Perfect!

By BahHumbug - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States - Painesville

Today, after weeks of keeping it a secret, I excitedly gave my boyfriend what I thought to be the perfect Christmas present. Turns out lock picking sets are illegal in Ohio. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 336
You deserved it 8 153

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wait, why would you buy your boyfriend a lock-picking set? Was it part of one of those corny things where you're all like "now you hold the key to everywhere... including my heart..." Or does he just enjoy breaking into houses? So many unanswered questions!

Comments

Seems obvious right? That something used for breaking into people's homes is illegal.

Actually no. its legal in a lot of states including Tennessee.

CheekyRaccoon 27

It could be used recreationally as a hobby and nothing more, seems obvious right?

You can use just about anything to break into a house. That's a lot of illegal stuff.

The sole purpose of a lock picking set is to pick locks. Which is usually reserved for people trying to get into places they shouldn't. So I really don't understand the amazement at the fact it's illegal.

Actually, most of the time burglars just break the lock because picking it takes too long.

Hm i wonder why screwdrivers arent illegal. After all, the guy who broke unti my parents home used one. I mean honestly cmon.

No one who breaks into a house is going to take the time to pick it. They need to be quick. Why waste time?

Guess we need to make bricks illegal. That's what they used to get into my house last week. Slim Jims for cars are illegal in my state. But I still have one in my trunk. Locksmiths are expensive and it only takes a few seconds to Jimmy a lock when my moron family members lock their keys in their cars, which happens at least once a week. (yeah, five sisters. It happens often.) Local cops know I have it, they've seen me use it. Thank God for small towns.

Liza_Thatch 18

unless you buy a pack of cards as well. then you're an escape artist and its a job or an aspiration

Well it is considered illegal in Ohio but really it's only "Prima Facie" or in other words if you're caught with them you are presumed guilty until you prove you are innocent.

Rosebudx 32

I have friends who went to some expo in California and learned to pick locks for fun. They aren't doing it for nefarious purposes or anything, I think one of them wanted to learn because of...Assassin's Creed or another game. Could be a situation like that.

It's fun to do in games, I'd like to try it irl.

Having that skill might come in handy! Not in the sense that he would illegaly break into someone's property, but if he loses a key for something. Also, it is actually pretty cool, I would bet.

kmw003 17

I've never needed a follow up so badly in my life.

If they're illegal, how did you get one? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm honestly really confused

Geckosrock99 33

Could have bought it online and the seller just shipped it without telling her its illegal in her state.

btbtbtbt 1

They are illegal to carry, but not illegal to own.

How did you ever get the idea that lock-picks would be the perfect present? - Particularly since it seems that your BF didn't suggest it?