By Anonymous - 14/08/2015 15:08 - Denmark

Today, at my grandmother's funeral, my senile grandfather kept asking me "Where's granny? I've been looking for her, but I can't find her." FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 606
You deserved it 1 660

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How are you even supposed to answer that? Like you have to keep breaking terrible news. I'm so sorry OP, FYL

So sorry for your loss OP, hopefully you'll come up something on how to tell your grandfather.

Comments

Andrew1251 1

Well would actually click "you deserved it" on this. I understand trolling but that is just ******.

Aww I'm so sorry. My grandmother is the same way sadly. My grandfather passed last July and she still asks where he is and tells us about things he did "yesterday". Its a very sad situation.

That's terrible, I'm sorry for your family's loss OP.

So sorry for your loss OP this is really heartbreaking :( and to all the nut jobs who voted YDI, what did OP ever do to you? Stole your charger and plugged it in horse's butt?

Sounds like he's spent. Should've grabbed the shovel and made it a 2 for 1 funeral.

smarti1809 12

That's so sad, I'm sorry for your loss and his OP :(

To be the devil's advocate, depending on his memory span, and what time his mind is stuck in, it might be one of the least traumatic solutions to tell him that "she had to go visit family far away, but she misses you, and loves you very much." Depending on what you believe, you could also say that she will come to get him when it is time. To those going to snarl at me about lying- I had a family member who was in the terminal stage of Alzheimer's. She thought that those of us around her were friends and family from when she was 7-12. For a few days that we were visiting, she asked, "Where's pappy?" The first few times, her daughter and son in law- my biological uncle- explained the whole situation to her- that she was 87, not 8, that her parents were gone, that it was 2012, not 1933- and each time she would have a meltdown, crying, shaking, hitting things and herself until she exhausted herself into sleep. The fourth day, her other daughter told her that "pappy went out of town," and wouldn't be back for a few days, and left her with us until he got back. No meltdown, no crying, and she didn't remember long enough to pick up on the lie. So, yes, it is morally dubious, but it is less traumatic for both the individual and the family. Don't judge until you've been in the situation.