By pkstarstorm - 14/07/2009 06:58 - United States

Today, I came out to my dad. He called me weak minded and said that he has never been more disappointed in me. I didn't come out as gay. I came out as a vegetarian. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 054
You deserved it 20 079

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Ignorance ftl. I've been a vegetarian all my life and don't need to take any form of pills for nutrients, because my diet is varied enough and protein doesn't just come from meat (:

Sorry, I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots all the time.

if you're hoping to be a healthy omnivore you should be eating more vegetables than just carrots anyway. Same thing goes for vegetarians. And good job taking credit for all of human evolution.

It's a generalisation, yes, but a lot of vegetarians ARE malnourished. Because they puss out and go, "waaaah, I don't like the taste of red meat", and cut it out of their diets all together, but don't understand that they need to replace it with something. Props to you if you are a long-term, committed, HEALTHY vegetarian/vegan, but there are so many people who just go through it like a phase and can't sustain it. I'm pretty sure that's why it's so hard for others to respect the choice.

It's a disgrace for downgrading a comment when you acted like a complete ass? You are shunning a life choice because you think you're better than them in what YOU think is logical. Whatever downgrade you get, you deserve. You have to realize when people are uncomfortable with eating animals, that's the way they feel. It's their life choice, be intolerable against it in the manner you spoke of just makes you sound like an asshole yourself. Most of the reasons discrimination is generated is because of the people thinking like you.

xjordanxjadedx 0

yeah, it's natural for humans to eat meat, food chain, blah blah blah, i tried being a veggie, gave up, love bacon. it IS natural, but have you seen the videos? do you KNOW what they do to the animals? and you know, if you want to go out and kill some animal and eat it, go ahead. but the MASS-PRODUCE animals in tiny spaces, just to kill them. you know ehye kill most male chicks, just because they're male? i mean, wouldn't it suck to live your whole life in a cage just to die and be eaten? cattle ranches, actual farms, great. the animals can actually run around and live before dying. so thats not so bad. but factory farming is DISGUSTING.

musu_fml 0

We are NOT natural predators; we have no sharp cutting claws, we walk on two legs (which is HOPELESS at running fast enough to catch four-legged animals), only four teeth in our whole mouth are suitable for tearing meat, we have no natural camoflage on our bodies, and our night-vision is nearly non-existant. The only things we have going for us are above-average brainpower and binocular vision. Gorrilas have both of these, and they are herbivores. We evolved as scavengers, with a digestive system that could handle whatever we managed to scrounge up. We could not hunt for ourselves until we DEPARTED from "nature" and fashioned tools and weapons, and even then the majority soon abandoned hunting as soon as we got agriculture and animal husbandry worked out. We are NOT natural predators. We are NOT natural hunters. At least not in the sense that you seem to be using the word "nature" (in reality, everything we are doing is natural, for it is in our nature to do them).

poopsicle22 0

hey #88 Take a look at these. Plants suffer too. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090513052854AAuostK http://plantsfeelpain.com/ http://www.department13designs.com/vegan.html Your argument is invalid.

ellbtvsvm 0

I just don't like meat and don't want to eat it. **** you. Don't tell me I "obviously haven't tasted" enough. I have. And I don't want to eat it.

Unless you can go up to an animal, kill it with your bare hands, cut it open, and eat it raw, you have no business calling humans natural predators. The only reason you eat meat is because someone else is doing all of that for you. And you really think you're qualified to call vegetarians *******?

If I may, I have walked up to an animal (in this case, a pheasant), grabbed it with my bare hands, wrung its neck, then proceeded to cut it open, wash it in a stream, build a fire, cook it and eat it (I consider that better than eating it raw, to be honest; building a fire is a very predatorial thing to do). Humans are natural predators. Why do you think we hunted Mammoths? Or bison, or deer, or learned to fish, and so on and so forth. We are omnivores, and therefore as much predators as bears are (which is also an omnivore), except we've also evolved to be able to eat bear, so in fact, I believe that would make us more predators than they are? On that note, I have nothing against vegetarians. I just wanted to demonstrate to this person that we are indeed predators, and we have indeed evolved to eat meat as much as we've evolved to eat plants. I would personally never become a vegetarian - I like my red meat too much, and I like hunting too much. But if you do, props. It's not easy. In closing, I'd like to leave you with a little funny I found. While not meant to insult anyone, I just find it hilarious. http://failblog.org/2009/06/29/bulletin-board-win/#comments Enjoy.

