Revelation time

By Anonymous - 21/11/2009 12:56 - Finland

Spicy
Today, I found out that my mom had read my diary because she was worried. She now knows details about my depression, details about my sex life, such as how I lost my virginity, to whom (I don't have a boyfriend), and what condition I was in at the time (drunk as a duck). She also showed my dad. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 373
You deserved it 22 056

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Dont understand why ppl feel the need to keep a diary. It can only be used against you!

AnaMaree 0

Parents who read their kids diaries need to shove a stick up their ass.

Comments

dumb bitch good you deserve this cuz ur stupid nuff to right it down and not remember it from own memory

Firstly, it always amazes me that kids write all of their thoughts and actions in books, and then are surprised when somebody happens along said book. If you don't want somebody seeing all these things, I can only imagine the only logical approach to the situation would be to NOT write it all done, for everybody to read. I dunno. That's just me. And secondly, I know you're probably very angry that your mother read this book (which, if I may add again, YOU wrote and YOU left out). But consider this. Who are the people who raised you, fed you, clothed you, and protected you at all times? If you have good parents, which I can only assume you do if she is concerned with the actions you wrote down, then it's them who did this. They are there to protect you, and I know it's probably not what you want to hear. You posted this on FML to try to gain people on your side, but unfortunately, you are wrong in this situation. It's their house, and you do not pay rent. So really, nothing is really yours. I mean, sure you might've bought the diary, but them going through "your" room is not snooping, seeing as it is theirs. So they are completely right in their place to find out whether or not you are keeping yourself in a safe environment, which, if I may add, you have done a poor job of yourself. You're wrong. Get over it. And next time, don't right down all of your actions in a book for all to read.

I completely agree with this person. How could someone be stupid enough to write down secrets such as these?? DumbyFACE

Where does your information come from? Do you have some amazing power to see the whole story and not just the 300 words the OP is allowed to write? Because few of your facts are supported by the text, i suppose the main one is the rent issue, you have no idea that she isn't paying rent, you have no idea that she isn't paying for all the bills with her job since her parents can't work, and you have no idea that she isn't actualy her parents carer as my 19 year old friend is to his parents. Secondly may i point out she doesn't mention leaving her diary out, her parents may very well have ripped her room apart looking for it if they knew she kept one. And at no point does she say her parents are good or supportive, my parents threw my sister out for having sex at the legal age because they didn't approve and they searched her room for cigarettes and her diary, she then became homeless had to drop out of college and live on the dole until the council could find her a flat where she is still living three years later, with no job. How exactly was the woman who raised her being helpful and supportive in that situation?

"Today, I found out that my mom had read my diary because she was worried." sort of seems to support the "mom cares" assumption.

Who's to say it WASN'T left out, though? Again, the first sentence just says her mother read the diary. Perhaps it was left out, or the mother knew where it was all along? Either way, the mother was worried for some reason, and so decided to read it. That also implies that until she became worried, she had let her diary be, so it really makes me think the mother either just knew about the diary or knew where it was the whole time.

i agree with everyone saying she had a reason to be worried, but i think she should have talked to the op first instead of snooping. if she didn't say anything, there is always family and individual therapy. if her mom had done that first, maybe op would have told her instead of her having to read her diary. at least you will get help now, op. your mom went about it the wrong way, but you'll hopefully get the help you need and you won't feel the need to drink your feelings away and **** everyone. :)

FYL for being depressed. YDI for keeping a diary and expecting no one to ever find or read it. YDI for getting skunked and ******, while you're young enough to worry about your parents reading your diary and finding out, while you're (probably) still living under THEIR roof. Until you reach the age of majority and/or move out, you are their bitch. They feed, clothe, entertain, and educated you. They wiped your ass when you were a baby. You owe it to them to behave yourself and not embarrass them with whorish antics and drunkenness. It sucks that you've been depressed. But your problems are better solved with discussion, therapy, and possibly medication as given to you by a doctor....not with booze and cocks up your patootie. You've shown that you lack self-respect and self-control. And that can lead to SERIOUS problems, problems that will make "Mommy and Daddy read my diary" look fairly pleasant. If you keep on drinking and screwing, you could end up with a venereal disease. You could end up having someone slip you GHB or any other number of drugs in your drink, and possibly rape you while you're incapacitated. You could get arrested. You could piss off the wrong person while acting like a drunken fool, and end up getting hurt. And God forbid, you could get into a car and drive drunk, or be in the same car as a drunk driver. That could kill you. Learn your lesson from this. TALK to your parents. They will help you. They love you and are probably worried sick now that they know what sort of behavior you're engaging in. Get yourself help while you still can, before you end up in jail, treating a disease, or even dead.

Thats why you put those things on a computer. You can't put 256 bit encryption on a paper diary.

Haha well, she could always write her journals like daVinci did, but now that everyone knows how he disguised his writing, that wouldn't be very useful.

YDI for keeping stuff you don't want found out.

AmoraLynn 6

It sucks that your parents found out about these things this way but I'm assuming you still live with them and probably do not pay rent or help with any bills. If this is the case well they can do what they want its their house and in a few years when you're older and wiser you'll realize that she was just looking out for you and you'll thank her. On the off chance that you live with them pay rent and help with bills, then yes FYL because it is not appropriate for her to take something private of yours. But it still seems like she was just trying to find out more about you because she cares, so talk with them and hopefully get things sorted out for yourself. Hopefully the incident with the drinking and sex is something you learned from and haven't done again not because you may be too young for sex and drinking but because its not safe for anyone to mix the two that way. Good luck with your family I hope you can get the help you deserve to put your life in rights again.

It's not really appropriate for her mother to read her personal journal,just because she's not paying any rent or help with the bills. You can't do just anything you'd like to anyone who's under your roof and not paying you to stay there, and especially not if it's your children. A family doesn't consist of just the parents and the children are people the parents can treat however they like and pass it off as "looking out for them". Even children have the right to have a personal life. They have the right to write in a journal the parents can respect enough not to read. I believe that this is common sense and you have to treat everyone with respect. I don't say that all parents should ditch their children and let them do whatever they like, and sleep around do drugs etc etc. But reading their journals and installing tracking systems on their cellphones (I've heard of parents doing so), is just wrong. Does this show the children how they should treat each other, and their own children in the future? Probably not. Instead I think that they should talk to their children, let them know that they're there for them whenever they need them. And if the child show signs on depression, talk to them about it and if it gets worse, take them to a professional.

AmoraLynn 6

It may not be right that the mom read the diary and yes children need a certain amount of privacy but the fact is the mom was worried as the OP clearly states, we don't know if the mom tried speaking with the OP first and she refused to talk or if she just went snooping around for it with out asking first, but she did what any worried parent would do. No it wasn't fair to the OP for it to happen that way, but like I said now her parents will be able to help with her depression and now maybe she'll open a line of communication with her mom.

dnt write on your diary anymore! not safe...