By goingnowherefast - 09/02/2013 00:19 - United States - Butler

Today, after three and a half years of working dead-end jobs with a bachelor's degree, I got a call from a potential employer in my degree field, who wanted to set up an interview. The problem: the interview is across the country, and I'm too broke to pay the travel expenses. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 754
You deserved it 2 584

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Capt_Oblivious 10

Skype interview. Much cheaper.

Comments

He should call back and ask if a phone or skype interview would suffice.

RedPillSucks 31

That's actually a good idea as long as he explains why. Some employers will even pay some of the travel cost

Aw, hang in there you'll get things figured out. You have to start somewhere in order to get somewhere. Best wishes!

JocelynKaulitz 28

All I can say is: "Run Forrest, Run!!"

I suppose that if they really desired your services, then they would at least opt to shoulder (some of) the travel expenses. My company flew me all the way to Korea; hopefully, they can accommodate you. As for the interview, like everyone else said, phone or Skype, if they prefer. Mine was done over the phone.

AbstraktThoughts 13

That's not even funny op :(( I actually feel bad for you! Well hopefully if its a large firm or company, they can do a video/phone interview or even have one of their associates interview you instead of making you travel far! Good luck! :)

oj101 33

OP could ask his parents to buy his flights, and promise to pay them back if he gets the job.

I was going to say something like this, but I was going to add a 'call and explain' type deal haha

Sorry OP! Jobs are hard to come by now. Keep up the hard work!

Capt_Oblivious 10

Skype interview. Much cheaper.

I don't see why the employer would even want this person to travel around the country for an interview, she's not even hired yet

KiddNYC1O 20

Lmao^. Uhh, that's the point of the interview.

Find out if you can borrow some money from a friend or family member, perhaps? Sorry man, I hope everything goes well.

klovemachine 24

I hope that somebody can help you out with the expenses, and if you are successful in getting the job, you can pay them back.

I hope it works out for you, OP. No one likes being in that situation. I hope they help you out with travel expenses.

JR_Goes_Rawr 11

Might as well start walking now. If you make it not only will you have that job opportunity, but some really toned legs as well.

Scooby4201 4
Lant 6

YDI for picking a shitty degree. I can tell just from the fact that u cant get a job for that long that it was probably a degree in philosphy or art

Actually with the way the economy is now, it is very difficult to find a job, even with a degree, no matter how much "clout" their chosen degree has.

#11, you sounds like an absolutely delightful person.

Well aren't you just ridiculously ignorant. Jobs, these days, aren't easy to come by, no matter what degree you have. In fact, in many situations, people with many GOOD degrees don't get hired, because the better your degree is, the higher your pay is supposed to be. So basically, people with a super good degree cost more money, which is why people with a not so super good degree are preferred by a lot of employers. That and... You know, our economy is kind of shitty right now anyway, so there aren't all that many jobs available at all.

I think the distinction to be made between a "good" and a "bad" degree is here not based on how advanced your studies have been and how high a salary your education warrants, but rather what field you studied in and how the chances are of you getting a job in said field. English literature, for example, is a field where you simply won't get a job for quite a few years, because you have about 5-10 times as many people graduating each year as there are new job openings. Geophysics, on the other hand, is a great field because really few people study it, yet almost every country in the world has their own facilities of it and several companies are interested in geophysicists, because they need someone to efficiently check the ground for ressources. Now add the fact that about as many people graduate each year as there are new job openings and it's suddenly very easy to get a job in this field.

CharresBarkrey 15

I would love to know how one majors in "philosphy," and what exactly that entails. I guess we know 11 isn't majoring in English.

I just graduated in May from a science and engineering school, and our employment rate is still over 90%, because we have useful degrees. Some degrees have virtually 0% unemployment, even now. So your degree can have a big impact on your employment.

I have an arts degree and have been turning down 3 jobs offered to me in the last week alone. Instead of worrying about other people's "shitty degrees" you might want to contemplate your shitty attitude.

Witg regards to unemployment, Petroleum engineering FTW.

...this thread is too long for me to read. Keep it simple. 11 is an ignorant asshole who is probably jobless. Easy (: