By Anonymous - 14/04/2013 14:22 - United States - Big Lake

Today, I asked my grandmother to hem my prom dress for me. I'm her oldest granddaughter so I thought she'd be happy to do it. She said no. Her occupation is a seamstress. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 251
You deserved it 7 996

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nattynatters 14

Some people feel used when family asks them for free labor. Maybe you should have offered to do something nice in return?

rahulcool7 14

I don't think it is that common to know how to hem a dress.

Comments

I understand how you must feel, but I can understand your grandmother. Some people don't like to do their job when they are outside of work. I am the same way. If you want something from me, pay for it like everyone else.

YDI! WHY do you assume she should want it?! That shit is really boring and takes quite a lot of time! People just assume that when you're "professional" that everything takes like 15 minutes! Prom dresses can be tricky to do because of many reasons, take time, and she already does that for a job + people that work with cloths often already have a lot to do and get little paid for it + get customers all day that expect them to do everything with the impression that it takes no time. She probably has her own stuff to do!

She's under no obligation to do work for you--work that she does for a good price, I'm sure. Many people with skills like this constantly have family members assume that they will perform their professional service for free. So hire her. Pay her.

crazytwinsmom 25

She may have been offended by your assumption. Although she could have offered before being asked, if she knew you needed it.

jxcala 10

Ha. That's what you get for assuming.

Why are people selecting YDI so much? First of all, if she just wants the dress hemmed, it's not that big a deal. She doesn't want her grandmother to create an entirely new dress, she's just asking for it to be hemmed. Hemming a dress doesn't actually take a lot of time, especially if you know what you're doing, which the grandmother clearly does.

The YDI comes from OP assuming that Grandma has nothing better to do than hem a dress-for free, no less. Like the pithy phrase on my favorite coffee cup says: "Let me just drop everything and work on YOUR problem!" Perhaps if she had actually asked, and offered to pay, Grandma might have come through with "That's ok honey, just bring me the dress."

Hemming a dress like that actually does take quite a bit of time and effort.

3rdbass 9

You went about it the wrong way. You could offer to play bingo with her. Problem Solved.