Misunderstanding

By almostmugged - 17/09/2009 05:00 - United States

Today, as I was walking home, three burly men suddenly began to approach me. Thinking they were going to mug me, I reached for my pocketknife and said, "Stay away, I have a knife." Turns out they just wanted directions to an ice cream shop for their daughters, who were now bawling their eyes out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 054
You deserved it 55 260

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mafia leaders see their daughters during the week too. What's wrong with you?

They had their daughters with them at the time? If so, then you're an idiot.

Comments

how is your FML? "Today, I went up to someone to ask for directions for an ice cream shop, and they thretend me with a knife. I guess I look like a mugger. FML"

Pun_Intended 0

That's not a knoife...THAT'S a knoife!

why the hell do u even carry a knife i was stabbed last year by someone like u, and its not nice, alright ****** OP

You're a bandit who mugs people? If so, YDI, why are you so surprised people stab at muggers??

noo, i was stabbed by someone who assumed i was someone i wasnt

.........how did you not see the little girls? YDI for overreacting

So if you ******* SAW the kids with them, why the hell would you assume they'd mug you in front of their little kids? Dumb-ass OP. FYL indeed.

Many people use kids as distraction when begging or pickpocketing etc. Some do when mugging too. The OP probably thought it was the case. He still pulled out the knife far too early.

One of the reasons why you NEVER reveal your weapon so early... That and, you're pretty much giving up on ALL your surprise element advantage if they know what you have and that you have it, so long ahead of time. Always wait to see what a potential mugger will do or have, and then, react accordingly. (That also lets you cooperate calmly instead of pulling a knife, in case it turns out the guy has a gun and fighting is not such a good option after all...) Pulling a knife on a mugger, yes, perfectly fine. Doing so too early without even knowing if a situation is truly about to happen or not, not good.

"stereotypes are rarely correct for criminal types" HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. *points at you and laughs until tomorrow* Have you ever been to a Police station and been showed all those suspect pictures to try and identify someone who mugged you? And was unable to because they all looked/dressed/stood and all so very much the same that you could barely tell them apart from each other? Racial stereotypes are bad and something that must be avoided, but criminal stereotypes are another thing. Guys who look like muggers are rarely out to collect for the red cross.

I didn't press YDI because you had a knife and was prepared to use it. I know how it feels, I've been robbed twice and almost mugged 3 times where I live, I've been carrying that knife considering it was my only protection. I did on the other hand pressed YDI because you obviously don't even know when to reveal your knife. You did this way to early and you got guilty because of it. Keep the knife with you, don't threathen early.

kellster 2

Well, to be fair, you don't know that they weren't going to mug you! And if you live in a big city, better safe than sorry, right? As #72 said, pick pockets and such do use kids as distractions. But yeah, sounds like you jumped the gun a little. Teach yourself how to unfold the knife with one hand in your pocket. Then you can be prepared without having getting crazy right from the get-go in the future.

You're all pricks who say he deserves it. Those three men couldn't yell out to him to ask directions, they had to approach him at the same time? My friend was almost mugged once, and if he couldn't run as fast as he could he would have been. Should he have just sat there and let them mug him? Pricks