Unionize!

By Anonymous - 07/09/2013 04:37 - United States - West Hartford

Today, I found out the unionized cleaning people that empty the garbage and clean the toilets make $19/hr and have more paid time off than I do with my college degree. FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 355
You deserved it 7 325

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks op, but if you go through your career focusing on what others are earning you'll never be satisfied

Go clean up someone else's crap and report back to us on whether or not you still believe they should be paid so little.

Comments

Wow... y'all need to move to Australia... The cleaners at my local shopping mall make $40 an hour.

Reading is hard. Was wondering why cleaning people would be (un)-ionized....hm, that might be enough for an FML of its own.

Walled 1

Lol, at the people saying "I've done it, it's not that hard". Yes anyone can clean, but most cannot clean well. I've been in the cleaning (hotels, houses, schools) business for 30 years. I train people and I can tell you that no, everybody cannot do it to the standards that are required for a professional company. I can say that about 90% of people we train don't last longer than a week and most don't make it to the second day. Not only do you have to deal with the filthy messes that people seem to think they can leave, but you have to deal with their crappy attitudes as well. Some people seem to think that all cleaners are uneducated peons that should make no more than minimum wage and apparently they are all thieves as well. It's a highly stressful job. Being told you're not worth the money you make everyday gets to you. Also some of you seem to be under the impression that the only things that are ever cleaned are toilets and garbage cans. Yeah, no. When I worked at a middle and high school we had to: Clean the bathrooms (all the toilets, urinals, the walls where the boys would see how far they could piss up the walls. The sinks, the mirrors, the floors, the stall doors and walls, empty and clean the garbage cans. The baseboards, door frames and all fixtures. ) All of it everyday. How many bathrooms do you have in your school or work place?. The kitchen and cafeteria: All the equipment, the microwave, the walls, the floors, the baseboards, the tables the chairs, the floor mats, the garbage cans and all the fixtures. All of it everyday. Teachers lounge and kitchen: The microwave, the refrigerator, the tables the chairs, the baseboards, the walls, vacuum, sweep and mop. Dust the shelves, clean the counters, clean the cabinets. Empty and clean the garbage cans. All of it everyday. The common areas, the walls, the baseboards, sweep, vacuum and mop. All fixtures all cabinets and display cases all furniture. Clean gum off of the floors, walls and display cases. All of it everyday. The classroom: Pick all the pens, pencils and paper off the floors, vacuum all floors, clean the chalkboard, dust the shelves and cases. Clean all desks and chairs including any gum stuck on them (or under). Clean windows. Baseboards, doors, door frame and all fixtures. Empty and clean all garbage cans. All of it everyday. Gym: Floors, baseboards, fixtures, door and door frames, empty and clean garbage cans, clean bleachers. Clean showers, lockers and benches and office. All of it everyday. Offices: clean and dust desks, empty and clean all garbage cans, all fixtures, baseboards, floors, chairs, doors and windows. All of it everyday. Halls: vacuum, sweep, mop. Walls, baseboards, fixtures. Display cabinets. All of it everyday. The after being on our feet for 10 hours we then had to take the huge pile of garbage to the dumpster and wash all the rags and mop heads that we used. There is more but seriously I thought I covered most of it. That's just the schools. Hotels and houses are an entirely different and even more difficult job where you have to deal with used condoms, crap stained underwear (have people no shame?) and other nasty things I'd rather not get into. So for those of you who think we get paid too much, suck it! It's hard work and we deserve what we get.

sounds like a personal problem. look for a new job and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

simply because its the job no one wants. gotta make it worth it

Maybe there should be unions for all jobs then.

Join the club; we have jackets. Well, we WOULD have jackets if we could find a job to afford them.

LarissaT18 18

Jobs people don't like doing generally pay more.

an3ph 20

Hey, you want to do that work? For what they are willing to put up with, they deserve it!