Sweltering

By Anonymous - 11/05/2013 21:58 - United States - Reno

Today, my grandpa moved into the house to live with my family. Along with having to share a room with him, he swears that having the AC on will give him pneumonia, and he keeps saying he's "freezing" when the temperature inside gets below 85. We live in Nevada. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 791
You deserved it 3 529

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's not how families work. Discussion, reason, and compromises are all myths.

Comments

I dont understand why people think air conditioner gives you pneumonia...

because AC mostly just takes the air from the room, cools it and releases it back out - there's no exchange of air. this results in rapid growth of bacteria. ever heard of legionellosis? although it's mostly applicable in situations with larger AC systems (e.g. in office buildings). anyway, people that insist that AC may give them pneumonia have at least some ground to stand on (although most of them have other, invalid reasoning).

Well, i didnt just mean air condition machines... i dont know if it's a Miami/Hispanic thing but even fans are blamed for causing illnesses. I mean, sure you have the scenario that you stated, but it's better than being in a hot and humid area where bacteria grows even faster.

And I thought house air systems worked differently because of the external portions they have. I dont know know how they work honestly but I just know unless there is bacteria or a virus around, you cant really get sick. My grandma is convinced that being in air will get you immediately sick

that's probably just because people generally associate getting cold with getting sick, and lowering (even to a completely comfortable, warm level) the room temperature with an air conditioner/directing a stream of cool air from the fan at yourself = getting cold(er). illogical and simple :)

CharresBarkrey 15

Thank you, this drives me crazy. You can't get sick from cold weather. Just being cold will not GIVE you a cold.

Some don't realise that one reason that people get colds/the flu in Winter (and also in Summer) is because it's too cold/hot to be outdoors. Many stay inside where germs are easier to contact from one another because of being in closer proximity. Therefore they associate it with going from hot to cold.

I was under the impression that being considerably cold puts stress on the body causing your immune system to be less effective. The weaker your system is, the bigger the impact. So, while being cold doesn't directly make you sick, it can contribute. Of course, I could be wrong. I'm certainly no expert on the subject.

I thought that what really gave you a cold was an instant change in temperature around you! When it gets from too hot to considerably colder!

However having a great difference between outside temperature and inside temperature is bad for you. If it's 100 outside it shouldn't be less than 90 or 85 inside. I've lived without AC for 25 years and if you just have some good sense gestures (good insulation, closing and opening windows at certain times of the day and night...) it's manageable in Spain, Kentucky, Mexico city...

Bacteria and viruses usually need a droplet of water or mucus to travel through the air and infect someone. So it stands to reason air conditioners and fans can get you sick by blowing any water droplets that end up in the air flying right at you. Being cold can make you sick, but only as a trigger or contributing factor. The body puts so much energy into running at a consistent temperature for a reason. This is the temperature that the enzymes that keep everything working are the most efficient. So when your cold your body expends a lot of energy to try to warm up, creating stress, while lowering enzyme efficiency. This allows the fast breeding/mutating pathogen to form a strong enough colony to disrupt the body. Being a little chilly won't do anything though, you do have to be colder by at least a couple degrees.

Respect your elders! Someday you'll be the one farting uncontrollably and blaming it on the dog.

baileymariee 10

He could always dress warmer. Maybe try and compromise with him even if he is being difficult.

Buy him a sweater and a lap blanket. Have your parents explain to Grandpa that air conditioning is a given. He's been used to living life his way and now he's lost some independence. If you meet him halfway, you might even find that you actually get along . I gave up my bedroom for a year to my grandfather when I was 16. It wasn't easy, but when he died a few years later, I was glad we had spent that time together.

pastispast 7

well cherish these moments with grandpa he won't be there forever.

Never have I felt more like an old person... If it's colder than 80, it's sweater weather.

Pfft. 40 degrees is decent shorts and t shirt weather. You want cold go to Minnesota or further north.

deepunder 17

Im in MN and i like it between 40 and 60(F)! Over that and its to hot to go outside, unless swimming is the reason.

#55- Minnesota? Cold? Have you ever been to MN in the summer? Are you familiar with the term Swamp Ass? We've got a lot of lakes here and they keep it as steamy as a sauna in the summer time. AFTER winter, 40-50°F is driving down the road, windows rolled down, and T-shirt weather. It's when you're used to high 90s and the temperature drops to 40° overnight...that sucks a bag of d!cks. PS. Somehow my phone freaked out and decided to tap 'validate' rather than the spacebar, on which my thumb was placed. Bravo. Sorry, pals.

Invest in some blankets, Elderly people get cold!

i feel ya bro. it is super hot here

ohhhhhhhhhyeah 8

That's gotta suck..by him a ton of blankets and crank that shit down!!!