By horriblejoke - 10/10/2012 15:05 - Australia - Perth

Today, I completely shaved my head as a gesture for my boyfriend's mother, who was suffering from cancer and having a terrible time undergoing chemotherapy. Turns out she doesn't even have cancer, and my boyfriend thought I wouldn't have the guts to do it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 712
You deserved it 5 506

Same thing different taste

Top comments

aly_pinay22 8

Your boyfriend is a douche. Sorry OP.

Wow... If that's how he treats you then he obviously doesn't respect you or his mother by lying about her having such a terrible sickness... Get rid of him, OP.

Comments

aly_pinay22 8

Your boyfriend is a douche. Sorry OP.

jjohnson26559 1

On the bright side G.I. Jane was sexy.

PleaseStayChill 9

Put hair removal cream in his shampoo or hair gel.

That was a very nice thing to do OP. Put sugar in his gas tank! He's a ass.

Man, **** this noise. Who seriously uses terminal cancer as a prank? Really, **** that dude.

sighawkward 6

Well I hope you raised some money for cancer research while you were at it and then it might have been worth while!

I agree. OP if he's like this 3/4 of the time I think you can do better

TPH1979 18

Save your sugar. Just use water.

Thats not something to joke about. Srry OP! :(

Maybe she looks like Natalie Portman.

116, I lost a few family members of my own to cancer. I'm sorry for your loss. I was just diagnosed with cancer, less than two weeks ago, and I can't even fathom someone using cancer as a prank/dare. The boyfriend needs to be dumped ASAP!

183, Thank you. The worst part is, I'm pregnant so I can't be treated til after I give birth. But your kind words put a smile on my face. All the best to you.

william8691 10

Wow... If that's how he treats you then he obviously doesn't respect you or his mother by lying about her having such a terrible sickness... Get rid of him, OP.

2: "Dump him" is usually not solid advice with so little info to go on, but you're right: respect is everything, and OP's BF has none.

You're right too, he needs to know that cancer isn't a joke

#2 i don't see how he has no respect for his gf. Yeah it was a very bad joke, but we don't know how he treats her. Just because of this joke you can't tell if he respects her or not. But what he did was very immature

iOceanus 18

58 - I agree. Maybe he treats her like a princess, for all we know, and just wanted to troll her a little bit. 'Get rid of him' is pretty extreme.

I don't know about ops boyfriend being respectful in his relationships especially when there's not enough info to go on. Regardless, not too many people lie about their mother having a degenerative disease in order to tell a good joke. His actions are repulsive and I would be livid if that were my boyfriend. I'm sorry that this situation happened to you op but you definitely need to have a stern conversation with your boyfriend over things that are funny and things that are cruel.

Well they must have just started dating because how do you not know your BF mother has cancer or not? OP kind of deserve it because she made a poor decision without knowing the facts

93 - if my bf told me his mom had cancer and was undergoing chemo, I would see no reason to doubt him.

And what if op lives far from her boyfriends mom, she may not see her often and is relying on her boyfriend for info.

58: Respect is about not pulling pranks like this on somebody you care about. This guy let his gf shave her head when he knew full well that her reason for doing it was a lie for his entertainment; that's not respect. Joking about cancer and his mother dying isn't very respectful, either.

I'm only saying cause I've seen cancer strike many times and the ending isn't pretty

iOceanus 18

Someone please explain why I got negatives.

That sucks! But at least it shows your true character that you'd do something so selfless! (Now go shave his eyebrows while he's sleeping!)

I think this is a situation where OP should get rid of her boyfriend. That's not something to joke or lie about ever.

Lmao a friend in high school a few years back had this happen to him when he passed out drunk with his shoes on! So he drew them on with a sharpie and came to school a few days later!

I agree with 56. What kind of asshole uses his mother's own life to get his caring girlfriend to shave her head? Leave him immediatly.

Or wax em. Takes way longer to grow back

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Yes, YDI for caring about your boyfriend and his family /sarcasm How do you know her and her boyfriend don't live in another state and the only way she can get information about his mother is through him? How is she gullible for believing something her boyfriend said, when it's something as serious as cancer? No, it's a total FHL because her boyfriend is an ass

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
unknown_user5566 26

Torbey- Stop making ridiculous assumptions to back up your asinine "YDI" vote. You are making yourself look like a complete ass.

