By cat-astrophic - 25/02/2015 15:44 - United Kingdom

Today, after 3 years of studying to be a veterinarian, I found out I may not be able to continue. It's not because I'm failing my classes, but because my body has developed an allergy to cats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 090
You deserved it 2 851

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe change to being a large animal vet, then you can take care of horses and not worry about your allergies!! :)

You know you can get desensitised. It takes up to three years to finish the course and the first year has 21 weekly vaccine injections but it usually does the trick. Speak to your GP about referring you to an allergists. But in saying that depending on how bad your allergies are you may need to defer your studies for the first year so the allergen injections can start working their magic. Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Comments

Once I read the name of this one, I knew it was going to be great

I'm pretty sure you don't "develop" allergies...They're usually inherent. Then again, I'm hardly an expert. In any case, there are always ways around it. Allergy meds, or specializing in other animals, for example.

I think it's possible to develop allergies. It's likely that there was a genetic 'vulnerability' for it, but a certain environment triggered the allergy. My sister turned allergic to something commonly used in the medical environment (no clue what it is though) while being in the hospital.

aliciagentry 8

a lot of vets specialize in one kind of animal...like rabbits or horses...you could still be a vet and not work with cats ☺

Shots. You can be on meds and still do it. Try as much as you can to curb the reaction before giving up.

Oh op! I went to a 3 year culinary school to become a baker/pastry chef and three months before graduation it turns out I'm allergic to flour. Not as in gluten, but as in huge rashes all over my arms and face when I'm baking. So I specialised in chocolate for now and am thinking about studying nutrition, I hope you're able to do the same! Best of luck op!

Specialise in other animal types.. There's a vet near me that specialises in rabbits and axolotls (weird combo!)

SilvShadowSpark 7

I was going to suggest you swap your field to herpetology, and become a reptile vet, but #4 beat me to it. Snakes are fun to take care of. And I should know, I have 7.

I am a vet tech and allergic to cats. if you really want to be a vet, there are ways around it. you can work in a dog's only clibic, you can work in large animal, your best friend may become antihistamines...