Smart

By Anonymous - 16/03/2011 17:20 - United Kingdom

Today, I went on a date, the first one I've been on since my last boyfriend broke up with me 6 months ago. We were at a restaurant, and at the end of meal he insisted on paying the bill. He wanted to leave a 15% tip but couldn't work out in his head how much to leave. The bill was for £100. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 928
You deserved it 14 687

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That isn't that bad. Atleast he wasn't making you pay :)

be glad someone spent $100 on a first date for you, when it's just a dinner.

Comments

KVKdragon 26

wow, expensive dinner. that's about $160 in US currency. OP, be thankful that he's going on a date with you and paying for the meal. there's plenty more FMLs here that talk about cheapskate BFs who make their dates pay for their own meal.

KVKdragon 26

sorry. I meant there're instead of there's

couchstealer 2

I calculate tip after tax so it would've been a tip on 120? or something like that. maybe that's what he was doing

nah. you get the bill with tax already added in uk.

does he happen to be a math professor at harvard??

OP is from the UK, where it is actually a very good tip indeed, as people actually get a decent minimum wage and don't rely on customers generosity.

perdix 29

If he's dumb enough to take you out, it's not surprising that he can't solve such a wicked hyper-analytical differential calculus problem. For my fellow stupid Americans, £100 is about 50% more money than $100.

At today's exchange rate, £100 is almost exactly US$160.

perdix 29

I'm at a hotel and saw that they are giving $1.46 for a British pound. In either case, my vague number of "about 50%" is correct enough.

Funnily enough, I actually wasn't trying to correct you. I thought your figure was pretty right and assumed it was off the top of your head. I was just trying to add information to your already valid point. Sorry if it came across any other way.

Plus the bill was £100, this must have been some serious meal ! 15% on that is a lot

Don't know why you have to attack him op... He was nervous and just because someone is bad at math that doesn't mean he's stupid.

women always have to complain about something. He paid for dinner cut him some slack

instead of taking the piss out of your new boyfriend maybe you should be glad that he spent 100 quid on you on a first date and wanted to give a generous tip by UK standards. ungrateful.

This is a good point also. He not only treated the girl well, but the restraint too. He seems like a good guy.