How do you know they aren't close? I was very close with my exboyfriends mom, but we only had time to talk once or twice a month. You have no idea the situation of their relationship. OP and her boyfriend could have lived near his parents for awhile but then moved. Or, when my aunt got cancer, we never talked with her about it because it made her upset. She may not have rushed out and done it, it could have been an ongoing prank. All of these things could have happened. You are assuming one thing out of very few details. FMLs aren't black and white. There may be details we aren't aware of.

I completely agree with you Torbey. Some people use other people's tragedies to show to the world how caring they are. How about instead of shaving your head to show support, sit through a 4 hour chemo treatment and actually do something to support that person, instead of just telling everyone how supportive you are.

Schizomaniac 24

46- If we didn't make assumptions we wouldn't be able to vote either way. He thinks she deserves it. You don't. Let's all scoot along now.

Schizomaniac 24

My entire argument falls apart and my point is void. Good thing you pointed that out.

young_happy: Are you a ******* idiot? "Some people use other people's tragedies to show the world how caring they are." Um, what? Don't people usually show their support as a result of tragedies? If everything were okay, nobody would HAVE to show their support. And why THE **** would she sit through chemotherapy if she doesn't have cancer? I guess the people that donate to the 'Make A Wish' Foundation are just attention ****** then, huh? NOW it all makes sense.

unknown_user5566 26

52- There are assumptions based on deductive reasoning, and then there are assumptions based on nonsensical "what if..." thought processes. Torbey seems to fall under the nonsensical umbrella.

BubbleGrunge 18

51-you, my friend, are a complete and total ass. When my grandmother went through Chemo, she was thankful for support from anyway; family or stranger. Now, let me get this right. You suggest instead of shaving your head to support someone's fight, sit through chemo treatments to see how horrible they are? I don't need to "sit" through a treatment, I know first hand how horrible cancer treatments are. How, exactly, is taking a treatment you don't need (which is expensive and supplies can run short at times) showing your support?

BubbleGrunge 18

51-you, my friend, are a complete and total ass. When my grandmother went through Chemo, she was thankful for support from anyway; family or stranger. Now, let me get this right. You suggest instead of shaving your head to support someone's fight, sit through chemo treatments to see how horrible they are? I don't need to "sit" through a treatment, I know first hand how horrible cancer treatments are. How, exactly, is taking a treatment you don't need (which is expensive and supplies can run short at times) showing your support?

Schizomaniac 24

65- I am very familiar with deductive reasoning, and I can tell you that neither party has used it very well here. My point was that people yelling "No, she deserves it" and "No, she doesn't!" wasn't going to get anywhere.

Sinkhole 26

Am I the only one here who read the "sit through a 4 hour chemo treatment and actually do something to support that person" as "sit with them and keep them company"? I thought the "do something to support that person" implied that.

Either way Sinkhole, there are other ways to show support besides sitting through a chemotherapy session with somebody. And I'm not condemning anyone who has or does. If what they're saying is "Do something other than blow hot air." then I agree and take back everything I said. However, their first statement, which I quoted, seems to say otherwise.

I do mean to sit with them and keep them company, or do other things that will actually support the person sick. Sure, shaving your head in support can be a great gesture, when done with the person who is sick and losing their hair. But doing it without even confirming that someone is sick (or that they will lose their hair...not all chemo causes hairloss) just seems more show-offy than supportive, since they seemingly weren't even close enough to this woman to know anything about her condition. I'm talking about empty gestures, like posting things on FB but never actually spending time with or taking care of someone when they are sick. Things just so people will say "What a supportive and caring person you are!" but aren't actually helping the sick person at all.

SenselessPattern 12

I honestly don't care one way or another about everyone's opinions, but until #85 said something I was about to rip my hair off. Obviously she didn't mean sit through chemo treatment yourself. Glad you hammered some sense into this rage-train of opinions.

I would say that she should have confirmed a potential tragedy with the person themselves, but the mom might not have wanted it known (if it were true). Honestly, if I had cancer, I would appreciate a gesture like that, but I would rather my family do other things to support me (as stated by those who were down voted). I don't know if it's just me, but I would rather emotional support than people shaving their heads for me.

KiddNYC1O 20

People don't do it for credit. They do it because either they've been affected by it or they are kind, humbled people.

Yeeea! Lets just keep complaining over a FML post!...

