By Anonymous - 06/09/2009 07:25 - Japan

Today, I broke up with the girl I'd been dating for two months because she started smoking. This is a deal breaker for me. I just found out from her friend that she started smoking for the sole purpose of getting me to break it off and now plans to quit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 618
You deserved it 7 886

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You got OWNED!! Then again, clearly she's a jackass if she's willing to threaten her (and your) health like that.

I can't decide whether this is funny or sad. I'm leaning towards funny though. Go find someone better.

Comments

okay, he's not being a control freak for dropping a girl who started smoking. There are ton of reasons to have the standard of no smoking in a relationship. there are plenty of guys id like to get with, but can't because I am half allergic to the damn stuff. He's not the only one who doesn't want that shit around. I'da dropped her ass too.

You make it sound like finding a girl who doesn't smoke is as impossible as finding a perfect girl. And I would never date a guy who smokes because I don't want to risk getting lung cancer and having my clothes and house stink of smoke. I don't think it's "shallow" to have standards like that.

Wow, really? Shit, I'd dump someone if they started smoking. It's a disgusting habit and I don't need my clothes, car, or home to smell like ass. As for your note of it being the 21st century - you bet it is. We know now that smoking does all kinds of terrible things to your body, so why would you be stupid enough to start the habit?

80sFrountChick 0

Wow... People who read FML's are mean! Just because she wanted to break up with him, it doesn't necessarily follow that he was a shitty boyfriend.

Agree with #93. This is more typical female passive-aggressive behavior. She was looking for an easy way out of that relationship. She was too gutless to just break it off. She didn't want to deal with the guilt so she used his aversion to smoking as a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

And what is the deal with all this harassment and persecution to smokers? Are we being crucified because every time we lit a cigarette we kill someone? Are we assassins? Some non-smokers sure are treating us like that. Including you, OP. You didn't like her just as she was. Why should she wanna be with you? If the choice to smoke is more important to you than her, then you don't deserve her. Let's hope someone else doesn't UNDERVALUE you for nonsense like that. (sorry for grammar, non-english speaker)

F*ck off you pretentious sh*t, if that's your deal breaker, imagine the flaws she found in you

Woahh. Good thing you got out of that one. What sane person starts smoking to get there boyfriend to break up with them...? But, really how is this an fml :|

CheshireHalli 19

I have a feeling if a girl held this standard and the guy did this, everyone would be "ZOMG!!!11!! I can't believe he did that!!!!!11!!1" But no, you're downing him. Jeez, it's fine for people to smoke, but it's not a choice I want to make. I would rather my fiance not do it, but I wouldn't leave him for it. Guys, they more than likely had no deep connection at TWO MONTHS! He has all right not to not want his gf to smoke, and he did warn her, she blatantly did it to get him to leave her (to presumably make HIM the bad guy). And before you call me sexist, I am a girl. I hate the things my gender does sometimes. It was not fair for her to do that. She should get the nerve to break up with him, not make him do it. That's just my two cents worth.

I don't think you realize how much of an ignorant, naive, cretinous sacrum you sound like. They're childern, they were dating for two months. The first three - four months are like a buffer period where you decide if you wanna stay with a person, they don't really count towards anything. They weren't in love, she wasn't the MOST PERFEECT GIRL IN THE WORLD, who was smart beautiful and talented. She was a girl, they were dating, he didn't like smoking, she knew that. Therefore, she was rude for smoking KNOWING (not being ignorant like you ******) that he didnt like it and did it anyway. With her disregard for his feelings is reason alone to break up witrh a girl after two months. Doesn't even matter she picked up a disgusting habit. oh, did i mention you're a ******? Fgot