Still not calling it X

By twitterfailsme - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - Israel - Rishon Le Zion

Today, I googled myself in preparation for my upcoming job interview. Turns out there's a girl on Twitter with my name and age who tweets nonstop about getting wasted and being on probation. She won't make her profile private. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 496
You deserved it 3 652

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Any employer that's dumb enough to think there's only one person in the world with your name is an employer you don't want to work for anyway.

Black0ut247 5

I'm sure you could explain the situation to employers

Comments

It's ok... People aren't dumb... They will understand!!! Behatzlaha!!! (good luck in hebrew)

Go by your first and middle name only.

Employers shouldn't be googling you anyway, what you do on your own time has nothing to do with them and it'll be pretty obvious if you're able to do the job or not from your resume. I dread to think what'll happen to me when I look for a job in my field of training and when they google me, nothing will come up.

I agree #39. I really hate it when an employer chooses to use things like social media to determine if you're a fit for the company regardless if you're qualified for the job. Some employers don't hire because of the images they see about the candidate, even images that are pretty harmless to begin with that cause them to move on to the next person. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some disturbing images from what other users put up on Facebook but to not hire someone because they were at a party? For example: "Oh, Sally has a picture on Facebook playing beer pong at her friends 25th birthday party. Nope, no job for Sally" its bloody ridiculous. :/

I wonder if that could be classed as discrimination or prejudice of some kind?...

If you aren't comfortable with your bosses or potential employers looking you up online, then you've probably done something that would keep you from getting hired. Seriously, if they see that most of your pictures are partying or drinking then they will label you as unreliable and they will hire someone they can trust more.

That's complete bullshit, 67. Just because you have pictures of yourself drinking and having fun doesn't mean that you're unreliable. And what you do in your off time shouldn't affect your employment prospects, as long as it's not illegal. I know that employers pull this shit all the time, but it's incredibly terrible of them to do and should not be allowed.

Or here's an idea: if you don't want people judging you on the things you do and say, how about not doing, saying or posting about them in public? Make your profiles private, or don't post it. Chances are no one cares much about what you're posting on social media sites anyway (except for employers, etc. that are trying to get a general idea of who you are) so why bother?

even if the profile was private the employee would still be able to see it. best I can think of OP is just too explain the situation ahead of time that way if it comes up the already have a heads up... but not sure if that's the best of options tho.... good luck.....

I'm certain there are other ways for someone to tell if that Twitter account was actually you or not. Don't stress too much about it. You will get that job OP!

Unless your future employer is a complete moron then I'm pretty sure he/she will notice it's not you in the pictures

Another reason to be glad my name is spelled unconventionally.

xpokeloverx 6

They had it right. it is "Won't affect you." not "Won't effect you."