I love commenting on these... One flaw I noticed with your argument #144 is our bipedal nature. Yes, it's not fast enough to keep up with predators, but our gleutes (butt muscles) are quite large when compared to almost any other animal. This allows us to keep running at a relatively fast pace for a long time, which in turn enables us to catch up to quadripedal creatures after they have worn themselves out running from us, and kill them from there. Also, Gorillas may be herbivores, but chimps, the closest relatives we have in the animal world, are omnivores. Our predatorial nature, and our ability to hunt effectively, has come from our being able to use tools. Up until that point, well, have you ever seen a Gorilla in a fight? They are nasty, and, despite not having sharp cutting claws, they can and do kill humans and whatever else threatens them. Even chimps can be nasty brawlers. The fact is that we are hunters, and we have evolved that way.

Since when have we seen animals in nature use tools to eat and cook a dead animal? Not quite my definition of natural, but I'm not going to put anyone down.

I will admit, cooking is a human thing, but it does seem very predatorial, no? Tools, however, have been used by many different species of ape and monkey, and even dogs will use them (I've seen my dog use a stick to get a ball out of somewhere she can't reach. Not the most advanced thing, but a tool all the same). Even Otters use rocks to break open the shells of their food.

Unfortunately most of the vegetarians that get "Attention" are the idiots, so we get a bad rap. I've been one for years and I'm as healthy as any other person. Mostly the obnoxious vegetarians are the new ones. I grew out of that stage after a couple months and I don't care if someone sitting next to me is having a juicy bloody steak with ribs on the side. I only start to care if people bother me first about not eating meat. MOST vegetarians get to this stage after being one for several years. THOSE are the ones ignoramuses like Mr. Diabetic here need to look at. I almost want to say I'm surprised that people like him still have that close-minded, caveman-era type of thinking towards this topic, but I'm not at all shocked. Good God, folks, vegetarians aren't hurting anyone by abstaining from meat, and omnivores aren't causing you any pain by choosing to have meat and potatoes for dinner. It's not anyone's business to care.

_THE_MASTER_ 0

im not gonna call a vegetarian or vegan a pussy, but i will say that they're idiots. humans evolved as omnivores FOR A REASON. you're going against evolution, nature, and genetics. and your hurting animals by taking away THEIR food. yeah...never thought about THAT, huh? slaughterhouse, quick, and mostly painless...starvation, takes a long time, and sux for that whole time.so, WTG. you're slapping mother nature in the face multiple times... (the starvation bit was sarcasm, so don't anybody get all uppity and call me an idiot or anything. the first part was my true feeling tho. totally going against evolution. shame shame)

That sounds just like something my dad would say. But when i told him i was a vegetarian he just pretended he didnt care and tried to slip meat into my food

1) If you're going to be abusive, I don't think it matters too much whether you call them idiots or *******. 2) Since everything from "your hurting animals" onwards is complete semi-illiterate trash, maybe don't bother putting it in. Also, it'd be YOU'RE hurting animals. Learn some grammar. In reference to the main debate though, there's nothing wrong with vegetarianism. It's a personal choice, and if people are willing to take such dietary supplement as are necessary, then let them. Personally, I just couldn't do it. Love the taste of meat too much :-p

i agree completely. the human race -particularly western civilisation- has become too comfortable in it's lifestyle to tolerate people who believe that killing an animal is equal to killing a human, or worse. animals were meant to be eaten, it's all in the food chain: plants->animals->bigger, less abundant animals->humans.

