By EvilMother - 14/09/2012 00:57 - United States - Hinsdale

Today, after having a long talk with my mother about LGBT rights, she told me that she was totally open. I felt completely relieved, being gay myself. Seconds later, she said, "But not for you. I want you to find me a nice girl that can give me lots of grandkids." FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 048
You deserved it 5 236

Same thing different taste

Top comments

She can't control your adult life. OP, go find a nice guy and maybe adopt kids?

Don't be afraid to let her know that's not going to happen. She's your mother, so all she really wants is for you to be happy, and if you could convince her to be open with gays, than you could convince her to be open with adopted grandchildren as well.

Comments

I wonder which she'd prefer - you being gay and wanting and adopting kids or being straight but never wanting kids anyway?

She could be joking. And anyway, there's always adoption. It's not the same, but she might be okay with it

She's not as open-minded as she wants to be thought of then...

This is what I worry about when/if I come out to my parents. Oh well, if they want grand kids, they still have my brother. OP, I think you should still tell her, though. She's most likely going to find out later in your life anyway, so it's best to tell her now rather than later.

60, if you haven't yet, it might help to come out to your close friends and brother first to create a support system. Then you will have more confidence when/if you come out to your parents. I'm sure your parents will love you regardless :) good luck.

47- I expect you to accept the english lesson you'll get here except I'm sure you won't get it.

I say that about my son, but in all honestly he can love whoever makes him happy. If your mother loves you shel feel the same.

That must be a pain, but at least it's a better start than "All gays should be shot. I'd never tolerate one in my house" Sounds like you need to carry on working on her but it also sounds like she will come round in the end. Good luck!

perdix 29

You can always adopt, but convince your mom that quality is better than quantity. My aunt has 12 grand kids, but my mom only has one -- but she is spectacular!