By bels12 - 05/01/2010 05:15 - Australia

Today, I bought a new Siamese Fighting Fish. I was so happy with my new fish so I bought him an expensive lovely bowl, some weeds, and a toy for the bowl. I left the room to get the fish food. When I returned, the fish was gone, and the cat was sitting on the table. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 909
You deserved it 9 337

Same thing different taste

Top comments

MissSmiley613, a lot of fish can live ten, twenty years if kept right. Right PH, right temperature, right feeding, right cleaning regime, right environment/amount of the same species/etc. The fact that you think they don't last long is evidence to your poor ownership of fish. until you learn to look after pets right, don't buy them. OP. Well. That was pretty stupid, wasn't it? YDI.

Comments

You kept a tropical fish in a bowl? I'm guessing that was cold water, and no filter? Mate that was gonna die pretty quickly anyway XD

You kept a tropical fish in a bowl? I'm guessing that was cold water, and no filter? Mate that was gonna die pretty quickly anyway XD

Siamese Fighting Fish (aka Bettas) aren't tropical. They only require a fairly small amount of stagnant fresh water and a few weeds, like the OP had. In other news, definitely FYL, OP. My pet rat caught and ate my Betta. Don't ask me how.

KaylaKiwified 0

Actually, bettas ARE tropical. They do best in waters around 78-82 degrees, and originate from Thailand. Also they live in rice patties that, while not very deep, are HUGE. Bettas, like all fish, do much better in large, heated, and filtered tanks. When they are given the right home, they can be much, much prettier than they are when seen in pet stores. They are, unfortunately, very misunderstood fish. I also know plenty of bettas that have lived to be over five years, only slowing down at the very end. Also, I think someone said they're only 3 bucks...? Those are veiltails, the most common of bettas. Some bettas, like Halfmoons, can be sold for 15 dollars, and are found at most petstores carrying bettas. Bettas found online, however, can run up to 100 dollars, sometimes more. Bettas should, at all times, have some type of covering over their tank, as they can learn to jump out of their tanks/bowls, for a number of different reasons. And then, with the cat...? OP, you deserved this so much I can't even understand why you thought to post this. While losing a pet that you love can be a harsh blow, from what I see, you didn't know squat about it (like many on here), and it wouldn't have lived long anyways. Do the species a favor and DON'T buy another one. Or if you do decide to get another one, do a little research. Research is a MUST for all pets bought, fish or not. Sorry, but YDI.

MermaidSongXOXO 6

OP, I have some pics from the horrific incident :( Before: http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/tarab96/aaaa.jpg After: http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/tarab96/aaa2.jpg

f the fishe's life not f the op's life.

Shouldn't have left it were your cat can get it.

I guess it didn't put up much of a fight.

sparxva 12

You must really love the cat to feed it expensive fresh food like that. D'oh!

bibbit 0

ydi for keeping a fish in a bowl

Damn straight #69. Would have been bad enough if it was "bought him a lovely new tank". Gonna cultivate that filter for the fish any time soon? Nope? Alright, fine, it's your fish...

ummm people have been talking about how betta fish need 30L, 12.5L, etc of water....bettas normally live in a tank that is about 1L maybe less, with no filter or anything, annnd yeah you spent all that money on that nice stuff OP but luckily the fish wasn't, so go get another one for a few bucks.

"bettas normally live in a tank that is about 1L maybe less, with no filter or anything" -- normally, you mean in the wild? OP, I assume since you know nothing about bettas, you bought a cheap one for a few bucks. Buy another one with the money you saved on cat food today.

TheKeeder 0

why the hell would you buy a fish AND a cat! i used to have a fish, but when i got a cat, i gave the fish to my cousin... WTF