By Tom Ali - 10/01/2012 20:50 - United States

Today, while driving to my girlfriend's house, I passed up a stop sign without stopping. A car passing by honked. I honked back several times and flipped them the finger. Turns out it was my girlfriend's dad trying to say hi. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 211
You deserved it 65 122

Same thing different taste

Comments

Deitiy 0

Oh you sir, are the best boyfriend ever.

You are such a jerk... Maybe this will teach you to obey the rules; they are there for a reason.

15, This would be true years ago, these days there are plenty of barriers in place on the road that exist only to cover the ass of the local councils (this applies where I live, but in a highly litigious area such as the US I assume this would also apply). Plenty only really apply in peak hour traffic. If this was in the early hours of the morning or late at night with few cars around and high visibility then I could see this as being safe. I wouldn't say the average person should run stop signs all the time, or even complain if they were to get caught at any time, but keep in mind that it isn't always wrong. Go ahead and thumb me down now, we all know you people don't think for yourselves.

I thumbed you down cause of the arrogant, "I'm better than everyone" final sentence and nothing more.

ThecomingofTan 9

62, I thumbed you down because your comment didn't make me want to touch myself, and I need that.

64, I was simply pointing out an observation. The second someone says something that deviates from the straight edge 'follow the rules because we are all obedient little pets and other assume others know better because we don't want to have to accept responsibility for our own actions' theory they get thumbed down. 110, I knew I was missing something there...

You got thumbed down because giving the advice of "it's okay to run stop signs when no one will catch you and you THINK it's safe" is just stupid. You are breaking a law. Stop signs are there for a reason, they aren't just a suggestion, and they typically aren't just thrown around all willy-nilly to piss off drivers. I thumbed you down because your arrogance and advice are two of the major reasons why there are so many accidents. People that think the rules don't apply to them.

129, Tell me then, why would I need to stop at an intersection with full visibility - I know for a fact there are no cars around, and am travelling at a safe speed? If you're going to respond with "because it's the law" then don't even bother, but if there is a legitimate reason for someone to stop then please tell me as I will need to reconsider my own driving. By the way, that wasn't what I said at all.

OCDC 9

Cars aren't the only things you need to watch out for at stop signs. My friend's little brother was killed because some idiot ran a stop sign and hit him. Children are not always the easiest to spot, and they aren't likely to think about the consequences before they run out in the middle of the road when a car is coming. Not to mention stop signs are the ******* LAW. They weren't made to be suggestions, they were made to be followed to prevent shit like this. Is this a valid enough reason as to why you always stop at stop signs, or at least slow down?

blueeyedwolf 10

Also, what if there was a car coming with it's headlights off at night? Not so easy to see and easy to hit if you run that stop sign. Just stop now because you are digging yourself deeper into a hole. Stop signs have reasons.

Yeah I think I will stop, I'm wasting my time with such narrow minded fools.

blueeyedwolf 10

If you want to run stop signs, just make sure the only person you injure or kill is yourself.

KiddNYC1O 20

There's high visibility at night? Hmm, I ought to visit my oculist...

Ah 150, something resembling a rational response - I only saw it after posting my previous reply. Except I did specify full visibility. This implies the area is well lit. Who goes around running every single red light or stop sign they see in whatever conditions? I'm simply saying there do exist times when the circumstances do not warrant stopping. For example near me is a road that is heavily used during work hours and after that it remains a dead zone, so there is a traffic light there which exists only to keep the traffic flowing from the side street that otherwise wouldn't have a chance in hell of merging with traffic safely. In addition there is a stop sign near me which existed because there was poor visibility from a nearby apartment block, the block was bulldozed and now you can see the entire length of the road, but of course the sign remains. A little common sense and not just the "b-b-but the law :(" nonsense would actually be useful in these situations.

blueeyedwolf 10

Like I said, do what you want, but you had better not injure or kill someone who is innocent because you THINK it's OK not to stop at stop signs all the time.

f_my_flip_life 5

Don't argue with an idiot (Downtime). He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

167, But it also depends on your definition of wrong. To me, it isn't wrong to break the law as the law is fallible, but that's beside the point. Your summation is mostly accurate...

Oh! Another soap opera! With one of the same people, how intriguing...

Well since right and wrong are subjective there really is no correct answer. I don't plan to live my life based on the opinions of other people, though I welcome well thought out justifications for changing my own moral code. That said, this isn't really the place for long winded discussions of this nature, so I'm going to drop it. Have a good day/night.

every1luvsboners 11

Downtime, you don't run stop signs simply because it's illegal. Once you get a $200 ticket I'm sure mommy and daddy will have the same talk with you. I hope you're trolling or 15 year old idiot because no-one could possibly be this arrogant and stupid. Child please.

62, you're a ******* moron. The point is, there could be someone else going across your way at any time, and what do you know, there's an accident because you ran a stop sign. How about you try thinking, because thinking for yourself obviously isn't working. Op never said he looked before going. Stop making up scenarios that don't apply to this fml.

Downtime. I know you probably won't read this. I just wanted to say, please follow the law. I understand what you are trying to say with your example about the traffic light in peak hour. I understand where you're coming from I do! But to say that you think you know better than and are 'higher than' the law is a truely imbecilic and arrogant comment. Despite what you may think, you do not know better. I just hope that one day you run that traffic light in the middle of the night and get hit by a truck. Not to kill you, but to total your car and give you a bit of a wake up call. I'm not narrow minded, I'm not 'following the crowd'. I am plain and simple speaking unfortunately from experience and heartbreake. Don't make a stupid mistake one day and hurt innocent people. If you read this, thank you for your time. God bless. x

Downtime: Your comments are so goddamn long that I just thumbed them down.

Downtime you should stop. Your part of the problem here.

So you broke the law and you flipped someone off who honked at you because you thought they were being rude? Is that what you're saying here? You're a tool.

Well ur not going to get his blessing..

borkchop1992 15

i hate asshole drivers like you that honk and swear like a bunch of little bitches

NoobyNed 4

LOL I died of laughter from that comment.

If you drive like a rational person you never really see those people very often...

borkchop1992 15

try driving in europe its like war

Your kool. If someone honks at me I just wave. Makes them real happy whenever your happy that they honked;D

lindseykcool 6

There are so many grammatical errors in this comment. I don't know where to begin.

MonGuillaume 2

Big deal, its not like he was being a jackass or trying to prove a point where correct spelling and grammar is necessary. I, personally, type like I speak.

"...where correct spelling and grammar IS necessary"? I love people who talk trying to sound intelligent yet they screw up basic grammar and end up sounding silly.

justanotherbird 19

What an idiot. You drive like an asshole and then get all bitchy with the horn too. YDI simply for your level of stupidity.

Snafuusmc 12

Simply don't get mad at things. Count to 10.

GoW_Chick 14

Just tell him it's the new cool way to say hi, and next time stop at the damn stop sign before you get yourself or someone else hurt dumbass.