Thanks, I guess…

By Gabrielguitar - 25/04/2009 14:23 - United States

Today, it was my birthday and everyone in the office chipped in to buy me a card, and nothing but a card. It had a pre-written message on it and a space to write "Love, *insert name*" where everyone signed their names. The "Love" was crossed out and replaced with "From". FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 884
You deserved it 5 311

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Thoams_fml 0

they may have actually been trying to be respectful to the people who were signing it and/or complying with company policies

Haha some idiot went out and bought the card. Then the person who was actually behind it freaked and probably had to fix it.

Comments

Not really FYL; more like corporate policy run amok. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has sued for sexual harassment over a card that has "Love" on it.

Loe_307 0

Hell at least your co workers cared enough to get you anything. Your B-day isn't an entitlement to getting gifts.

_mcs_ 0

Whoever bought the card should have at least got a more appropriate one -_-

That's not an FML. "and nothing but a card." WHAT ELSE do you expect to get from co-workers, money? It's the thought that counts. And it would be awkward if people you're not close with signed with Love.

snoozeuloose 0

they didn't have to get you anything. be happy that they remembered and got you a card atleast.

at least they remembered your birthday, and got you a card...

tdawgheath 0

did you...expect to get anything important at work?...??? And company policy probably is the reason for removing love...not that much of a deal At least they signed the card to acknowledge that it was your birthday... Seriously, how is this an FML?

Omg your life is like so horrible. The nerve of some people remembering your birthday, getting you a card, and having everyone sign it. Do you even think before you speak or in this case type?

Without knowing the policies at your company no one can say anything about it. The writing "from" instead of "love" thing is, as others pointed out, pretty normal since "Love" is a bit too intimate for most corporate settings. If your coworkers spend a lot more effort and/or money for everyone else, or if you are rather close with everyone in your office, then you have a reason to be upset. Otherwise, you don't. Be happy they remembered your birthday - in my office birthdays aren't celebrated at all.

Is that unusual? It seems like a pretty standard office thing to give cards. It's not the Office with a party planning committee and cakes and whatnot at most businesses. At least they remembered your birthday. And of course they can't say "love."