By pkstarstorm - 14/07/2009 06:58 - United States

Today, I came out to my dad. He called me weak minded and said that he has never been more disappointed in me. I didn't come out as gay. I came out as a vegetarian. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 054
You deserved it 20 079

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

I actually heard that meat provides several vitamins that no other food can so they need to find it's source by a pill. I then also read that the pills do not provide enough of those viatmins and cause most vegetarians to slowly get ill in their lifetime.

male vegetarians are hot. and there is totally nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, thank you.

actually, that's not true. Those vitamins and minerals found in meat get there from that animal's diet, which for most animals commonly eaten by humans consists of plants. Humans can obtain these essentials from non-meat sources as well, it just requires some attention be paid to their diet, especially for vegans. Fermentation and other processes can also help make these vitamins more easily accessible in the food in some cases.

Not true, some nutrients were synthesized in their bodies from the stuff they got from what they eat, and some of these nutrients cannot be synthesized by human bodies.

jahwn 12

To all you pompous assholes who won't let others murder, screw off, you're no better because of who you do or don't kill or are or aren't responsible for killing. It's a matter of personal preference. But if you are one of the good non murderers who don't care whether or not others kill that wasn't for you.

Wow, that's a pretty relevant reply. I guess you showed me... Jackass.

that's where cheese, milk, yogurt, and fermented grains come in handy.

vampirerebel 0

Oh, I so feel for you. I've been a vegetarian for over three years now, and my dad still constantly asks when I am going to come to my senses, and stop being a freak. My father is a total hippie, ponytail and all, but the fact that I would rather not consume animal carcasses makes me a freak. Stay strong, hopefully he'll get over it

If you've ever eaten a meal with your family since you became a vegetarian... how did they not notice? I mean, if your dad is that obsessed with meat, it's probably a big part of most meals.

i really dont see how you can be vegitarian have you never had a good steak?

I agree with your dad. There's nothing young with being gay. It's not even a choice. You choose to be a vegetarian, and unlike the small percentage of people who are only vegetarians because they have to be, your reasons for not eating meat probably come with a side order of smug, and a bit of "holier than thou" for dessert. Or maybe you just believe the propaganda you're fed. Either way, you're unnecessarily depriving yourself of delicious foods. Enjoy your salad!

Even as a vegan orthorexic with amenorrhea, I was never 'malnourished'. I had blood work done more times than I can count and it never showed my iron or b12 levels as being low. The reason I was tired all the time was the 15+ miles I walked every day.. and eventually the mono that showed up in one of the aforementioned blood tests. Also, the whole protein argument is a load of crap, the average North American (omnivore) consumes much more protein than is needed (good luck with the gout). Veg sources of protein= soy (scientists are out on the risk/benefits of soy), walnuts (contain omegas), flax (contains omegas + fibre), other nuts/seeds/legumes and dairy Sources of b12= fortified milk/cereal and nutritional yeast Sources of iron= tons of things Generally speaking, a vegetarian diet is more healthy than an omnivorous one. I did go through a phase when I was vegan when I was pretty much just eating oreos (vegan) and soy milk.

OK, seriously **** you all. It's the OP's choice whether or not to be vegetarian and it IS possible to be healthy and be a vegetarian, just like it's possible to be healthy and be omnivorous. Most people can't even manage to be omnivorous and healthy anyway. So this is basically a debate between personal preferences which is just stupid.

didn't you say you were vegan? how is it that you get nutrients from dairy? I thought that was against your religious belifs. And if i were you, which I am not in any way, I'd be watching out for osteoporosis because you're missing out on your calcium dear. just a little FYI

You're absolutely right, I'd forgotten that you've seen every living vegetarian and tested them for deficiencies! It completely escaped my mind that you were blessed by the heavens with unquestionable omniscient powers of a lifestyle you've never lived. Hey everyone, this guy's got all the answers.

Wrong-o. I have a whole gaggle of vegetarians in my family, all of whom are completely healthy. LOL, #113, I was just thinking that myself.

skullbuster 0

Another example of someone who presents a seemingly rational response but is in fact completely off their nut! 15+ mile walks, frequent blood work, veganism, Oreos and soy milk, ech gads!! Don't run from those men in the white coats when they try to escort you to your private room, the padding on the walls is for your own protection!

Wow, you must really be dense, huh? You do realize that hundreds (probably thousands) of small animals are killed each year during the processing of grains and vegetables, most of them killed in horrible ways like getting ran over by trucks or other equipment, or processed through a combine. Stop acting so righteous about it. Until you grow your own food and get rid of anything with animal products (such as leather), animals die for your lifestyle too.

musu_fml 0

Those animals aren't killed intentionally. They're still killed, yes, but it's not our intention to kill them. It's the difference between accidentally stepping on an ant and intentionally burning one with a magnifying glass. If you can't see a difference, then you've got deeper problems than can be solved with an argument over the internet.

Umm, im pretty sure combines have brakes, so they dont hit animals...

Thanks, you're the 1st person who has said that to me. There ARE non-dairy sources of calcium, fyi. And strength training goes a lot further in the way of preventing osteoporosis than drinking milk, again fyi. Also, I said "Veg sources", I didn't specify that I was talking about nutrient sources for vegans. Dick.

I was saying that I had a problem. Some do use vegetarianism to cover up eating disorders. WITH THAT BEING SAID... you can EASILY lead a healthy lifestyle while abstaining from meat consumption. Dick.

so thats what i get for being civil on a site where discutions rapidly detereorate into back and forth name calling I guess i deserve it for thinking that there were more than just biggots on this site shame on me