By Anonymous - 31/03/2013 20:34 - United States - Indianapolis

Today, what started as a fun family Easter egg hunt turned within minutes into my mother-in-law's big chance to be a dramatic cow by screaming at my 5 and 7-year-old daughters for participating in a "vile pagan ritual" and saying that we're all going to hell. They're still bawling. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 887
You deserved it 2 639

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Brenna19 5

I would have slapped her into eternity!

Ugh. The amount of people that still think like a 16th century Puritan...

Comments

And where was OP's spouse during all of this? I'm sure this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Maybe this person should be around the kids less, if they can't act decently. Not exactly Christ-like behavior IMO.

Tell her to look up the real history behind Easter. Easter has been celebrated long before Christianity ever made use of it, though it was a celebration to the god Ishtar (pronounced the same as Easter), a fertility goddess (hence the egg being associated with the holiday). That'll throw her in for a loop!

She doesn't think it has to do with Christianity.. She called it a "vile Pagan ritual" So telling her that will probably just get her going more about how it is Pagan.

Hello cat brother, I hope you will be Nein one day.

She's probably refering to the egg hunt, not Easter itself. Both are technically pagan in origin, though the latter was Christianized by factoring Jesus into it.

monnanon 13

hunting for eggs is a relatively new thing. pagans rolled painted eggs to capture the bad spirits in the land and ensure the ferility of the land but did not go looking for them. that aside there is nothing wrong with following the more pagan parts of the holiday if you are christian it doesnt detract from what the day means to christians its just a fun part for kids.

Tell her to go suck a big fat egg.

fuckmylife518 15

Your mother-in-law's a bitch. She may be your husband's mother, but she has no right at all the scream at your little daughters. I would say screw your husband and tell him it's either his mother or you because you're not going to put your daughters through that again. Your first priority is to protect them, especially when they're little, from bad influences, and she is CLEARLY one of them. Good luck.

fuckmylife518 15

Either way, your first priority is always to your kids. I stay by what I said, just reversing gender roles (sorry about that...)

Some people use religion as an excuse to be bullies or jerks.

I am pagan, and paganism is mostly the worship of nature, and it's beauty. I find her words to be very frustrating!

Sonfang 19

I agree, it's always frustrating when someone who doesn't know about the religion(s) insults them. I am pagan as well, but during college I did part of my internship volunteering at a church. There was a lady that I had to politely put up with for months as she bashed, insulted, and ranted about my religion. She had a story of when she owned a shop, she loved and was proud of that she "fought off Satan and his advances" by blasting Christian music around their shops. That she was on the decorating comity and would never accept any of the ideas from the wiccan woman, and that she celebrated when the pagan shop closed down. This crazy grandma needs to do some studying on Easter in the Christian religion. Egg hunts are usually innocent, and now just for fun.

You know, I normally tolerate the Elderly's ignorance of modern society but this just takes the cake. How dare she scrutinize your young children over their beliefs--especially when they've probably only been exposed to two or three religions. UGHHH the nerve.

I tolerate it as well. But sometimes its so bad I just can't handle it.

Sometimes it's kinda funny. Today my grandfather said, "I don't understand all these white broads dating these ni****s." (blocked it for moderation purposes). It was just funny because of the language. He's so blunt and honest it can be funny.

Sonfang 19

Depending on Grandpas age and where he grew up it was probably appropriate during his youth to call Blacks the "n-word." And now it's just a part of who he is, he may not be trying to be racist. I've heard older black people use "reverse racism" just because it is what they were raised with.

It's not being racist...being racist is making fun of them or disrespecting them. Now it is sort of disrespectful but I found it funny because my mom and I were talking about it the other day. Pardon me for not clarifying.

lilpup45 6

I've heard there are plenty of sink holes opening up;)

She is right in the sense that it is a pagan holiday. Most " Christian" holidays are. Old Christians adopted the holidays to convert people of different religions to christianism. Although this does not give her the right to yell at the kids for something that has been a part of it for centuries

nina21194 12

Our entire calendar is Pagen as well as the religious days we celebrate.