I dont know personally I think family or stranger and whether you know they are sick or not if you're showing your support thats a big move and its a great thing to. Showing support and someone isnt reallly sick doesnt make that person a show off. They didnt ask questions they just showed the support to the person who needed it. I wouldnt have asked if someone really was sick, i would still do what I could anyways. Its like my mothers friend does she sees people asking for money and she gives it she doesnt know if the person will spend it on money or drugs all that matters was she did something good, she gave that effort she was willing to help someone. That is what matters even if its real or not.

Spend it on money or drugs lol alcohol or drugs duh me

sdh715 6

While I agree sometimes people do do things to show off their compassion, I think shaving ones head is pushing it too far. I really don't think OP shaved her head to show off.

51- being supportive of someone with cancer can range from anything from anyone. pull your head out of your ass. when my mother was dying from cancer she welcomed the support from anyone. when you know of someone with cancer whether it be family or not. there is no bragging to make yourself look better because during that time all that matters is the health and well being of that person. support helps. may not heal the cancer but it shows that you aren't allow and not every person is a selfish prick.

Dont be such a dick you dont joke about cancer

Or the more logical explanation is that she was "recently diagnosed" (as claimed by boyfriend) not that she's had it forever and it's just being brought up now. Although I agree one should wait to get all the facts (and see if a person would even lose their hair) before making such a decision, it was a kind gesture. Also, I work at a cancer hospital, anyone and everyone gets cancer suddenly and some die very quickly. It could be the only chance she has to show support.

Go back to the barber and pay them extra to etch "My boyfriend is a lying ass" into your head. Or "Drugs kill" and in tiny letters underneath"...time". Either way.

Cyborgs don't always make the best comments....

71- you must still be in the beta stage. Go debug yourself.

Reeserr 3

Good attempt at trying to be funny.

It was a nice gesture but your bf is clearly a douchehole... Invest in a wig until it grows back

Or just rock the bald head and say you did it for cancer awareness in general.

I kind of take meaning to this, and it's like accidental support to my friend's sister, who has Leukemia and is undergoing treatment.

Wait till he's asleep, wax his head, then when he wakes up, tell him that you didn't think he would mind.

lacespace 8

Ya he'd probably sleep like a baby while his hair follicles are being ripped from his scalp

Well when he wakes up, she says "I didn't think you would wake up"

lacespace 8

And then be prepared with laughing gas and a mask to put on him, while creepily whispering in his ear all the sick things you're going to do to him while he's drugged so he pees himself. Then Wax his head and then his balls. Then his entire body until he feels like a baby dolphin...muhaha. Right?

I was referring to an old FML but that works too :3

So he lied to you or she had some illness, just not cancer? I'm a little confused. Some stories are too complicated for a FML.

unknown_user5566 26

1) Boyfriend told OP mom had cancer. 2) OP shaves her head. 3) Boyfriend reveals mom doesn't have cancer. 4) OP was duped and shaved her head for nothing. You're welcome.

You're making guesses based on what was said. Several things weren't clear.

olpally 32

53- it's exactly what the fml said and kyleekay dumbed it down for you... Is your reading comprehension really that bad? Don't answer that... that might be too hard for you as well. Smh...

unknown_user5566 26

53- No, I simply restated the obvious based on what actually happened according to the FML. "Turns out she doesn't even have cancer, and my boyfriend didn't think I'd have the guts to actually do it." - This means the boyfriend lied to OP about his mom having cancer to see if she'd actually shave her head.

Werken247 14

Clean your glasses, it's all very clear. Or you IQ is measured in decimals...

antixx101 0

Time to shave his head while he's sleeping!!

What a true dick. He's the scum of the earth.

flutter4 7

I don't know why he would lie about his mom having cancer. My husband had cancer and it is not a joke.

SenselessPattern 12

Wouldn't he be a false dick because he lied?

96- I'm pretty sure the fml says he lied about the cancer to see if the girlfriend would shave her head. Really, it's all right there. Also (not directly related at you 96, just a general comment), why is it that if a small group of people experience tragedy, then no one on earth is allowed to make a joke about it anymore? I've never understood that.

jem970 19

105: cancer does not effect a small group of people. And a deadly disease that kills hundreds each year is not funny. Take your twisted, sick sense of humor somewhere else douch-bag.