things in it that don't need to be in it unless absolutely necessary. I don't believe the OP's son needs any vaccine either. He's had chickenpox and is immune (presumably). I do believe regular vaccination is necessary though. Honestly though, my post was more one of frustration against other posters. Ones like #335 are reasonable and I understand their positions. Some people shouldn't get vaccinated, they are allergic or simply have bad reactions. They are, in fact, the ones that should benefit from the herd effect. The problem is the people who go off half-cocked about autism and MMR and ADHD... or whatever their latest crackpot vaccine theory is. Those are the people who frustrate me. I do not work in medicine (although I did aspire to for a long time). I have some experience with immunocompromised children though. A boy who grew up near me was immunocompromised was was unvaccinated. He nearly died from measles when we were in the third grade. I remember having a really big crush on him, so who knows? Maybe my unrequited young love for an immunocompromised boy sparked my intense advocacy of vaccinations :)

just make him get the shot. no big deal. dont whine. it isnt an fml

option C. hands down. maybe they'll leave you alone in the future

I'm going to admit, I'm not exactly thrilled with vaccines. Yes, I think they're important. Yes, I am going to vaccinate my children, but not the Chickenpox vaccine. For one, my father, mother, AND brother all had severe reactions to different vaccines (father to Polio, mother to DTP, and brother to MMR) where they all almost died. They all had to spend considerable time in the hospital because of it. I had the chickenpox vaccine, and because of it ended up with Shingles at the age of sixteen that almost caused paralysis on the left side of my face and almost caused me to go blind. I don't know why my family reacts the way they do to vaccines, but I'm willing to take the "relatively" small risk of my children getting sick otherwise for a couple of years as opposed to watching them come that close to death because I vaccinated them so early before their own immune systems were ready for it. Don't go condemning those who don't want to vaccinate just because you think everyone will be just fine. The real world doesn't work that way. And before I hear any shit about how ignorant I am about vaccines, I'm a nurse. I give these vaccines every day. But I also know my own history and my own risks.

AntoshaChekhonte 6

#335, I understand your position. My post was not meant against folks like you. Your position is completely reasonable in light of your family history regarding vaccination. Rather, my post was meant in defense of people who do not vaccinate for the reasons you mentioned. You shouldn't have to worry about your children getting those diseases, but you do because other people go "herp-a-derp, vaccines are bad-" and they spew whatever the trendiest anti-vaccine theory is while spreading diseases that should be nearly eradicated. There are legitimate complications from vaccines and I did not mean to overlook those in my defense of vaccination, but I did. Apologies.

How is your life F'd? Just get the blood test and stop complaining, every other parent would have to too. Also, a blood test is a good thing to get every now and then, they could detect something by chance. FYI, all shots are potentially dangerous. It wouldn't have killed him to get it and sounds like it was free.

Bamvytar 0

Get over yourself and sign the waiver.

I noticed that so far as i have read, when discussing the chicken pox virus, people under estimate just how serious the side effects can be, one word............Encephalitis. The "it's harmless and wont happen to my child" attitude is alarming, do you really think they would develop a vaccine if the disease was as harmless as you think?? Even something as simple as slapped cheek can have serious consequences but most of the time that doesn't even require medical attention, however when my daughter had it i still informed others of it as 3 of them fell in the at risk categories and still had to be aware of the possible consequences...

monnanon 13

Its a wierd one cause everyone gets the MMR and hardly anyone dies of measles. Still I do wonder if chicken pox is less dangerous than the things MMR protects against since the UK where I stay does not routinely give the vaccine. Maybe we are just being cheated tho lol