By bels12 - 05/01/2010 05:15 - Australia

Today, I bought a new Siamese Fighting Fish. I was so happy with my new fish so I bought him an expensive lovely bowl, some weeds, and a toy for the bowl. I left the room to get the fish food. When I returned, the fish was gone, and the cat was sitting on the table. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 909
You deserved it 9 337

Same thing different taste

Top comments

MissSmiley613, a lot of fish can live ten, twenty years if kept right. Right PH, right temperature, right feeding, right cleaning regime, right environment/amount of the same species/etc. The fact that you think they don't last long is evidence to your poor ownership of fish. until you learn to look after pets right, don't buy them. OP. Well. That was pretty stupid, wasn't it? YDI.

Comments

SailorButterfly 8

Aren't those fish only like $3? Yeah, it sucks...but you can pick up another fish and not have all that stuff go to waste. Just be sure to get everything out of reach of kitty this time. LOL I've been wanting to get a betta for a while now, but I can't figure out where I'd put him where the cats couldn't get to him. :-/ And to everyone talking about lifespans of fish...some fish do live a long time, but NOT bettas. You'd be lucky to have one live 5 years even if you take great care of it.

I have owned plenty of Siamese Fighting Fish because the one I got, a $7 dollar Crowntail, had a disease that I didn't know about. He infected the tank and killed most of the fish, including two or three other bettas over the course of my finally realizing the problem with the tank. If you get a nicer breed of fish, you can have a betta that costs up to $70. While I don't feel this is the case, it's sincerely upsetting when there's a death with a fish and something you're excited about. If you get a tank, like..a 5 gallon or even a 2 gallon, you can stick a betta in with a filter and light on top, which means that they're completely enclosed and unless your cat knocked the tank over (which is hard to do because the tanks are heavy). Hopefully you get a fish. :) Because they're nice to have. I have a 10 gallon with a few other fish and he's done nicely. But yeah...if you're looking for a fish with a decent lifespan, it's not a betta. But even so, three years is a long time. FIVE years is a long time. Think about how long that is for a fish. You don't connect that much with a fish as you do a cat or a dog or a horse, etc. I've already lost my first fish (and my favorite), so I'm not worried about 'in the future' when James T. Kirk kicks it. I'll just get a Spock.

jklol21810 0

I've had four bettas, and the SHORTEST life one of them had was 3 years. I had my first one for almost 7. and he only died because I left for college and my mom forgot to feed him. they can live forever. they are some of the heartiest fish you can buy at a regular petstore.

skyeyez9 24

My grandma had a betta fish. It lived to be 11.

skyeyez9 24

Maybe keep the next fish in a room where your cat isn't allowed access if possible. Bedroom, spare bedroom, or buy a 10 gallon fishtank with a wire mesh lid that are used for reptiles and rodents.

jazzmancarron 11

kitty, meet cast iron frying pan. :-)

L33tSauce 0

Horde= ftw. And OP..Sorry about your fish, def cover the tank/bowl next time. For everyone saying fish dont live long, my mother-in-law has a pair of goldfish from walmart that are about 9 years now and still seem pretty healthy.

what kind of dumb idiot goes to a fish store and buys a fish and ALL of the supplies except food?

you're just jealous because i am way sexier than you.

Seriously.... You bought a fish, you didn't get a bowl that can protect it, and you have a CAT??? That is a failure on a CARTOON level! How much more of a failure can one be??. YDI!