Funny, thanks

By picklebug - 26/07/2013 16:25 - United States - Minneapolis

Today, I was taken to the hospital after I fell down the stairs. The physician who saw me bit his lip and said he would have to amputate my foot, and I fainted in terror. One of the nurses later told me to "learn to take a damn joke." FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 716
You deserved it 10 282

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow I get that it was a joke but that's horrible to scare someone like that

Teddzz 19

Being a doctor, he should know not to make such jokes. Not everyone takes them.

Comments

Wow I get that it was a joke but that's horrible to scare someone like that

I agree with you but after reading a lot of FMLs with people who were joking this case doesn't have much weight in my opinion

salazara 10

Well, that's medical humour at its best!

If anything, medical humour should be between doctors not the between doctor and a patient. A joke to lighten the mood I can understand. Something as horrible as losing a limb (or worse) is just putting your patient in a worse mental condition. It's not professional IMO.

The key is to know how uptight your patient is before you make a joke. People don't want to hear it, but after a long day of dealing with REAL emergencies, a sprained ankle can make eyes roll in an ER.

#76 OP wouldn't know it was only a sprained ankle. My parents, both RNs, thought I just sprained my foot, but a few days later when we went to the urgent care, we found out it was broken. And some people break easily and panic over small things because for them they could be big things. My dad worked as a paramedic and an ER nurse and I know he never rolled his eyes at any one from perfume up a butt to major bullet wounds. These both happened.

Teddzz 19

Being a doctor, he should know not to make such jokes. Not everyone takes them.

Seems like the doctor had a severe case of foot-in-mouth syndrome.

Oh stub it #27! I was hopping you could take the joke all in your stride! As for OP, the nurse was cutting it straight to the point on that one :)

TheDrifter 23

But it sure did calm OP down in a hurry, straight to sleep and relaxed.

Sounds like something Docbastart would say

Who the hell is Docbastart? He sounds like an asshole.

Elfkid21 19

he sounds like an enemy that spider man would have.

Thats kinda unprofessional, unless you knew that doctor as a friend.

Extremely unprofessional no matter what...

He's right, not as if your foot was hanging off is it?

Maybe he can give you some humour pills once he's removed your foot?

How id that even remotely funny? The nerve of some people. Geez.

My id thought it was funny... Then my superego made me sit in timeout.

Pretty scary but it mustve been hilarious afterwards... at least to him