Girls get their period at around age of 11-13. Does that mean they're meant to be ****** at that age? I don't really understand your "something is meant for something" logic.

Umm you are saying its agains a balance to eat meat. We are part of this balance too you know. we are not machines. We are no better then animals and we can eat meat as much as we want. animals will die anyway. its all is a part of a balance.

Humans also evolved compassion and the intelligence to compile a healthy diet that doesn't include meat. Vegetarianism doesn't seem like any more of an affront to evolution than airplanes to me.

What is wrong with everyone here?! If someone wants to be a vegetarian, that's their choice. **** off and let them live their lives the way they want to. Anyway, this FML was strange. You don't "come out" as a vegetarian- how misleading. You shouldn't have made a big deal of it- being a vegetarian isn't a big deal for anyone but yourself (and also if someone else prepares your food). Still, your dad's really stupid. Being a vegetarian requires a lot of determination and self-control, and is in no way "weak-minded". FYL for having a stupid, meat-addicted dad Still, it's not the best idea. It makes nutrition about 20 times more difficult

tubaguy42 0

TheLittlestNinja: no, fml.com is finite matters ltd, an information management company. this is fmylife.com. and get used to the corrections. if you have shitty grammar and/or can't spell, people WILL correct you.

musu_fml 0

We didn't evolve to use computers and international telecommunications equipment either, but gosh-darn it here we are doing it. We evolved to eat wild fruit and scavange brain matter and bone marrow from the carcasses left behind by predators. Everything beyond that...spears, arrows, cooking, farming...were inventions of man's mind, not nature's selection. Natural selection gave us a brain, one that can be used to go beyond the limitations of a primative body, including changing our dietary choices at will. Thus, vegetarianism, as an extension of the abilities provided by the naturally-evolved brain, is as natural as anything any human does: an animal's natural activities are what they do when left to their own devices...and what humanity has done when left to its own devices is to build computers, aeroplanes, skyscrapers, farms, and move on from hunter-gathering to farming and cattle-raising; all of this is the natural state for human beings at this point in time. I'm vegetarian and I'm not malnourished; I pay attention to what I eat, and I ensure I get just as much protein as any meat-eater (your average cheese contains as much protein per pound as beef, for example). It's not eating the right things that causes them malnourishment; it's not lack of meat. So for anyone who thinks we should eat meat because it's "natural" (thinking that "natural" means "what our animal ancestors did"), then I hope you enjoy your dinner tonight; tucking in to some rotting bone marrow in a fly-swarmed carcass laying in the middle of the savannah.

36 Girls start periods then because in the past they were reproducing at that age.

poopsicle22 0

yes, that's complete bullshit. Even plants need to get nutrients from the soil, and monks can't perform photosynthesis, so they can really have no way of storing the energy they get other than as heat. You should do some more thinking/learning and less believing everything you hear.

dramakat11 0

I don't believe everything I hear which is why I said I don't know if it's complete bs or what, asshole. I just try to keep an open mind. We don't know for a fact that people can't somehow evolve to a level outside of the natural laws we consider immutable. What has always been seems unchangeable, but it only seems so.

actually, by being vegetarian, people don't take food away from other animals. the cattle industry uses up so many resources it's crazy. all the water and grain it takes to feed the cattle. all the oil it takes to transport the cattle. its a lot of waste. here's something you probably don't know. it takes 5-10 lbs of grain to produce 1 lb of meat. so that 1 lb of meat will go to one person, when the 5-10 lbs of grain could go to a whole family that is starving. and that grain has more nutrients than the meat does so it would be healthier for that family. if there were less people eating meat, there would be less world hunger because the grain could be used towards feeding those that need nourishment. also, if you look at the anatomy of a human, such as the teeth, the digestive system, etc., you can see that we were actually meant for an herbivorous lifestyle. we don't have the carnassial complex teeth needed to tear at flesh. we have simple bunodont molars. most members of the carnivora family on the other hand, have those carnassial teeth necessary for tearing flesh. look at the digestive tract of those non-human animals and you see it is more adapt for digesting meat. the digestive tract of humans are more suited for eating plants. so really, being vegetarian does not harm other animals. it actually helps other people and the environment.

