Summer vibes

By milksquad - 17/07/2017 14:11

Today, my roommates adopted two kittens without consulting me. We're not allowed to have pets in our apartment and I'm severely allergic to cats. Oh well, it's not like I needed to be able to breathe this summer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 299
You deserved it 341

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should rat out your roommates to people who can do something about it, as opposed to a bunch of sarcastic commenters. Here’s a partial list: 2) The shelter they adopted the kittens from. Tell them your roommates lied about the permission to have pets. 1) Drum roll, please... your landlord.

I think you missed the part where OP said she is severely allergic to cats. No, I actually don't think you did, you just wrote a dumb comment for whatever reason. Here's an idea, if you're allergic to anything-eat it or be around that said something and come back so someone can tell you to "suck it up."

Comments

You should rat out your roommates to people who can do something about it, as opposed to a bunch of sarcastic commenters. Here’s a partial list: 2) The shelter they adopted the kittens from. Tell them your roommates lied about the permission to have pets. 1) Drum roll, please... your landlord.

milksquad 11

They got the kittens free from some random dude on Craigslist. What would telling my landlady accomplish? I don't exactly have experience with this sort of thing, but as I understand, it would just stir up trouble. My roommates would probably get fined, which they can't afford, or kicked out, which would suck for them and the cats. Our lease is up at the end of July so I've decided to suck it up and pop Claritin like fruit snacks until I can leave. I can put up with a little itchy eyes and intense sneezing fits if it means not making them homeless. I guess I just posted on here because I needed to complain somewhat anonymously, haha.

Lobby_Bee 17

But... but... but they are kittens! You can start investing in some scuba gear.

milksquad 11

They've gotten in the habit of running to me every time I start eating spaghetti and crawling on me until I give them some. They're so worth it.

ed_1505 6

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I think you missed the part where OP said she is severely allergic to cats. No, I actually don't think you did, you just wrote a dumb comment for whatever reason. Here's an idea, if you're allergic to anything-eat it or be around that said something and come back so someone can tell you to "suck it up."

When landlords and apartment complex managers make rules that don't allow pets, they usually make them for a reason, and whether you like it or not, you have to obey it if you want to continue living there. Also, only an idiot would tell somebody who's having an allergic reaction to suck it up. If it gets to a point where their breathing if affected, it can be very serious.

milksquad 11

THANK YOU. I've been spending a lot of time in my room (where the kittens aren't allowed) so it hasn't been too awful, but if I spend more than an hour or so in the living room where they like to hang out then it gets pretty nasty. I'm sure my landlady has good reasons for not allowing pets (we've already dealt with fleas once this summer), but unless I was at risk of dying or something, I'd never rat them out unless I had assurance that the cats would be safe. Thankfully our lease is up soon and I'm moving to a blessedly cat-free residence hall.

jonee516 7
middlenamefrank 8

You're actually allergic to the dander created by cats' skin. If you keep the place VERY clean, as in vacuuming everything (especially the furniture) regularly, washing down the walls, etc., you should be fine...generally cats keep themselves clean enough to not bother allergic people. I'd suggest making the roommates do the cleaning, frequently and deeply.

Yes, because spending your day cleaning everything in the house so you don't have an allergic reaction every single day all day is so totally what the OP wants. OP is severely allergic, meaning just cleaning could set off a reaction from any of the dander flying around. I would know, because I'm allergic to cats too.

milksquad 11

Unfortunately, "cleaning" is not in my roommates' vocabulary. They're either drunk or high at any given point and every surface in the house is covered in some manner of mess. At first I tried cleaning everything myself, but it was an uphill battle. Now I've just learned to accept the mess. Sneezing every ten seconds is an okay trade-off to get to see those kittens' cute little faces, though.

Tell your landlord. You don't want to be liable for any damages.

If you aren't allowed to have pets, I'd file a complaint with management and say your roommates brought the cats in, plus you're allergic.

You need to talk to your landlord immediately. I would also recommend getting a doctor's note or your medical records to prove you have a severe allergy so your landlord knows that you are not joking about the seriousness of the situation. If you have severe allergies, those cats could pose severe problems for your health. I'm sure you can replace your roommate. You can't replace your health.

Get new roommates, they're ass holes.