Sweet relief

By Anonymous - 17/06/2016 03:00

Today, I broke up with my girlfriend. She was ecstatic. Apparently, she'd been trying to figure out how to break up with me for the past four months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 610
You deserved it 1 560

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It sounds like two self-aware people who both recognized this wasn't a good match. Win-win for everyone.

Eh, easy break up then. I guess it kind of sucks to find out she hasn't wanted you for that long, but at least your split won't be a drawn-out process.

Comments

Why is this a FML? Would you have preferred more emotion? Be happy that she won't be pining after you long after you two broke it off. You're both free, congrats.

#1: They were upset that their girlfriend didn't want to stay together

Eh, easy break up then. I guess it kind of sucks to find out she hasn't wanted you for that long, but at least your split won't be a drawn-out process.

This really sucks I hope you can find someone better OP.

It was a mutual breakup. So thats what he was intending to do.

species4872 19

I hope she wasn't afraid of what you would do but rather that she didn't want to hurt you. If so, then good for her, a rare and valuable trait.

As honorable as this sounds, in the end it is actually more harmful to lead someone on, and draw a break up out longer than need be. What if OP haven't decided to break up, and fell more in love with her? He would have been even more heartbroken. How long would the GF have kept up the ruse? Till after an awkward proposal? A sham marriage? It is so much better to just do it, like ripping off a bandaid. Maybe noble intentions, but foolish.

#14 - Sometimes situations are more complex than that...

I'm not talking about more complex situations. I'm talking about her not wanting to hurt OP's feelings.

It sounds like two self-aware people who both recognized this wasn't a good match. Win-win for everyone.

So now you know--always say that when someone breaks up with you. Seriously, the more break-ups you have, the closer you are to finding the right person.

It's good that she was taking the time to find a way to break up with you and trying to avoid hurting your feelings.

polsen4273 8

There were no good intentions there, just someone too lazy and selfish to be honest

Really? So she was too lazy to stay in a relationship? That makes no sense, especially if she was trying to find a way to breakup with him then she was neither selfish or lazy. Just trying to find the best way to do it so no one would get hurt.

If there's one thing television has taught us, it's that the go-to strategy for breaking up with somebody lightly is to slowly disappoint them over a long period of time until they eventually decide to break up with you—oh, no, OP! That's… I'm /sure/ that's not what happened to you!