skullbuster 0

@TheLittlestNinja : Give it up. I've tried to shoot down these pompous asshats who correct spelling and grammar for no reason other than to exercise their own sense of superiority and it doesn't work. (I am going to post a Fiance/Fiancee FML just to see that argument unfold again, it's like goddamned groundhog day out there). I don't know if it is because we are in the summer months in the U.S. and school is out (repressed English teachers UNITE) or there is some other compulsion that forces people to point out the foibles of others. Annoying, yes - going to change, hell no!

irafinklestein 0

130, in the past not all humans ate meat. 36 didn't have a good argument, but yours isn't strong either

....I love you. That was a beautifully written, scientifically sound, DECENT argument. Will you marry me? We as humans rely too heavily on 'because we've always done it this way' or 'because our ancestors did it like this'. It's that stupid sort of logic that leads to racism ("Well, I don't like black people/Jews/Russians/etc. because my parents don't like them") and other forms of discrimination ("Men are meant to be with WOMEN; it's a genetic fact, so let's go terrorize and marginalize homosexuals because they go AGAINST NATURE"). There's no such thing as going AGAINST NATURE. The natural world and the creatures within it are highly adaptable, which is how humans are now living in Russia when human life originated in the Middle East (or Ethiopia, according to some sources). So if someone doesn't want to eat meat because it goes against their own morals, LET THEM! It's more healthy, in the long run, to abstain from meat than it is to live under the constant stress and guilt you'd get by doing something that feels so essentially WRONG to you.

dramakat11 0

Thank you! I'm sick and ******* tired of people equating "traditional" with "good." How will we ever recognize our mistakes as a human race with that mindset? Keep an open mind. What has always been seems unchangeable, but it only seems so.

dramakat11 0

That's exactly the argument that people used to defend slavery. It's too big a part of our lifestyle and economy! It can still be morally wrong, though. Find a different argument to defend meat-eating.

_THE_MASTER_ 0

ok, 25, first of all, way to get grammar gestapo on me. its called an error for a reason, you tool. secondly, my 'hurting the animals' point was complete sarcasm, as i stated immediately after, so learn to read a full paragraph before you get armed with your retort. and thirdly, yes, humans are omnivores. always have been, and omnivorism will outlast veganism or vegitarianism marginally. and, of course, gfys, eabod, diaf, and stfu...and gth.

_THE_MASTER_ 0

dramakat, or whatever it is...I don't need to DEFEND being an omnivore. i j8ust presented my mindset and reasons for being one. just like people don't need to DEFEND being vegitarians. its just the way they choose to eat. to me, it seems unhealthy. that's all i said. and, honestly, nobody gives a **** about ANYBODY's opinion on here to begin with, so why are you all arguing with my comment? ahhh, the internet...

AssOf2009 0

I love meat, cause every time you eat meat a hippie's tambourine falls in the gutter.

Going against nature? How is using a computer and Internet not going against nature, you ******' hypocrite?

Vegetarians are stoopid. Humanity is top o' the food chain man! Let's exploit that fact 'til we ain't no more!

Where did this party come from? No party was mentioned. I hate it when people make up stuff in FMLs And the OP was just trying to be deceptive by using the phrase "coming out"

You're right, you didn't climb ANYWHERE. Your ancestors did. Oh and please, tell me more about vegetarian meals, since you seem to know oh so much about them, PLEASE.

I tried to be vegitarian.....then chicken nuggets called my name.

no__namer 0

aw that sucks but i still lol'd :p im a vegan from a family that wins rib cook offs every year so i know how you feel :p

Try to be literate, maybe you don't fail at it as miserably as you did at being a vegetarian.

So, you say using computers is not going against nature? GG ='D Do some research about what is done to Earth when it comes to making computers ;)

poopsicle22 0

When you call someone out on a minor spelling or grammatical error, you should make sure your post is free of any such errors.