Confused

By anonymous - 12/12/2015 20:58 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my stepmom sat me down and told me that she doesn't think that my dad is my biological father because she hasn't gotten pregnant from him. I don't think she quite understands the concept of being a stepmom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 354
You deserved it 2 263

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Omfgitsmia 15

I think your stepmom is implying that your dad is sterile. She means that siince she's never gotten pregnant from him, your mom probably didn't either.

Comments

what she was trying to tell you was that your father is impotent, other words your real mother must have had someone on my side, that is why your father cannot impregnate your stepmother...

I believe that "infertile" is the word you were looking for. Not "impotent". However, the step mom is automatically assuming that 1) the infertility is on his side and not hers, 2) that even if he is infertile now, that he always has been, and 3) that it was appropriate to call the OP's mother a cheater without any facts whatsoever.

Oh. That was rude. Even if your dad is sterile now (not proved), you were not conceived yesterday, he well could have been fertile enough back then, when he was much younger.

No, OP, it means that you don't understand reproductive biology. She is obviously trying to get prego and inferring his infertility from the failure. See how that works?

The step-mother is still making a pretty large assumption. She may be infertile herself, but even if he is sterile, that doesn't mean he has always been. Not being able to conceive a child with a man is not a logical basis to infer that his daughter is not his biological daughter.

It's also an incredibly rude and hurtful thing to say. Fortunately, it seems to have gone right over op's head.

BuckNekkid 22

sorry but it sounds like maybe you didn't understand her....she seems to be implying he's shooting blanks.

A huge assumption on her part that the infertility is automatically on his end and not hers. Especially if she has never had children(which we do not know whether she does or not) and he obviously has. Even if they have had tests done and it IS on his part that doesn't mean that he was always infertile. Aside from all that, it was not her place to even come to her step child and say anything like that. She is way out of line.

From how I read it, it just might be that they're banging on the regular, unprotected, but she is yet to get pregnant. Still, could be just as well a problem with her piping.

bad_boyfriend 10

I used to work with a guy who had a vasectomy and did not tell his second wife. She was young and he was loaded. She wanted kids and he did not. I always felt bad for her, she was too dumb to figure in out and he was happy to keep "trying"

actually my husband has 2 children that aren't biologically his from a previous relationship..we found out when she had paternity tests done with the other fathers behind his back and she told my husband's sister about it..he had been with her and many other women and never got any of them pregnant.. we didn't think we could ever have kids together...so I can understand what the step mom is saying...does it mean she is accurate? no. but the lady isn't a complete idiot..I miraculously did get pregnant in 2014.. but it took him years before having any biological children. he never used protection with anybody he was ever with before me..he has low sperm count.

He is my biological father, he had a vasectomy a few years ago and my step mom didn't know about it plus she's very dumb and thought that since she didn't give birth to me I must be adopted. She's only 10 years older than me (I'm 16) and is as dumb as a sack of bricks. She's just my dads arm candy.

I highly doubt she's THAT stupid, unless she was dropped on her head as a baby or something. If you truly are the OP, and the way you worded it was similar to how she said it, it seems more likely that you simply misunderstood what she was trying to tell you. Still a huge assumption on her part, implying either desperation or stupidity anyways, but I really can't imagine any 26-year-old idiotic enough to not understand that children from a previous relationship come from a previous wife/gf. In any case, I seriously hope for humanity's sake that you simply misunderstood (either because she explained it badly or because your disdain for her clouded your perception) because anyone that dumb is just...just...well they have issues.