By BrokeAF - 20/07/2017 05:01

Today, I had to empty out my coin jar to pay for gas. Trying to be considerate, I only brought quarters, but the cashier refused to take it because they didn't want to count out my $10. I don't know how I'll get to work today. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 414
You deserved it 473

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ohsnapword 21

Coins are legal tender. By law, they have to be accepted.

your_face619 4

why don't you count it yourself and present them in groups of four instead of giving them the big ass pile of coins

Comments

Unfortunately, in some places you may only use change up to a certain amount. For example, I worked at a gas station that only took $5 of change for a single transaction, and that was generally a flexible kindness. If it were all pennies, we could still deny it. It's usually because counting change takes longer and therefore holds up the other customers. Not because the cashier is lazy or just being a dick.

That establishment is violating federal law.

I would have just left my money on the counter and drive away. Can't call on the cops for theft because I did leave the change their.

In the UK coins over a certain amount is not legal tender. 1p's and 2p's are up to and including 20pence combined. 5p's and 10ps up to £5 combined. 20p's and 50p's are up to £10 each. Then pound coins have no limit. I can't say for certain what the limits are in America but I would be very surprised if they didn't exist. Your local bank would swap them out for higher demoninations if you take them in.

corky1992 33

i dont think they can refuse. Quarters wouldnt take that long to count.

thurley42 6

They can absolutely refuse

This is one of those situations where you should have stood there and refused to leave the line until the cashier did what is part of his/her job (after all, you did not have a way to get to work). If you were planning to buy like $50 worth of gas or wanted to pay it with 5 or 10 cents, I can understand why the cashier would give you a hard time, but you clearly did not do that. I hope in the end that the cashier gave in in the end, or some good samaritan was willing to take your change for a bill instead.

I would have used the LPG already in the car to drive to work. You would think they would want your money rather than having to chase up the $10 after you leave (despite whatever maximum of coins the law states are legal tender in your area).

thurley42 6

Seriously? Paying for gas with change? Cmon man

Sounds like a shitty employee to me. At the gas station I worked at we were required to take whatever change people gave us. I had to count out a crown royal bag full of change only for the guy to pump $5 into his truck and make me give him cash back

JeepChick_917 6

They have to take it ... it's illegal if they don't

It's not illegal at all. They could just say you're disrupting the workplace and refuse service. Governments must take every legal tender, and banks do too but they can request in rolls only.

milksquad 11

I'm pretty sure it's illegal in many states (and strongly discouraged in most businesses) for cashiers to accept more than $2 worth in change.